has anyone ever made an attenuator before?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

George

Post by George »

also, my amp has an external speaker out (the stock speaker cable is hardwired to the chassis but may be removed from the speaker), but the ohmage isn't listed. does it stand to reason that this would be 8 ohms to match the output transformer?
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

George wrote:does this schematic look good to go with the 3 way switch? i added the red.

this should cover 3 levels of brightness. can i swap the neutral and 4.7uf cap so it goes in order of brightness from bottom to top?

So just to clarify. Is this schematic "good" as it is drawn in this image? If it is I'm deffo doing the 3way switch now. Nice to have to options.
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Mike wrote:That's like honk squared. too much fucking honk.
George

Post by George »

the guy in this thread seems to get it to work okay. it looks like it's wired in the exact same way, except actually he joined the capacitors to lug 1 instead of lug 3 on the l-pad. i don't know what difference this makes if at all?

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... pic=7777.0

George

Post by George »

well, i've built the thing and it attenuates very well! unfortunately the bright switch doesn't work for some reason but there is no need for it because it's plenty bright at all settings. will open it up tomorrow to try and fix it.

also, my amp basically has no break up whatsoever on the clean channel. even at full volume with p90s it just manages a keith richard rhythm tone. not bad but i was hoping to get a really nice pure breakup sound without any extra stuff going on. the drive channel however, is very nice with full volume and middling gain. before it was totally unusable but this is maybe where it's strengths lie.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

Oh well. I really liked the idea of that bright switch and your layout was in a suitable idiot proof way of me understanding how to knock it together. I guess I'll just copy the basic one that I have here.

Thanks for reporting back though!
How Terribly Rock N Roll
George

Post by George »

i'm sure it works, i think i've just joined it to the wrong lug on the l-pad or something. momentary hiccup cos i probably didn't follow it right
George

Post by George »

think i've fixed it. the guy had numbered the lugs on the l-pad differently to mine. i should have followed the position and not the numbers. anyway, swapped connections to lugs 1 and 3 round and now the bright switches work fine, however, the taper is backwards so to lower the volume you have to turn up the attenuator, as if you're adding attenuation. bit bizarre. will have a look at swapping that round at some point

ben, does the one you're borrowing lower volume when you turn the l-pad clockwise?
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

Yeah George it does. I was just trying to figure it out then by acting it out in my head but yeah clockwise ADDS attenuation, lowering the sound.

Aaaah ok so as the lugs in the diagram are numbered 321 those are the right connections to make but wire em kinda like a mirror image?
How Terribly Rock N Roll
George

Post by George »

LOL, sorry i was being a numpty. the schematic is absolutely correct, i just had my L-Pad turned 180 degrees the other way and got confused. anyway, it's wired up correctly and i'm very much enjoying it.

it's been a while since i've really been able to use full on boost pedals designed for tube amps. my saltbooster and klon clone sound really good. the saltbooster is better at lower volumes to add some slight breakup, whereas the klon sounds completely in a league of its own when ragging an amp with full output.

also, it doesn't run hot at all. i'd heard people saying that these overheat and can break but that isn't the case at all
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nice work! I've always been intrigued by these - that video sounded insanely good.

I guess the results depend on what type of amp you have but it must be great fun experimenting with the attenuator and pedals up front
George

Post by George »

yeah, it's really good fun, especially as i've not been able to push this amp before. seems to get a nice keith richard tone, probably on account of it being a fender style amp with 5881s. i think i may rebias it a little hotter too as the clean sound is a little more sterile than i remember and the tubes look a little a dim.

i've been playing too much on the mustang recently and forgotten how nice tubes can be.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

So now I'm confused. Which way round should the lpad be. I didn't notice initially that it's numbered "backwards"

I would've had the lugs facing me (ie backwards) and numbered them 1 2 3. So are the numbers right or the physical/visual order of the connections?
How Terribly Rock N Roll
George

Post by George »

has your l-pad arrived yet? if so check your lug numbers against the ones in the schematic (the ones on your lpad should be numbered). completely forget what i did, otherwise this will get confusing
Last edited by George on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

George wrote:has your l-pad arrived yet? if so check your lug numbers against the ones in the schematic. completely forget what i did, otherwise this will get confusing
Aaah I'm grabbing from my friendly post office tomoro. I'll post a pic
How Terribly Rock N Roll
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

This is a fantastic thread and an awesome result George. Absolutely going to do the same when ££ allows.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
George

Post by George »

cheers, yeah i highly recommend this particularly if you don't have master volume. i'm going to rebias my amp later today and will see if that improves breakup. definitely a great way to get nice tube sounds at low volume. however, i'm considering changing the cap values on the bright switch. the 10uf is way too bright.

also now want to look at el34 and other low volume breakup models...
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

So, it's been an eventful evening! I knocked up the version shown in the thread but I had issues getting the caps so I just (in my own logic) took that out of the schem and did the rest. It didn't work. It effected the volume but didn't make the amp drive. Whilst I was fiddling I got an enormous electric shock! :oops:

So I dismantled and just copied the basic one I have. It now works but most of the attenuation is in the (less than) last quarter of the dial but it does the job.

I'm temped to do a proper demo with it so if I do I'll stick it on here for reference as well. Thanks for everyone's help above, it's been fun!
How Terribly Rock N Roll
George

Post by George »

Sorry to hear about the shock!

That's interesting about it not driving the amp. I wonder what's happening there. The drive is generated by the output tubes before the attenuator in the chain. The attenuator just lowers the volume, so it shouldn't affect the level of break up. Have you asked the guy you borrowed the original one from for a schematic?

Also what l-pad wattage did you get and what's the wattage of the amp? A very higher wattage might explain why the taper is all in the last quarter maybe?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

George wrote:Sorry to hear about the shock!

That's interesting about it not driving the amp. I wonder what's happening there. The drive is generated by the output tubes before the attenuator in the chain. The attenuator just lowers the volume, so it shouldn't affect the level of break up. Have you asked the guy you borrowed the original one from for a schematic?

Also what l-pad wattage did you get and what's the wattage of the amp? A very higher wattage might explain why the taper is all in the last quarter maybe?
Nope, it's just the taper of the pot.

Did you get Linear or Audio/Log?

I would imagine you want Audio.

The wattage is just the amount of power it can safely dissapate, nothing to do with the taper.
Benmurray85

Post by Benmurray85 »

Pretty sure I got the one that you linked to George! Tbh it'll be something I must've done coz now it's working fine. I just haven't got the bright switch but I can live without that anyways. At home it's a bit muddy but live I'll only be taking the edge off the volume. I'm gonna be test driving it at a practice session tonight. So apologies to anyone in the easy lancs area if the leccy goes for a bit tonight!
How Terribly Rock N Roll