Smallest body Rickenbackers

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

George

Smallest body Rickenbackers

Post by George »

I'd always liked the thought of getting a Rick 12 string but they're all fucking massive. Which are the smaller bodies in current production? I'm guessing 620?

UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

Yeah, the 620s are still in production. If you like that style the smart money's on picking up a Tom Petty model (regardless of how you feel about his music) as the neck is substantially wider, solving the biggest drawback of a 12-string Ric - the practically unplayable neck.

Also, why worry about what's currently in production? Buy a 2nd-hand one!
George

Post by George »

Sorry, when I mean "in current production" I just mean ones that aren't vintage and rare. I didn't want people piping up about Tulips etc. Used would be my good to of course.

Thanks, looks like Petty's is a 660, which all have wider necks. I hear it's also got easier to use tuning pegs. Also a nightmare I hear.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

George wrote:Sorry, when I mean "in current production" I just mean ones that aren't vintage and rare. I didn't want people piping up about Tulips etc. Used would be my good to of course.

Thanks, looks like Petty's is a 660, which all have wider necks. I hear it's also got easier to use tuning pegs. Also a nightmare I hear.
Yeah, Restringing my scalloped headstock one is an ulcer-inducing waking nightmare every time. I read a few years back that Ric have finally altered the 12-string headstock to be more like a classical guitar design, but I've never seen any of those ones in the flesh. Knowing J. Hall they probably charge extra for that feature.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I played a 620 12 string a couple weeks ago and loved it. It had a really small body too.
George

Post by George »

That's good to hear Billy. How was it for finger picking and moving around the fret board?

I can't believe this telephone conversation I just had with my music shop:

Me: "Hi I'm wondering if you have any 12 string Rickenbackers in stock?"
"Let me check. Yes we have 4 in stock."
"Which ones?"
"Jetglo"
"No, what model. Are they the semis or the small solid bodies?"
"The small semi (what?). 360."
"Oh right."
"Yeah, we can get them down to our store for a deposit."
"I thought they were in stock?"
"Yes, in 4 different branches"
"Well I don't want to put a deposit down. I'm just looking really."
"No, £30 so we can get one from another shop"
"That's not really going to happen."
"We also have a Gretsch 12 string in stock?"
"No, but thanks for your help"

I don't know why I didn't laugh and have a go at him about that, but I guess I was just confused. Perhaps looking at this new heady price range of guitars means you get played like a rich chump or something. Another black mark against my local store that's for sure.

Anyway, the general consensus is 660 uber alles for 12 strings, however I quite like the sound of having a 620 that would be playable with 6 strings. I've measured out my DC12 and the nut and 12th fret width are the same as a 660. Very roomy and easy to play. The 620 is the same nut width as my Classic Vibe Custom Tele, and I cannot for the life of me imagine that that is playable with 12 strings at all!

660 - Neck Width at Nut 44.5 mm 1 3/4''

620 - Neck Width at Nut 41.4 mm 1.63''

The price difference is eye-watering though. £500 more or something.
George

Post by George »

FYI - I love the look a 660/12 in Jetglo

A homage to Paul Maroon <3<3<3

However, Jetglos do not appear to be sold new anywhere, so the used availability would probably take precedent, most likely Amber Fireglo...

Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

George wrote:That's good to hear Billy. How was it for finger picking and moving around the fret board?

"Which ones?"
"Jetglo"
"Oh right."

I don't know why I didn't laugh and have a go at him about that, but I guess I was just confused. Perhaps looking at this new heady price range of guitars means you get played like a rich chump or something. Another black mark against my local store that's for sure.

Anyway, the general consensus is 660 uber alles for 12 strings, however I quite like the sound of having a 620 that would be playable with 6 strings. I've measured out my DC12 and the nut and 12th fret width are the same as a 660. Very roomy and easy to play. The 620 is the same nut width as my Classic Vibe Custom Tele, and I cannot for the life of me imagine that that is playable with 12 strings at all!

I surprisingly didn't actually finger pick it even though that's my usual way of playing these days. I'm probably going back to the guitar center it was at today though so I can try that out for you. The neck was very comfortable, it felt like the string spacing was enough but I also don't remember it being the same width at the nut as a classic vibe tele... that seems like it's a bit smaller than what I remember the neck feeling like. It definitely felt more comfortable than the average 12 string acoustic neck, so less wide than that, but I don't know that I'd go as far as saying it was the same width as a regular fender style 6 string neck. The neck felt great to me moving around all over, that's something that I've always given rickenbacker points for, especially on their basses but all the guitars I've played have felt equally as comfortable. The necks are just so freaking comfortable and easy to move around on.
George

Post by George »

That would be really helpful, thanks. At least until I can get to a stockist I can get a fair idea.

