1966 Fender Showman (New Cab Pg 2)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

HNB

1966 Fender Showman (New Cab Pg 2)

Post by HNB »

MY FIRST BLACKFACE AMP! I am very excited about this one from Pat. I need a new tube for it because one broke during shipping. Probably just as well. I should let it adjust to the temperature and humidity here anyways. I plan to bring it to Solderhaus in Seattle to have the caps checked to make sure they are still a-ok. I will likely have a grounded power cable added for safety. :) I can't wait to hear how it sounds. It was described to me as a Twin without reverb. I love my Twin, so I have good feelings about this one.

IMG_3062 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_3063 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_3065 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_3066 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_3069 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_3071 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Last edited by HNB on Sat May 18, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ProcessedMeatMan

Post by ProcessedMeatMan »

New amp day is the best! Let us know how it sounds once you got it all up and running!
HNB

Post by HNB »

Will do! :D
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

Cool as foook! :wink:
Please do an vid when all ready..
HNB

Post by HNB »

Totally! I ordered a Sovetek 6L6 yesterday. Once it arrives, I should be able to power it up. (Honestly though, I might pull one 6L6 from my Ultralinear Twin to pop in and add the new one there when it comes in so I can power this amp up!)
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

What cab will you be running it through?
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I am so jealous of this.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

NICE! Should sound awesome. It's nice to see some of Pat's great finds going to fellow forumites.
HNB

Post by HNB »

I have a 4x12 Gallien-Krueger cabinet that is 8ohm I will use. (It has Celestion Greenbacks in it.)
HNB

Post by HNB »

Crappy camera video demo through my homemade cabinet. I mostly wanted to make sure it worked. Sounds pretty good actually. I can't wait to try it through my better cabinet.

[youtube][/youtube]
HNB

Post by HNB »

Something funny I never knew until this amp was if you have Treble, Mid, Bass at 0, volume doesn't work on the Vibrato chanel. When I first powered it on and plugged my cable in I began to panic. No sound. I switched to the normal chanel and it was fine. Switched back over... nothing. While starting my first demo of it I was showing how it had no sound and played with the bass knob and all of the sudden sound! I guess with all of them grounded out by being set to 0 it makes the volume pot not work. Odd, but a funny mishap. I am glad it ended up being fine.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

HNB wrote:Something funny I never knew until this amp was if you have Treble, Mid, Bass at 0, volume doesn't work on the Vibrato chanel. When I first powered it on and plugged my cable in I began to panic. No sound. I switched to the normal chanel and it was fine. Switched back over... nothing. While starting my first demo of it I was showing how it had no sound and played with the bass knob and all of the sudden sound! I guess with all of them grounded out by being set to 0 it makes the volume pot not work. Odd, but a funny mishap. I am glad it ended up being fine.
Ha, I've done that before!! It usually happened after transporting amps to a gig when I go to do a line check and the instant moment of "FUUCK,BROKE AMP". Then the realization that all of the tone controls were on zero and relief!
HNB

Post by HNB »

Just ordered a RCA switch so I can play with the tremolo. ;) Going to take it in to have it looked over Monday if all goes well. Getting it properly grounded, replacing the pilot bulb, and getting a red jewel for sure. They will also test all my cap's to make sure they are all working as they should.
HNB

Post by HNB »

It is in Jeff's hands now at Velvatone. I am totally impressed with his knowledge. He knew exactly what my concerns would be and gave me a lot of options to choose from to help my budget and to fit what I was looking for. He also guarentees his work so I can bring it in if there is a problem. He also said if I needed tubes and got them from him, he would install them and bias them for just the cost of the tubes. He is replacing the caps on the underside by the transformer. They were bubbles a bit and a little scorched looking. Putting in some Atoms there. He is also replacing the caps on the tube sockets and the power relating ones. He will check the caps that impact sound and tone, but only replace them if there is an issue. He said that these are the sound of the amp, so he only messes with them if it is needed. He is also installing some matches power tubes and testing my other tubes, adding a new three prong power cable, new pilot light, and also cleaning it and cleaning all contact points. He said he will also check and clean the pots as needed as well.

I am thrilled to have him work on it. His shop is FULL of old amps and cabinets. He worked for Boeing as an electrician and has NASA training on soldering and electronic work.

I can't wait to get it back. He said with the work he is doing, this fine amp should be good for the rest of my life. (Aside from tube replacements.)
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i just saw this on "the other forum" great amp!
is this the one that was pats?
HNB

Post by HNB »

Yup! :)
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I'm surprised at how quiet it is, I thought it would be as loud as a Twin but with a Twin you can't stand right in front of it like that on 6 without going deaf.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
HNB

Post by HNB »

It is a four ohm transformer going in to an 8ohm speaker so it quiets it down. :)
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Oh, yeah that would do it.

Conversely, you could just pull two of the power tubes to reduce the volume.
TexasSwede

Post by TexasSwede »

Nice score! Brings back some memories...
Member on ReRanch wrote:Virtually EVERY SINGLE PROJECT over at Offset starts with a man, a dream, and a turd brown Jag/Jazz/Mustang.