Guitar you swear by that got panned when it was released...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

astro

Post by astro »

This:

Everybody shat on the strat jack jag when it came out, I won't repeat the reasons why. It's one hell of a guitar, and is my favourite to play these days. I got rid of the fugly tort and added pickup rings and metal covers to the stock pickups to make it more pretty, but otherwise it's all original, plays great and sounds like a good hambacker guitar should. And I've grown to love the strat jack.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

astro wrote:This:

Everybody shat on the strat jack jag when it came out, I won't repeat the reasons why. It's one hell of a guitar, and is my favourite to play these days. I got rid of the fugly tort and added pickup rings and metal covers to the stock pickups to make it more pretty, but otherwise it's all original, plays great and sounds like a good hambacker guitar should. And I've grown to love the strat jack.
I love my VM Jag, HH, too. And although I actually like Strat jacks, when I modded mine, I came up with a pickguard that combined the original with a Tele Thinline to cover the Strat Jack. As an exercise.

I also "fixed" the bridge with compensated Tele saddles:

I also moved the selector switch to the lower position - a Super 5-way switch that also offers both cream coils and both black coils. And it's got master volume and tone knobs with Squier Super-Sonic knobs.

The surprising thing to me about the guitar was the truly excellent Duncan Designed pickups and their contribution to the sustain of the guitar. You could go have a bite.

And these get blown out for half price from time to time.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

The Squier Super-Sonic, and the Fender Super-Sonic, both failed the first time around. I think that they are pretty alright.
A Whole Bunch of Guitars. Some with sparkles. Some with Pearl. Some with racing stripes.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

The Gibson Moderne keeps failing. I have a 2011 one in black that I adore. Has '57 Classic pickups and weighs only 7.3 pounds. And to me, is amazing looking.
NickS

Post by NickS »

It's like half a V with the other half designed not to slip off your knee (sitting)/cut into your beer-gut (standing, slung high)
astro

Post by astro »

wadeaminute wrote: The surprising thing to me about the guitar was the truly excellent Duncan Designed pickups and their contribution to the sustain of the guitar. You could go have a bite.
I was fully expecting to have to get new pickups but when I plugged it in for the first time I was so pleasantly surprised! They are keepers for sure. Nice, thick and rich tone.

I have never had problems with the stock bridge, I find it works great as is, and I'm glad Fender didn't do their usual lazy ass shtick of sticking an adjustomatic on it. Do the tele saddles give it more oomph or twang? That and the pickguard you made look amazing!
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

That guard is excellent, I would have preferred it in black but the design is cool really adds to the guitar.
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

astro wrote:
wadeaminute wrote: The surprising thing to me about the guitar was the truly excellent Duncan Designed pickups and their contribution to the sustain of the guitar. You could go have a bite.
I was fully expecting to have to get new pickups but when I plugged it in for the first time I was so pleasantly surprised! They are keepers for sure. Nice, thick and rich tone.

I have never had problems with the stock bridge, I find it works great as is, and I'm glad Fender didn't do their usual lazy ass shtick of sticking an adjustomatic on it. Do the tele saddles give it more oomph or twang? That and the pickguard you made look amazing!
I didn't like the function of the bridge - difficult intonation adjustment. But I like the shape of the plate - so I hybridized with compensated Tele saddles. It just feels much more solid to me. Not as good for fine-tuning, but less parts. And, yes, a bit more Tele-twang.

When I bought the guitar, I was going to put a Tele bridge on it and make it a Telemaster. But the pickups were so amazing that I didn't touch it for three years.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yeah that's really cool wade, love the Thinline control area.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
wadeaminute

Post by wadeaminute »

dezb1 wrote:Image

That guard is excellent, I would have preferred it in black but the design is cool really adds to the guitar.
Thanks. And I have to admit, black looks pretty good.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Fran wrote:The Fender Toronado GT suited me.
No one seemed to like them, the MIM model was more popular because it was more like a Proper Fender.
always loved the GT (esp yours) they actually have a NOS one in a shop here, i've been eyeing it up since the day they unboxed it.. still won't budge on the price ($749 cad) but i keep looking at it..
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

astro wrote:This:

I keep trying to find one of those in butter scotch blonde at a reasonable price. :cry:
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Any of the original peaveys. A t-60 was the first guitar I ever rrally appreciated as an instrument.
astro

Post by astro »

speedfish wrote: I keep trying to find one of those in butter scotch blonde at a reasonable price. :cry:
This one?

I would love to find one of these myself, but they seem pretty hard to find. Pretty cool that they have proper Jazzmaster pickups, and a maple fingerboard (my favorite!). Plus it offends all the offset purists, which amuses me. How much are they selling for nowadays? Has the price gone up now that it's discontinued? I think it's a really cool take on a barebones Jazzmaster.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

astro wrote:
speedfish wrote: I keep trying to find one of those in butter scotch blonde at a reasonable price. :cry:
This one?

I would love to find one of these myself, but they seem pretty hard to find. Pretty cool that they have proper Jazzmaster pickups, and a maple fingerboard (my favorite!). Plus it offends all the offset purists, which amuses me. How much are they selling for nowadays? Has the price gone up now that it's discontinued? I think it's a really cool take on a barebones Jazzmaster.
Fuck Yeah!!! That's the one! They use to go for $199.00 used at Guitar Center. I find them less frequently, but usually see them for ~$260.00-$375.00 used on ebay and similar sites.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Doh! Doh! Doh!

(duplicate erased)
Last edited by speedfish on Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disciple of Pain

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

serfx wrote:
No one seemed to like them, the MIM model was more popular because it was more like a Proper Fender.
always loved the GT (esp yours) they actually have a NOS one in a shop here, i've been eyeing it up since the day they unboxed it.. still won't budge on the price ($749 cad) but i keep looking at it..
Ooof, that's pricey!

Which colour is it?
I nearly bought a blue model last year, wished I had now, it was going for £350 on eBay.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:
serfx wrote:
Ooof, that's pricey!

Which colour is it?
I nearly bought a blue model last year, wished I had now, it was going for £350 on eBay.
T'is the model I associated with you Fran, get another and blame me if anyone complains...
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

wadeaminute wrote:
dezb1 wrote:Image

Thanks. And I have to admit, black looks pretty good.

everything about this rules
dots wrote:incesticide