disscuss this paint..

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

disscuss this paint..

Post by Hurb »

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Looks like some paint to me.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

id got that far by myself :lol:
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Did you notice it is clear also?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

Clear Lacquer Cellulose Spray Paint

From my extensive reseach, my careful examination and many Experiments, i compiled everything into a color chart;Seen here.

I have concluded that it appears* to be to be clear and in a spray can and with a buy it now of ?6.00 plus ?2.50 for Royal Mail 1st Class Standard.

*appearances can be deceiving
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

yes.

OK to avoid more confusion/mocking . cellulose paint is hard (ish) to come by in the good old uk. iam not wanting to use it for mojo vintage reasons but i would like to try it to see how it compares to acrylic i have been useing.
and i found this stuff fairly cheap on the pay and wanted to see if anyone could see a problem with it(as in there's not like different kinds of cellulose that i didn't know about.

on another note i bought some cellulose sanding sealer too( nickd! they sell it on the bay! forget that other link i showed you)
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

They do chrome as well. But not celluse obviously. I'm tempted to do all my DIY effects in a matt black/chrome combo now.

Hmmm.
euan
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Is there a diff between nitrocellulose and cellulose? I imagine if it is primarily for cars, it will have been formulated not to yellow. So if you wanted a slight tint of aging, you might consider some kind of amber dye in alcohol, or a transparent amber paint. Otherwise it seems perfectly reasonable to think it would work just fine for you.

Are you thinking that the acrylic isn't doing the job you want? I am surprised that you don't have more choices than we do, given your proximity to other countries. I guess a border is a border. I was curious about Montana grafitti paints from Spain. They have a lot of really cool colors. Look at all those. There are US distro and European. I think there might even be two competing companies competing on the copyrights.

This line troubled me, but I am guessing it is referring to crafts projects. The language nuances are a bit puzzling.

Do not use over DIY applied acrylics, household or synthetic paints.
Last edited by DGNR8 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yell Like Hell
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

i looked up nitrocellulose & cellulose both on wikipedia and i couldn't really find much about the differences or if it was the same thing or what
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

PenPen wrote:Did you notice it is clear also?
I was going to say "Well, it's in a can." but you already won the thread.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

as i understand it, you really need to get clear coat that is meant for stringed instruments or else you will get clouds, and splotches.
and when that happens there is no level sanding in the world that can help you.
laquer is great just becuz it has the mirror type glow and depth that is really desired, and damn it ages well.
especially if you smoke!!!!!
looks great on the old oly white jags and jazzys
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Yes, I was in a mood today, apologies to hurb. I was just fuckin' with you.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

that line bothered me too dgnr8. hmmm i might just try it. acrylic paint has been fine, but i really feel like iam missing out on painting unless i use the same stuff as the big boys :lol:
NickD

Post by NickD »

robert(original) wrote:as i understand it, you really need to get clear coat that is meant for stringed instruments or else you will get clouds, and splotches.
IMHO, a load of bollocks, 99% of vintage guitar paint is automotive paint.
luke

Post by luke »

NickD wrote:
robert(original) wrote:as i understand it, you really need to get clear coat that is meant for stringed instruments or else you will get clouds, and splotches.
Yeah but the nitrocellulose clear coat wasn't, was it?
NickD

Post by NickD »

Malik wrote:
NickD wrote:
Yeah but the nitrocellulose clear coat wasn't, was it?
Yup, pretty crap for car paint though, what with the checking and fading, so they stopped using it, and that is why it is difficult to get now.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

so i should buy that stuff you reckon nick?
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

and when that happens there is no level sanding in the world that can help you.
laquer is great just becuz it has the mirror type glow and depth that is really desired, and damn it ages well.
especially if you smoke!!!!!
looks great on the old oly white jags and jazzys
r'lly? the clear used on todays guitars is only made for stringed instruments? I don't think I can believe that, that sounds like a marketing tool used by guitar paint suppliers to scare people. Does that mean if I use that special clear on summit other than a stringed instrument it won't work right? :lol:
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

It could have some kind of flex additive in it to help out with resonance and whatnot......

Sounds good! :lol:
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Hurb wrote:so i should buy that stuff you reckon nick?
Yes