new here and some questions

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

avamusic

new here and some questions

Post by avamusic »

ok first off im glad to be apart of this community.

so heres my big ultimate question i play in b standard. and all the guitars im attracted to are short scale .. i use 7 string guitar strings on 6 strings .. is this a good idea on a short scale like a jagstang?
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

as long as the instrument is set up, then its fine, what gauge are the strings? generally i have found that bigger gauge strings in 440 or rather "e" is perfect for shortscale guitars. you may get better tension and a better feel on a 25.5 scale instrument.
does your guitar intonate just fine with your tuning?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yeah, as long as it intonates and you like amount of slack, you shouldn't have any problem using a shortscale. i'm pretty sure a lot of the 7-string guitars are gibson-scale or shorter.

welcome to the community!
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Welcome. It's fine for the guitar as long as it's set up for it, but it's not the greatest idea in terms of sound. The shorter the scale, the less string tension. You can compensate for that with heavier strings, but only to a point. Low notes will be flabby and lack clarity. There's a reason that most baritone guitars are extended scale, and basses are of course even longer. Why are you attracted to short scale guitars? Just the look, or do you like the feel too?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Goatsnake is a Les Paul tuned to A. If it can work on that, it'll work on a 24" scale guitar. The 7-string sets could work but they'll definitely be floppier than on your more conventional scale guitars. You'd be looking to go up a few gauge points per string, really. So, if you're used to a "light" 7-string set, consider a heavy set instead.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
avamusic

Post by avamusic »

basically string size is a set of 59, 46, 36, 26, 17, 13 ...
right now im using a squire strat and it holds up fine but i like my string a little looser which is why i have toyed the idea of play short scale and im a jagstang fanatic
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

I play with nearly the same gauges on a Squier Strat in E standard, go big strings
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

The strings will feel a bit looser, however, it is not really that big of a step, once you get used to it