Tremelo Noise while not engaged HELP

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

More Cowbell

Tremelo Noise while not engaged HELP

Post by More Cowbell »

WELL...before I go google huntin I want to ask the pedal guru's first. I was at practice Thurs. night and had me Boss Tr2 tremelo pedal that I did the resistor mods to, and the fx chain goes Guitar into Dungflop Crybaby Wah/TU2 tuner/Tremelo/Amp.

When I'm in Overdrive channels you can hear the pulsing of the tremelo when the trem is switched off, but if I switch my amp to the clean channel it goes away, does this mean my tremelo pedal is not true-bypass or whatever? Or do you think the mods that boosted it have caused this new problem. The problem is only noticible when I'm not playing, other than that everything works great.

Any solutions?

Thanks. :D
paul_

Post by paul_ »

it's not true bypass. do you use your amp's fx loop?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

paul_ wrote:it's not true bypass. do you use your amp's fx loop?
So because its not true bypass this is causing the noise?

My amp's fx loop sucks(mike explained why). I use a Marshall Avt150h head and 4x12 cab. basically when I use the fx loop with the tremelo the volume is barely audible.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

get a Dano Tuna Melt trem, cheap and awesome
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Mr Mustache wrote:get a Dano Tuna Melt trem, cheap and awesome
My pedal eats tuna melts for breakfast.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

but is a tuna melt noisy?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Trems can be a bitch to quiet. I'm fighting with the trem I'm making to get the noise down too. BUT, Boss' bypass isn't true bypass but it is pretty good. I'm thinking it may be due to these mods, it could be putting just a slight ripple in the power from the LFO which might be causing the buffer to fluctuate, which you will hear when you send in a higher gain signal. What mods exactly did you do?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

PenPen wrote:Trems can be a bitch to quiet. I'm fighting with the trem I'm making to get the noise down too. BUT, Boss' bypass isn't true bypass but it is pretty good. I'm thinking it may be due to these mods, it could be putting just a slight ripple in the power from the LFO which might be causing the buffer to fluctuate, which you will hear when you send in a higher gain signal. What mods exactly did you do?
What I was thinking too. I'm kinda getting something similar that with my Uglyface and it's being a bit to debug.
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

euan wrote:
PenPen wrote:Trems can be a bitch to quiet. I'm fighting with the trem I'm making to get the noise down too. BUT, Boss' bypass isn't true bypass but it is pretty good. I'm thinking it may be due to these mods, it could be putting just a slight ripple in the power from the LFO which might be causing the buffer to fluctuate, which you will hear when you send in a higher gain signal. What mods exactly did you do?
What I was thinking too. I'm kinda getting something similar that with my Uglyface and it's being a bit to debug.
Since you are into DIY also, have you ever built the GarageFuzz? That one was awesome but added a ton of noise to ground which bled into the bypass also. I did some mods to that circuit and republished as the PungentBuzz if you're interested.

I started collecting the parts for an Uglyface (if that's what I'm thinking it is, the thing from FolkUrban, right?) but I want to hold off until I have an junked wah to build it into.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

No I haven't built the GarageFuzz, I think I've seen it somehwhere though. What mods did you do to remove the noise to ground? I'm thinking about rerouting some cables first to see if makes a difference before I start trying some stuff.

Yeah the Uglyface is from FolkUrban. Te current one is the second I've built, the other had a tone of noise due to it being one of the first pedals I built. I'm wanting to build one in a Wah chassis myself. I've got an old EH volume pedal coming from eBay which is looking like a good candidate. I might experiment and try and mod it a bit and see what other LED/LDR combination works.
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

The GarageFuzz was an odd circuit with a grounded collector second stage using a 2N2222. The source of the noise was the grounded collector. SO, I isolated the collector from ground with a 100 ohm resistor. That was enough to separate ground from it and cleared up the noise. Although, it DID make some crazy sounds when the pedal was engaged before that mod, and you could change the pitch of the occilation with the tone/volume knobs on your guitar. I'll make another thread about it after digging up all the schems and stuff, so we can not jack Cowbell's thread any further.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

The same thing was happening with the Uglyface until I had it fully box mounted.
euan
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Mr Mustache wrote:get a Dano Tuna Melt trem, cheap and awesome
people on this boards are fucking idiots sometimes

he didnt ask what he should get to replace it, he wanted to know why it might not be working and how he could fix it.
Shabba.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

i was being a dick saying basically get rid of the boss POS and he will be better off spending $30 of the Dano trem
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Mr Mustache wrote:i was being a dick
evidently. [/mike]
Shabba.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

yep
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Mr Mustache wrote:i was being a dick saying basically get rid of the boss POS and he will be better off spending $30 of the Dano trem
I know your messing with me. :wink:

Bob just gets upset when someone starts messing with his bitch.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I did all of these mods.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.walker420/bosstr2mod.pdf

Anyway to make a boss a better true bypass? a mod or summit?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Alright. Gimme some time, I was bout to jump in the shower, when I come back I'll check the schem. Those mods will make the LFO strain the pwr supply harder than stock, so it looks like it could be what I said. I'll see if there's any suggestions I can make, and I'll show you how to trew bypass that sucker if you want.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

PenPen wrote:Alright. Gimme some time, I was bout to jump in the shower, when I come back I'll check the schem. Those mods will make the LFO strain the pwr supply harder than stock, so it looks like it could be what I said. I'll see if there's any suggestions I can make, and I'll show you how to trew bypass that sucker if you want.
Absolutely, I'll send that switch and knobs for free if you do. :wink: