Fab Distortion
3%
Other
45%

Total votes: 38
luke

Distortion Pedals

Post by luke »

Yeah, it's the age old question. Which distortion pedal do I get? I'm probably only going to be playing through solid state amps with it, and I want something that can be versatile. I want it to be able to do a nice light crunch, but also to be able to do some heavier stuff as well, and have some EQ controls of course.

Bear in mind I'm happy with a DS-2, and the only reason I'm asking this question is because my friend wants his DS-2 back and I need to get my own, and I figured seeing as nobody here really likes the DS-2, someone could suggest something better?

Actually, I have a better idea, a poll. Vote for the pedal you think is best. If your answer is not here, please reply and ask me to add it. I can't think of many off the top of my head.

Edit: Looks like I can't add any, great.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Millionth time this has been done. Get the Muff.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It's possible, I just added "Other". Can't you, as the creator of the thread, add more?

RAT2 is my choice.
luke

Post by luke »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Millionth time this has been done. Get the Muff.
Yeah, I'm looking at muffs a lot at the minute. My question about those is, do they have more than just the obvious fuzz sound? I seriously don't know much about them...
Doog wrote:It's possible, I just added "Other". Can't you, as the creator of the thread, add more?

RAT2 is my choice.
Amazing, I can't, but I thought I could. RAT2 is definitely a possibility after hearing your TWAT demo, but obviously that's with mods and a nice amp. :D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nah man, that was using my crappy little Zoom 15 modelling amp with all the digital stuff bypassed. It's one of the few distortion pedals I've tried/owned that sounds good on solidstate amps. They also sound very nice stock too, and even warmer/rounder sounding with an extremely simple mod.

If you want a huge fuzzy rhythm guitar sound- MUFF
If you want something with a bit more midrange that works nicely for leads- RAT2.

Lemme know if you want the poll edited.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

rat rat rat.

(just cause theres no muff option)
luke

Post by luke »

Gandalf wrote:rat rat rat.

1. Yes there is.
2. I told everyone very clearly to ask me if they wanted an option adding in the first post to avoid people voting for second bests.

Meh, I'm probably going to get a LBM at this rate, mainly because it's the cheaper option. No offence Doog!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Malik wrote: Meh, I'm probably going to get a LBM at this rate, mainly because it's the cheaper option. No offence Doog!
HOW DAAAARE YOOOOOUUUUUU!

Haha, do what you want, mate. Your money.
luke

Post by luke »

Doog wrote:
Malik wrote: Meh, I'm probably going to get a LBM at this rate, mainly because it's the cheaper option. No offence Doog!
HOW DAAAARE YOOOOOUUUUUU!

Haha, do what you want, mate. Your money.
Nah, it's just you put up the best argument and you're probably right about that being the best pedal, I don't want you thinking I'm turning down your advice! Anyway, I'm not really the sort of person who's looking for any particular tone, I just want a box that I can put my foot on to make the guitar sound from pretty to pretty awesome.

And I also think I've got the early symptoms of GAS. As soon as I get my first payment from work I'm pedal hunting. Great.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I've got a Big Muff Pi and a Fab Overdrive on my pedalboard, and I have to say that I use the Fab loads more than the Muff. For ?15 I'd seriously think about getting one of them, even if you get something else as well. Guess it really boils down to what kind of sound you want.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Marshall Drivemaster off eBay.

Three band EQ FTW
euan
Tweez

Post by Tweez »

A full size Big Muff Pi or a Boss HM-2 get my vote.
kim
[='ร‚ยฑ'=]

Post by kim »

Rat2

thick sounding, no loss of definition, more versatile than a BM (tho soundwise i think nothing compares to a US BM)

or if you've got teh monees..Proco's deucetone...even more versatile..but pricey...

also if you want to spend some extra bucks...T.Rex Dr. Swamp (yum !)

those are a couple of my fav distortion pedals anyway
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

And if everyone is going to say Big Muff, I'll say Graphic Fuzz. That can get it's Muff on if you want it to.
euan
filtercap

Post by filtercap »

RAT AT RAT R

with

MODS ODS MODS M
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Malik wrote:
Gandalf wrote:rat rat rat.

1. Yes there is.
2. I told everyone very clearly to ask me if they wanted an option adding in the first post to avoid people voting for second bests.

Meh, I'm probably going to get a LBM at this rate, mainly because it's the cheaper option. No offence Doog!
yeah theres a little muff and i dislike them
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

my current fave is the behringer big muff clone. It doesnt have the mid scoop like your typical muff, but 2nd choice owuld be the little big muff.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Did you listen to my pedal samples through my Crate Power Block? That's SS and could be a good reference, the RAT2 and FAB Overdrive and Distortion are on there.

You can get a RAT2 for ?45 from thomann.de.

I would vote for RAT2 if you like some mids and cut the resistor for added bass, or get the FAB Overdrive for a real fun versatile pedal - the FAB Distortion does a great buzzy JCM900 90's distortion very well also.

I would never recommend a Muff, I find them very one dimensional.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat rat da-da-da-da da-daaaaaa, rat.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

GUYATONE OD-2!

OD2!!!
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯ร‚ยฐ□ร‚ยฐ)╯︵ ┻━┻