In most youtube videos I've seen of Rick players they really seem to struggle with the neck, or maybe they just suck at guitar. And then there's McGuinn's Eight Miles High soloing which is fucking dire. All send a pretty big warning about possible difficulties.

[youtube][/youtube]
crazydave911

Post by crazydave911 »

George wrote:That's good to hear Billy. How was it for finger picking and moving around the fret board?

"Which ones?"
"Jetglo"
"Oh right."

From what I have heard (from several different stores employees) this is part of the price the stores pay for playing ball with the big/little "R". The stores that mortgage their "nads" (they have to pay a deposit on these too) , sell the high end models, generally behave like a dick, get their orders filled first. Those that act normally can get on waiting lists of over a year.

While there is generally no excuse for this kind of ignorance on an employees part, it is understandable. There are so few Rickys out there in the wild, so to speak, that there isn't a foundation of "common knowledge" for the average igmo to draw upon :lol: .

It is actually sad, not funny, but I have found over the years, that there is little the big R produces I'd actually like to have. They have zero snob appeal to me and generally, IMO, aren't that playable (I have normal hands :lol: ). Those things they do make that I'd like, I build my own version of :D

The one in the center :D

"No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

I keep seeing 620's and a 610 popping up on thhe local Craigslist here.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I played a 660 once (several times @ the same shop...it was used for $1600 I think, I really considered buying it). Probably the nicest 12 string rick I've ever played.
George

Post by George »

Nick wrote:I played a 660 once (several times @ the same shop...it was used for $1600 I think, I really considered buying it). Probably the nicest 12 string rick I've ever played.
You know I still have your DC12 which I play ALL THE TIME, however I find the neck to be a little too wide and flat in places so that's why I'm looking at other things. Looking at measurements (profile and radius notwithstanding), the 660/12 has the same width neck as a DC at the nut and 12th fret. It's almost like Rickenbacker copied it I think.

I think the narrow neck is something I'm looking to try out now, especially given the price difference. Jeez.
kpstafford73

Post by kpstafford73 »

I'd echo what everyone is saying on the 660-12. That wider neck makes a huge difference. I have a 381v69/12 that has the more traditionally narrow neck and it is a pain to fret. You have to be very precise with it.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I forgot to respond with my thoughts on it after playing it again.

The neck is definitely wider than a telecaster neck, yet incredibly comfortable for a 12 string! It just felt perfect in my hand and was very comfortable for any kind of chords. The string spacing is pretty tight which makes for a nicer width than most 12 strings and is probably why it was more comfortable to play, but since it's so tight it wasn't the easiest for finger picking. It was kind of hard to fit your fingers under the strings, not impossible, just not quite as easy as on a normal spacing 6 string like I'm used to.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

George wrote:
Nick wrote:I played a 660 once (several times @ the same shop...it was used for $1600 I think, I really considered buying it). Probably the nicest 12 string rick I've ever played.
You know I still have your DC12 which I play ALL THE TIME, however I find the neck to be a little too wide and flat in places so that's why I'm looking at other things. Looking at measurements (profile and radius notwithstanding), the 660/12 has the same width neck as a DC at the nut and 12th fret. It's almost like Rickenbacker copied it I think.

I think the narrow neck is something I'm looking to try out now, especially given the price difference. Jeez.
I can see that...I would just try before you buy though. My Vox has a narrow neck width but a fat radius, which is nice, but as a 12 string it can be a bit too easy to play it like a 6 if you're not careful. I thought the string spacing/wider neck on the Dano allowed for more articulation, at least for being a relative 12 string noob. It's all what's comfortable.
xrleroyx

Post by xrleroyx »

I used to own this guy:

Sure, the neck was narrow but I really thrived on it...
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I'm not helping anyone with this post, but anyway:

Sure, it's not a 620, but I've never felt that the 360's body is exactly "massive", and in comparison to a number of other guitars in the collection, it doesn't especially feel all that big. What it does have is a softly tapered top and decent access to upper frets...And a really narrow nut. :x Fortunately I have little girl fingers that can deal with crammed elevator fingering.

I dunno, from experience an ES-335 would be an example of something that hits the threshold of the massive category.

Not too big for teh Bukz.

George

Post by George »

Peter Buck is 6'2" though and you yourself seem quite lofty. I'm 5'7" so size is a bit more of a consideration :lol: Plus I am now besotted with the 620/660 shape.

Thanks for checking in with your experiences all. It seems to me that many struggle with the neck but at the same time have big or inarticulate hands and play them with gauge 10 strings or something daft. Also, having dug up on my favourite Rick players (Buck and Marr) they had the modern high gain pickups so I'm not feeling the allure of toasters either in the 660.

It is dumb that I'm deciding all this stuff and haven't even played one yet, but I will have one. I need to day trip it to London for some guitar fun.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

I think the 200 series have smaller bodies than the 600s