I think I just bought a 50th anniversary jag for $700...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

You spawny get - well done.

Got my first Jaguar for cheap because the guitar shop had listed it on aBay as a "Jaugur" and it didn't show up in any searches. They then utterly fleeced me on the shipping, the swines.
Phil O'Keefe

Post by Phil O'Keefe »

You lucky dog - what a cool score! Congratulations!
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

benecol wrote:You spawny get - well done.

Got my first Jaguar for cheap because the guitar shop had listed it on aBay as a "Jaugur" and it didn't show up in any searches. They then utterly fleeced me on the shipping, the swines.
Yeah, got mine cheap too. For whatever reason the national shop in Canada had them on sale for ~50% off ('66 Classic MIJ, B+B), got it for about $750+tx.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
astro

Post by astro »

I did a rudimentary setup tonight. I had a spare Warmoth modified mustang bridge so I put it on the guitar along with some 11 gauge strings. The setup needs fine tuning but she plays beautifully! The pickups are definitely "hot", not sure what the specs are on the pickups but they certainly sound like a Jaguar. They take distortion really well. And amazingly enough I don't hear any hum. Of course I wasn't playing it loud through my Roland micro cube but loud enough that I should have heard hum. Even on the Mesa Boogie amp model through heavy distortion I don't hear any hum. It must have one hell of a shielding job.

Fit and finish look perfect to me. The blocks look like real mother of pearl, too. I thought Fender only used plastic for these? Or are their plastic blocks that convincing? Only fitting that a surf guitar would have real ocean clams in the fretboard, for real life clam tones. The neck plate has an engraved palm tree on it too.

I didn't setup the trem and I left it locked for now. The trem arm fits and isn't loose. i was expecting the Classic Player screw-in collet but it's a push in arm. The arm does look shorter than an AVRI one, i assume to make up for the altered trem placement. i have an AVRI somewhere and I'll compare them when I have the time. if it is a shorter arm, i'd better make sure I don't lose it since an identical replacement will be impossible to find. i'm sure an AVRI arm will fit but it would be too long.

When I have more time in a few days I will do a more detailed setup. The intonation is a hair off at the moment and I might tweak the truss rod a little bit too. I do need to adjust the trem spring so that the guitar stays in tune when the lock is in either position. But it is definitely very playable right now.

The candy apple red is really growing on me. The finish is nitro. I would have loved a lake placid blue one as I think that would have been hot as fuck, but I imagine that the guitar would have never been mislabeled by Guitar Center as a Classic Player if it wasn't CAR. And of course if that had been the case I would never had gotten such a deal on it.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

astro wrote:Got the guitar today. It's the real thing. No strings on it though, don't know if I'll have time today to do a setup. The case candy bag and all its papers and manual came with it but all the "candy" (strap, wire, polishing cloth, flat wound strings) aren't there. No big deal, they weren't listed in the auction anyway and at the price I paid, I ain't complaining. The trem arm was loose in the case! Thankfully I can't see any damage.

With $150 for shipping and taxes, my total cost for this is $850. I'm very lucky.

The weird white line on the pickguard is just some weird reflection.

Congrats! You're gonna love her!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I played the Burgundy Mist one at GC. It felt really nice. I was surprised Fender would put hotter pickups and move the trem plate on a 50th Anniversary model. Your guitar looks awesome.

It's always cool when you get a little extra guitar for your money. GC had my Jaguar listed as a Japanese Fender, but it turned out to be an AVRI.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

benecol wrote:You spawny get - well done.
super chuffed for you though!
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
astro

Post by astro »

taylornutt wrote:GC had my Jaguar listed as a Japanese Fender, but it turned out to be an AVRI.
Amazing that these kinds of screw ups happen at Guitar Center, considering the amount of dollars involved. Makes me wish we had GC's in Canada so that I could get more deals like this!

Nice Jaguar by the way. I think Jags look great in sunburst.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

astro wrote:
taylornutt wrote:GC had my Jaguar listed as a Japanese Fender, but it turned out to be an AVRI.
Amazing that these kinds of screw ups happen at Guitar Center, considering the amount of dollars involved. Makes me wish we had GC's in Canada so that I could get more deals like this!

I hear ya. That shit never happens at L&M :P
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Excellent deal on the jag!
Hell is other people.
thaiairways

Post by thaiairways »

Nice score. Congratulations.
finboy

Post by finboy »

Ankhanu wrote:
astro wrote:

I hear ya. That shit never happens at L&M :P
I got a pog2 for the price of a micro pog at mine, just have to keep your eyes peeled