Fuck me - Fender '57 Tweed Deluxe

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Fuck me - Fender '57 Tweed Deluxe

Post by Mike »

This is one ace sounding amp

Not particularly when he dimes the volume (sweaty pig, wtf?) but at like 3-4 it sounds fucking brilliant - really dynamic response to picking strength
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I think the first truely Genius amp Fender made was the Bassman. That amp is way overpriced for what it is and what it does.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Not really - it's much lower wattage so you can actually overdrive it.

It's extremely expensive and I'll never buy one but this is a great sounding amplifier.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Mike wrote:Not really - it's much lower wattage so you can actually overdrive it.

It's extremely expensive and I'll never buy one but this is a great sounding amplifier.
how many people are already making that kit for about 1/3 of the price? It is overpriced. It's not something that has features that warrant $1700 and it's not vintage no matter how much they bang on about the recreation. They're are also a bunch of boutique makers like Victoria and Clark who have been doing that same style amp for years and probably better than the Fender.

YAWN.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I've already conceded it's too expensive, there's no need to prattle on about the price.

Secondly there is no boutique market here in the UK and regardless of how expensive the Fender would work out cheaper than buying from one of those manufacturers, shipping and paying import duty upon it.

Anyways it sounds crunchy and delicious.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I should state too, I'm not the biggest fan of the Fender amps. Leo is credited as being the biggest genius in the amp world. But I find Fender amps either annoying loud and clean or underwhelming with boring features and a breakup/overdrive I don't like. Also they mostly sound best with Fender guitars and Fender style pickups.

the 57 is a perfect example. You look at Leo's amps in the 50's and for the most part he wasn't really doing anything groundbreaking they're all very conservative and simple circuits. Nathan Daniel on the other hand was already building amps with Tremolo and Reverb. The Bassman is undeniable and a couple of his more complicated 60's Designs with complicated "Vibrato" that he designed to compete with the real and cool Pitch Vibrato of Magnatone but that's about all I like from Fender.
Last edited by jcyphe on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Mike wrote: Secondly there is no boutique market here in the UK
I think the closest we have to Boutique is Marshalls handwired series and Conford. Maybe Matamp. But these are hardly two guys in a garage operations. It's quite a shame really.

I think a lot of the guys with tube knowledge here, or audio electronics in general, end up in the hi end hifi industry that does not too bad here.
euan
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

euan wrote:
Mike wrote: Secondly there is no boutique market here in the UK
I think the closest we have to Boutique is Marshalls handwired series and Conford. Maybe Matamp. But these are hardly two guys in a garage operations. It's quite a shame really.

I think a lot of the guys with tube knowledge here, or audio electronics in general, end up in the hi end hifi industry that does not too bad here.
I was thinking today why Marshall doesn't have a Custom Shop. Do you know how many geezers are out there who would pay top dollar, for hand wired Marshalls in their choice of Tolex Color and configuration and other "upgradeable" features. There are already tons of Companies out there doing that and Marshall could wax them all if they did. Cause everyone wants that Marshall logo on their Plexi.

Mesa has one.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:I should state too, I'm not the biggest fan of the Fender amps.
I'm actually completely with you on this, I find twins stupid big heavy clean things. As I player I just don't need that amount of clean headroom and one dimensionality, and the modern fender overdrive like that sticky crap the Hot Rods produce is far from charming.

Hence why i was impressed with the '57 - the first fender overdriven sound I have actually enjoyed. As you well know we deviate somewhat after this point since I would cite the JCM800 overdriven sound as my favourite amp sound, and love the fact it is encapsulated in my 6100.

As regards the Marshall custom shop - it's probably that Plexis are not that hard to come by over here - they're abundant on ebay. My favourite (the JMP50 2x12" combos) will be mine one day.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Becuase Marshall like Fender is stuck in its hertitage? I think a lot of British companies in general get stuck in this rut and never truely move on. To be fair though, neither really has the music instruments industry in general.

It takes the little guys getting their stuff to big artists to really change things because we all know Fender/Marshall etc won't really take risks in alienating it's doctors and lawyers fans.

I guess though thats really a seperate issue.

I think the only Fender that I've wanted to truely own was the Paul Riveria designed Deluxe Reverb II. I played one in the second hand shop opposite Musicground in Leeds and it was fun.

I love the sounds that Fenders make in the studio, after theyve been mastered, but thats about it. There is a guy in Glasgow who play a solid state Deluxe 112 in his band and it sounds way too good live. Though I think that's more to do with his style than the amp itself.
euan
Mark

Post by Mark »

I think fender amps are great for overdriven and clean tones. For what i play (surf, rockabilly) it beats any other amps. Tremolo and reverb is all it needs in my case.

Only this I hate about this amp is the 'pig' tones at 12.
vivadeluxxe

Post by vivadeluxxe »

The overdrive channel on my 90s Twin is suprisingly good...
I used to use it with a muff and an OD1 thru the clean channel, but live the OD channel on it's own sounded better than both...
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

very nice
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

im gonna kill for that ltd fender 57. its just amazing...amazing
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Funking hell
Shabba.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Okay finally home and could listen to that.

HOT.
euan
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

that new '57 sounds fantastic. though the tweed re-isuse is hawt. i didnt know they re-issued the tweed twins. those are lovely amps too.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Mike wrote:Secondly there is no boutique market here in the UK

who the hell needs boutique when you got this?

dots wrote:incesticide
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

rob does have a point there.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I've never played a Hiwatt amp, except fro like a solidstate one at a music shop trying overdrive pedals - does that count?