Dunlop Introduces The Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

jcyphe

Dunlop Introduces The Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face

Post by jcyphe »

Dunlop for the most part has made Fuzz Faces that are average. This one is supposed to have an improved circuit. I think this one is cool looking, it would suck if they had a crappy circuit in it.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Yeah...I dunno.

was the Jimi Hendrix Wah any good?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Yeah, I definitely like the aesthetics.

In other news I got this today:

From the same editor as:

Which is also in the mail.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:Yeah, I definitely like the aesthetics.

From the same editor as:

hahaha

You're a guitar nerd like me. I've read that effects book in Borders before. I got a collection of Guitar Books too.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Looks like they also copied Roger Mayer's Octavia and called it "octovio". Again another nice housing but I wonder what the circuit will sound like. I like the Tone Bender style housing, I wonder if this means somebody is making them now.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

These are the beginnings of my guitar nerd collection - although I do have a tech book called The Complete Electric Guitar or something which shows you how to fix up and maintain guitars - this is the start of my electronicsy guitar stuff.

I have too much music journalism/theory stuff though.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I'd like to know how Dunlop have "improved the circuit" if they've gone with the germanium transistors....an enclosed climatised compartment maybe?
Silicon replacements where supposed to be an improvement but everyone still hunts down the older ones.
I look forward to reading what they say on fuzz central and GC about them.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Fran wrote:I'd like to know how Dunlop have "improved the circuit" if they've gone with the germanium transistors....an enclosed climatised compartment maybe?
Silicon replacements where supposed to be an improvement but everyone still hunts down the older ones.
This one is modeled after Hendrix's later fuzz that was a Sillicon fuzz. The original Dallas Arbiter made Ge and Si versions. The red Dunlop Fuzz faces were Germanium and from what i understand since they were mass produced they didn't really measure all the Transistors to insure they had values that were optimal in the circuit. So you have some that sound good a lot that sound bad.

People hunt down both the old GE and Si Dallas Arbiter versions, they use them for different apllications, just like Hendrix did.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

jcyphe wrote:
Fran wrote:I'd like to know how Dunlop have "improved the circuit" if they've gone with the germanium transistors....an enclosed climatised compartment maybe?
This one is modeled after Hendrix's later fuzz that was a Sillicon fuzz. The original Dallas Arbiter made Ge and Si versions. The red Dunlop Fuzz faces's were Germanium and from what i understand since they were mass produced they didn't really measure all the Transistors to insure they had values that were optimal in the circuit. So you have some that sound good a lot that sound bad.
I thought Hendrix moved onto silicon with Roger Mayer... Not Dallas? Maybe i misread in the past.
I know the red ones are crappy, i built a clone a while ago with 'matched' germ transistors and on its night it sounded amazing. But as you know the germ is unpredictable with temperatures and needless to say on a hot stage with the lighting it let me down badly one night.

I can't wait to hear it though, a good fuzz face produces one of the greatest guitar sounds ever imo.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Fran wrote: I thought Hendrix moved onto silicon with Roger Mayer... Not Dallas? Maybe i misread in the past.
I know the red ones are crappy, i built a clone a while ago with 'matched' germ transistors and on its night it sounded amazing. But as you know the germ is unpredictable with temperatures and needless to say on a hot stage with the lighting it let me down badly one night.

I can't wait to hear it though, a good fuzz face produces one of the greatest guitar sounds ever imo.
Roger Mayer worked on Jimmy's gear. He built him some custom boxes like the Octavia and some other fuzzes of his own design, but the Fuzz Faces were Dallas Arbiter pedals Mayer would tweak them I think to get them sounding best. But Hendrix did use both versions as produced by Dallas Arbiter.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

jcyphe wrote:
Fran wrote: I thought Hendrix moved onto silicon with Roger Mayer... Not Dallas? Maybe i misread in the past.

Roger Mayer worked on Jimmy's gear. He built him some custom boxes like the Octavia and some other fuzzes of his own design, but the Fuzz Faces were Dallas Arbiter pedals Mayer would tweak them I think to get them sounding best. But Hendrix did use both versions as produced by Dallas Arbiter.
Cool. I know Mayer split (used both) the transistors germ and silicon in one pedal. To try and counteract the problems.
From what i have heard/tried i still prefer all germanium although i was'nt overly impressed with 'Fulltones' versions.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Mike wrote:Yeah, I definitely like the aesthetics.

From the same editor as:

How is the Amp book? Let us know how the effects book is too. I know some stuff about effects circuits and etc because I've been researching it for about six years now but I like books instead of the internet.
euan
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Fran wrote:
Cool. I know Mayer split (used both) the transistors germ and silicon in one pedal. To try and counteract the problems.
From what i have heard/tried i still prefer all germanium although i was'nt overly impressed with 'Fulltones' versions.
I got an empty Fuzz Face case from Shadow in a trade and I'm going to do the same thing, a hybrid ge/si.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

jcyphe wrote:
Fran wrote:
I got an empty Fuzz Face case from Shadow in a trade and I'm going to do the same thing, a hybrid ge/si.
Be sure to post up some samples if you do. :wink:
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Mike wrote:
From the same editor as:

GREATEST BOOK EVAR
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

More Cowbell wrote:Yeah...I dunno.

was the Jimi Hendrix Wah any good?
I had the Hendrix Fuzz Wah, and it was way cool.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

jcyphe wrote:
Fran wrote:
Dew it!
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

*edited by Doog*
Last edited by More Cowbell on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

FFS.. can we just stop with the intentional shit-stirring? It's really wearing thin.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

jcyphe wrote:[
This one is modeled after Hendrix's later fuzz that was a Sillicon fuzz. The original Dallas Arbiter made Ge and Si versions. The red Dunlop Fuzz faces were Germanium and from what i understand since they were mass produced they didn't really measure all the Transistors to insure they had values that were optimal in the circuit. So you have some that sound good a lot that sound bad.
I tried one of the red ones years ago and it sounded dreadful, I was really disapointed with it...