Tape over effects names?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

luke

Post by luke »

PenPen wrote:I think Omar is a pompous ass. Oh he's sooo important all he has to do is use your gear and it is instant GOLD for the company. "My ego is sooo large that I gotta be careful to not appear to be advocating the use of any products, unless they give them to me for free 'cause I'm a whore. I'm like, as important as God and if I start using something everyone else will too 'cause everyone want to be like me." Ass.
It's really no different from TV shows or films not showing brand names. He's still an entertainer isn't he? It's within his rights.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

PenPen wrote:I think Omar is a pompous ass. Oh he's sooo important all he has to do is use your gear and it is instant GOLD for the company. "My ego is sooo large that I gotta be careful to not appear to be advocating the use of any products, unless they give them to me for free 'cause I'm a whore. I'm like, as important as God and if I start using something everyone else will too 'cause everyone want to be like me." Ass.
+1, same for Tom Morello.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

PenPen wrote:...if I start using something everyone else will too 'cause everyone want to be like me."
that is freakishly true

see the comatorium.......

it's just like the Kurdtz

i like omars playing when he's actually playing and it sounds good ....(i figure 37% of the time i like it)

he does seem like a dick tho
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

How many "trends" did Omar start? ZERO.

How many trends did teh Kurdtz start?

1. The whole fashion package
2. The whole uncombed/unwashed hair package
3. LOUD/SOFT as a mainstream songwriting dynamic (yes I'm aware it was used before but not as popular as this)
4. Screaming scratchy vocals (made popular again)
5. Obscure guitars
6. Heroin
7. Marrying a bitch and fathering a child by her (ok this one has been around forever but this was a very public version pre-Springer thing we didn't see often)
8. Shooting yourself in the head (see #7)
9. Selling more records post-headshot than Elvis (this has not caught on yet as a trend but he is now the benchmark for all soon-to-headshoot-themselves musicians will aspire to achieve).

And TV shows blur brands out because the latest thing is to sell product placement advertising. They didn't used to blur out product names, but they do now.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
luke

Post by luke »

PenPen wrote:And TV shows blur brands out because the latest thing is to sell product placement advertising. They didn't used to blur out product names, but they do now.
In Britain, TV shows have always avoided product placement for whatever reason. You'll see the back of food containers or they'll be made up all together.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Malik wrote:
PenPen wrote:And TV shows blur brands out because the latest thing is to sell product placement advertising. They didn't used to blur out product names, but they do now.
In Britain, TV shows have always avoided product placement for whatever reason. You'll see the back of food containers or they'll be made up all together.
Ah. I remember years back seeing brands in movies all the time in the background. It wasn't until the 90's that I noticed things being blurred out.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Malik wrote:
They will avoid it on the BBC but all the other channels are full of product placement. You'll notice everyone uses Dell computers for example.
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

The point was that Omar is a lame ass with an inflated self-importance. Kids fucking SHOT THEMSELVES to be like Krutsz. Only think kids do because of Omar is cry.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

PenPen wrote:The point was that Omar is a lame ass with an inflated self-importance. Kids fucking SHOT THEMSELVES to be like Krutsz. Only think kids do because of Omar is cry.
awesome/classy/trew
everything is not going to be alright
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

PenPen wrote:The point was that Omar is a lame ass with an inflated self-importance. Kids fucking SHOT THEMSELVES to be like Krutsz. Only think kids do because of Omar is cry.
can't disagree with you.

but there are still obsessive kids with this dude, it's creepy
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Agata of Melt Banana does on some of his pedals, but he was happy to let this fella take pics of his boxes as he was packing his gear away after a show. Seems kinda random.

Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

melt banana is very........

yeah

something
a.aaron

Post by a.aaron »

Mr Mustache wrote:(he painted his orange amps and cabs that retard)
actually he pulled the tolex off and removed the logos. ive seen he has an endorsement with Vox.
i think that is BULLSHIT. If you are using it then you like the product and you should advertise that that it is a product that you are trusting bacause you are using it to make it part of your sound!
like Zach Wylde, who puts his name on everything he uses.

Omar certainly has a following, and in ATDI influence a lot of people, who are now in a lot of bands. they arent famous, becuase ATDI was never famous.

personally i think taping over logos is more about having the image of taping over logos. i wouldnt bother, though i do have a ZVex Ooh Wah that i scraped all the paint off, and is like my secret noisebox. i guess thats like tape.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

a.aaron wrote:
Mr Mustache wrote: (he painted his orange amps and cabs that retard)
actually he pulled the tolex off and removed the logos. ive seen he has an endorsement with Vox.
WTF he has a Vox endorsement? i guess it is for studio use? but i thought he painted all of it white. oh well

a.aaron wrote:
Mr Mustache wrote: i think that is BULLSHIT. If you are using it then you like the product and you should advertise that that it is a product that you are trusting bacause you are using it to make it part of your sound!
like Zach Wylde, who puts his name on everything he uses.
no not to put your name all over things, i just think if you use something to make it part of your sound, you should at least be a bit thankful to the company for making it. BTW fuck zach wylde
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mr Mustache wrote:melt banana is very........

yeah

something
Awesome?

I like the fact that people can hate them, truly great art is polarizing.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

lol i don't hate them at all they are just very unique and take some getting use to.

their guitar sounds soooo cool tho!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

They're pretty intense, it's gotta be said. If you can put up with yelping Japanese female vocals and 2 octave up Whammy squelches, urine for a treat.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

yelping Japanese female vocals
that is the part the makes me want to rip out my ear drums, deerhoof makes me want to do the same thing for almost the same exact reason
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Those covered melt banana pedals are so very obvious, it doesn't matter that they're covered.

I don't think I would ever do it, even if I were famous. I'm so much of a gear snob, I like showing my stuff off.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:Those covered melt banana pedals are so very obvious, it doesn't matter that they're covered.
That's what I was thinking, and the fact only some are covered..