NGD Competition Mustang RI

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

HNB

NGD Competition Mustang RI

Post by HNB »

Got this in trade. Really excited about it. When it came it seemed to have a buzzing issue. I found that it didn't have a ground running from the jack to the volume pot. I know the plate should ground it, but it didn't seem to be working, so I ran the wire to the tone and volume pot and all is beautiful. I really like the neck pickup. I might add in hot rails in the bridge area. Not sure yet. It is a beauty though. I love the stripes. :)

DSC04202 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC04204 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC04208 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC04212 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Last edited by HNB on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Welcome to the CAR Competition Club.

I traded a Jaguar HH project to Serfx for one. My guitar currently is strung with .12s, has the stock neck pickup and a Sensor Lace Red in the Bridge. I might step mine down to .11s and maybe swap the stock neck pup out for another Sensor Lace to better match the bridge.

The stripes are very sexy and makes you want to collect all the different ones. I would love the Kurt Cobain LPB Competition Mustang to go along side it. I think the pearloid pickguards look mint on these guitars.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
HNB

Post by HNB »

Could be my favorite competition color, but now I am baised.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I like the neck on mine, but I wish I could swap it for the Kurt Cobain Mustang neck. I like the profile better on that one. It's more like my 1969 neck I have on my Mullet-stang. The width at the nut is narrower, but it plays smooth and the tuners are nice.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

That's a beauty,Congrats! what do they call the model? a '69 reissue? Or a '73 Reissue? Does it have contours on the front and back like my Mustang?

The Competition Red looks like the Candy Apple Red on my Swinger.

ImageImage
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

westtexasred wrote:That's a beauty,Congrats! what do they call the model? a '69 reissue? Or a '73 Reissue? Does it have contours on the front and back like my Mustang?

ImageImage
Your swinger and the mustang are the same color. Candy apple red (CAR).
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I believe these are both 1969 RI Comp Stangs. The funny part is I have an actual 1969 Mustang neck on my other Mustang and the profiles are nothing alike?

How is the 1973 Mustang different from the 1969 Mustang Reissues?
HNB

Post by HNB »

taylornutt wrote:I like the neck on mine, but I wish I could swap it for the Kurt Cobain Mustang neck. I like the profile better on that one. It's more like my 1969 neck I have on my Mullet-stang. The width at the nut is narrower, but it plays smooth and the tuners are nice.
I haven't had a good test yet because of that ground problem I fixed last night. I hope to get new strings today. I loved the neck pickup, but the bridge sounded weak. I will try adjusting the height today and see if I can get a better sound out of it.
westtexasred wrote:That's a beauty,Congrats! what do they call the model? a '69 reissue? Or a '73 Reissue? Does it have contours on the front and back like my Mustang?

ImageImage
I think they call it a '69 Reissue. It has contours on the front and back. Metal tuners instead of the white plastic ones on the '65 reissue and no gap where the control plate and pickguard meet. I believe it is CAR. Really sweet metallic glitter to it too. Blood red.
taylornutt wrote:I believe these are both 1969 RI Comp Stangs. The funny part is I have an actual 1969 Mustang neck on my other Mustang and the profiles are nothing alike?

How is the 1973 Mustang different from the 1969 Mustang Reissues?
I think it is the MIJ/CIJ part. I heard the US contours are much different than Japanese.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

HNB

Post by HNB »

That first and third one look really nice! :) Most of mine are Fender straps. I was thinking of using the one I have that is a car seatbelt for this one since it is a "racing stripe." :) Looks like the one in this picture.

othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Nice, you have exquisite taste !!
HNB

Post by HNB »

After fixing the ground and trying her out, I actually like the bridge. The grounding problem was probably making it sound cruddy. Once kids go to bed, I will do sound clips. For now, pictures. :)

DSC04241 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC04239 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC04243 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

DSC04252 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

SPARKLE (And not like those gay vampires...)
DSC04249 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

Love it!...CAR has to be the best red for shortscales...looks so right! 8)
Glad you sorted the grounding issue out!...my duo was sounding pants recently but only on the g,
Then I realised the wound g had actually separated itself during playing...Daddario 11-49s... :cry:
HNB

Post by HNB »

I heard those can sometimes be dodgy. People sometimes put some solder on the ends to keep them from unwinding. I would rather just get different strings if I needed to go that far.
purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

Damn..I have a comp. Blue and orange...I need to get a red! If anyone ever wants to get rid of a comp red, let me know
Lifetime noob
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

purplehaze19x wrote:Damn..I have a comp. Blue and orange...I need to get a red! If anyone ever wants to get rid of a comp red, let me know
Are your Comp-stangs Reissues or original?
purplehaze19x

Post by purplehaze19x »

taylornutt wrote:
purplehaze19x wrote:Damn..I have a comp. Blue and orange...I need to get a red! If anyone ever wants to get rid of a comp red, let me know
Are your Comp-stangs Reissues or original?
My comp blue is a reissue. The comp orange is a rodvon refin. All of my other mustangs are vintage. o_O
Lifetime noob
HNB

Post by HNB »

Finally did an audio demo. I love how it sounds. :)

Demo Video
George

Post by George »

Love that clean tone. And that picture of the sun hitting the CAR makes it look really three dimensional.
Last edited by George on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HNB

Post by HNB »

It is a cool color. The only one I have at the moment actually. I like how you can see where Metallic K.O. came from in that one pic. :)