Tape over effects names?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

paul_

Post by paul_ »

Doog wrote:
Mr Mustache wrote:melt banana is very........

yeah

something
Awesome?
haha, reminds me of Jack Black talking about Jesus & Mary Chain in High Fidelity

"Oh yeah, i listened to it... I thought it was kinda--"
"AWESOME? YEAH! THEY'RE AWESOME, AND THEY PICKED UP WHERE YOUR PRECIOUS 'ECHO' LEFT OFF!"
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

i wouldnt put tape on pedals, unless it was that reflector typa stuff, so you could see the switch when its TEH DARKZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz before the RAWK starts up.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Except anything reflecting stagelights off the pedal would make it even harder to see the "ROCK IS ON " light, lolz.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Hopefully you'd be able to tell by ear if a pedal is on. If not, you gotta turn the leftmost knob on that DS-1 a little higher.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
sueisfine

Post by sueisfine »

Ive put tape on pedals before mainly my polychorus, not to hide what the pedal is, because really I cant see anyone giving a shit what pedals i use. I just put tape there so i could mark my settings down.
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Hopefully you'd be able to tell by ear if a pedal is on. If not, you gotta turn the leftmost knob on that DS-1 a little higher.

untr00 actually. not all pedals have led indicators.
a.aaron

Post by a.aaron »

he's saying no pedal should need an LED, just use your ears (listen!) to tell if its on or not.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

a.aaron wrote:he's saying no pedal should need an LED, just use your ears (listen!) to tell if its on or not.
Exactly. I have no idea how that got twisted.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

No LEDS = shit in a live scenario unless you wanna look like a n00b checking what FX are on before each song..
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Interesting thread. Personally, I wouldn't tape over effects cause it's hardly any great secret. That guy Euan talked about sounds like a knob. "I'M GETTING WEIRD SOUNDS BY USING EFFECTS PEDALS."

As well as that, if Iwas out to impress somebody, or if I was worried about how people watching me percieved my techincal ability with regards effects and setup, I think I would rather they knew what I was using, and the limitations of the setup.

Oh, and Omar can do what he likes. If he told me he taped up his pedals to make them sound better, I would believe him.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Pauls probably hit it. The first time I probably got into effects was when I saw a band when I was fifteen. The guy ended a song by doing some crazy pitchshifting effect and all I could see him doing was twisting knobs.

This was back when all I really knew was power chords and if you distorted your guitar it sounded good. I went up to the guitarist after the gig and asked him about it and he told me about using a delay to pitchshift.

Personally if a kid came up to me and asked how I got a sound I'd be loving it.
euan
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

euan wrote: Personally if a kid came up to me and asked how I got a sound I'd be loving it.
What with imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, an' that.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

BacchusPaul wrote:
euan wrote: Personally if a kid came up to me and asked how I got a sound I'd be loving it.
What with imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, an' that.
Nah it's more that I love talking about gear. I'm the kind of person that will talk about the differences in sound and feel of a Strat with a blocked vibrato and a hard tail. When I find someone who knows what I'm talking about it always is fun.
euan
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

Doog wrote:No LEDS = shit in a live scenario unless you wanna look like a n00b checking what FX are on before each song..
point i was making. DOOG FTW!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Personally I think taping up effects pedals (especially such ubiquituous pedals as the Boss series and a cocking Fulldrive) is extremely pretentious and lame.