Tape over effects names?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

euan
partynerd!

Tape over effects names?

Post by euan »

Do you? Don't you?

I've just come from a band recording session for the radio station I help out at. One of the bands had a guy who was being all secret about his effects pedals. Carefully taking them out of the flight case and shielding them from prying eyes.

I noticed the boy had covered all the names with electrical tape. I laughed. He didn't even have anything special, a TU-2, SD-1, DD-3 and a Shredmaster.

Any point really? This is just a rant. Of sorts.
euan
luke

Post by luke »

That's the sort of thing you do if you're good, and only if you're good. That's like those people who go into guitar shops and play the guitars, even though they suck. It's stupid, I don't even play the guitars and I'm good.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I don't. It's a very knobbish thing to do.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

haha what an idiot, ' i've got super rare pedals! '
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Ahem.
Last edited by euan on Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euan
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

He was playing a Jazzmaster into a Sovtek MIG100 though, which is always cool.
euan
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I've got DOUBLE VISION
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i don't understand the point.
or what it would have to do with being good or not.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

If you are good=people want to know your sound.

You might want to hide your gear if that is where you get your sound from.
euan
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I never did that. Actually, ever show I go to I walk up to the stage and eye up the effects being used, sometimes having a little chat with them about their pedals. Some guitarists are super-geeky about their pedals. Never had a person try to keep it all secret like.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
luke

Post by luke »

By good, I mean like successful. Josh Homme does it, but that's because he's badass.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

euan wrote:If you are good=people want to know your sound.

hahahhaaha, that's some dumb shit.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Are you not saying if some guy was doing some freaky shit you've never heard before you wouldn't be interested on what is on the floor?
euan
paul_

Post by paul_ »

on amp footswitches i've always used a label maker or something to tell me what each switch is actually for (so my tags usually "drive" and "reverb") and then i'll stick that over the numbers above the footswitches.

i feel it's kind of arrogant to be secretive about such well-known/widely-used pedals, as if you're going to do something with them that hundreds of other people haven't already... especially boss pedals, which are so easily recogniseable and individually distinguishable by colour anyway.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

Omar does it !!! :shock:

i saw a band not long ago and the guitar player was playing a Blond Jaguar from 94 with the gold hardwear, and i what like hey that's nice a 94 and he was like "no it's an 80's" so i just said something about his DMM.... then they next band the guitar player had a Refin Oly White 65 Mustang OMG! it was sexy
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

euan wrote:Are you not saying if some guy was doing some freaky shit you've never heard before you wouldn't be interested on what is on the floor?

no, i'm saying that if i was the greatest player in the greatest band in the world, i would give a rat's ass if some kid tries to ape my sound.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

they say that Omar does it because he's not trying to endorse their product because he had didn't get them from from the company(he painted his orange amps and cabs that retard)

i think that is BULLSHIT. If you are using it then you like the product and you should advertise that that it is a product that you are trusting bacause you are using it to make it part of your sound! you didn't go and pull a pen pen and invent some sweeet ass pedalz!
luke

Post by luke »

Mr Mustache wrote:they say that Omar does it because he's not trying to endorse their product because he had didn't get them from from the company(he painted his orange amps and cabs that retard)

i think that is BULLSHIT. If you are using it then you like the product and you should advertise that that it is a product that you are trusting bacause you are using it to make it part of your sound! you didn't go and pull a pen pen and invent some sweeet ass pedalz!
Well not exactly. Companies do often cash in on people who use their products. Fender anybody? When you buy a product, its yours for good, you shouldn't have any links with the person who sold it to you.

Mind you, if they really want to keep it a secret they should just buy some blank cases and put the components in them, then using a black marker write DISTORTION. Nobody would ever know what's going down.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

Malik wrote:.
Mind you, if they really want to keep it a secret they should just buy some blank cases and put the components in them, then using a black marker write DISTORTION. Nobody would ever know what's going down.
true dat
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I think Omar is a pompous ass. Oh he's sooo important all he has to do is use your gear and it is instant GOLD for the company. "My ego is sooo large that I gotta be careful to not appear to be advocating the use of any products, unless they give them to me for free 'cause I'm a whore. I'm like, as important as God and if I start using something everyone else will too 'cause everyone want to be like me." Ass.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now