Short Scale Bass Options

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

get the musicmaster. they are sexy. :)
http://hudebnibazar.cz/fender-musicmast ... /ID923675/
This is from the czech republic, but try to mail the guy. The bass is just rad as hell.
bluzdoctor

Post by bluzdoctor »

That's a cool bass. When will it be available?

George wrote:the new gary jarman cribs bass is 32" which is between fender's short (30") and full scale (34"), and the sleeker jazz bass style of neck with a narrower nut.

quite like the look of it myself

Dios Mio, man!
George

Post by George »

"late july 2016"

it's called "Squier FSR Gary Jarman The Cribs Signature Bass" or something (lol)
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

So not the most dynamic tonally, but I have this and really like the feel. I don't care for my chemical romance much, but also haven't let them put me off what I think is a really cool looking and nice feeling bass.

www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

I teach bass so I have several/have encountered even more smaller size basses. Quick lowdown with automobile equivalents for some perspective:

Squier Bronco "The Jeep"
Simple, does the job, takes a great deal of violence before it breaks. Strat pickup works shockingly well. Only downside is that the tuners are of quite low quality. The hold tune like most tuners, but tend to get damaged quite easy.

Epiphone eb-0 "The Rollswagen"
Crazy plastic kit version of a classic luxury car that is kinda cool in a national lampoon kinda way. Good for some stuff, definitely not all. Bridge is crap on these for student use, multiple issues. Ive had a gibson eb-3 for years and am used to and even like the bridge model but it is not great when in a $150 bass. Pickup is a weird very lo-middy tone, nice tuners. Neck will break when dropped. Horroble sticky black nut.

Höfner Club Bass C-series "The Alfa Romeo"
Sleek looks, nice finish, great sounds, but it really likes the shop better than your garage. This will explode to a million pieces when dropped. Tuners are from a classical guitar. A fender p-bass user will be scared to break stuff all the time. On the other hand it sounds amazing for a $300 piece of plywood. Also worth its price for the great pick tones alone. Not for the student, though.

Gretsch Junior Jet "The Ford Mustang"
It ain't a Ferrari for sure, but reliable family car technology with a big engine is kinda awesome too. This is basically a single pickup Höfner Club with a solid body and bolt-on hardware. P bass bridge, small schaller style tuners. Nice pickup and electronics. It's got its own thing going on, still not a mental own thing like eb-0. Kinda posh looking compared to the Bronco but just as, or even more sturdy.

Theres a few. Emphasis on classroom use, as that is where I mostly use these. I have one each, Höfner for personal use and the rest in schools. For reliability, I would choose the Gretsch. For cool pick sounds and gadget-factor Höfner. For Gibson bass sounds, a Gibson. Strapped of cash the Bronco.

In an ideal world daphne blue Musicmasters for students and a really well worn LPB Mustang Bass for myself. :lol:
bluzdoctor

Post by bluzdoctor »

Wow, great reviews. And the car analogy works for me. I've actually heard lots of good things about the Gretsch Jets, both the one-and-two-pickup versions.

I noodled around a bit on a Hofner Beatle bass a bit today. It was super light and had nice tone. Tuners seemed cheap.

I also played a Squier Jaguar SS, and it was surprisingly heavy. Didn't seem short scale, unlike the Bronco, which was like playing a guitar with four strings.
Dios Mio, man!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

You might also want to check out Vox.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

damn that was a great read. I like the analogies
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
bluzdoctor

Finally bought Fender JB62 SS

Post by bluzdoctor »

See below
Last edited by bluzdoctor on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dios Mio, man!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Nick wrote:Epiphone EB-0/EB-3.
The Epiphone EB-3 is actually 34" scale like the old Gibson EB-3L, I wish it was short as the bolt-on EB-0 (which is indeed 30.5") appeals to me infinitely less sound-wise with its lone mudbucker. The more recent "Gibson SG Bass" was a 30.5" EB-3.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

paul_ wrote:
Nick wrote:Epiphone EB-0/EB-3.
The Epiphone EB-3 is actually 34" scale like the old Gibson EB-3L, I wish it was short as the bolt-on EB-0 (which is indeed 30.5") appeals to me infinitely less sound-wise with its lone mudbucker. The more recent "Gibson SG Bass" was a 30.5" EB-3.
Epiphone used to make a Elitist model EB-3 that was the shorter scale one.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I love Squiers, but a nice 1970s Musicmaster bass would be ideal. Here's my 1978 model (unfortunately sold):

bluzdoctor

Re: Got a short scale bass

Post by bluzdoctor »

bluzdoctor wrote:Thanks for all suggestions and info. I settled on a short scale Fender Japan '62Jazz bass. An eBay find, it is called JB62SS FOR "Smart size" Body and neck are 15% smaller than reg JB, while scale is 29.5"

I'll review after it arrives and I get playing time.

So I'm selling my 1983 MIJ Fender Bullet long scale on Talk Bass classifieds if any interest. SOLD...

Here are pics of new bass:

ImageFender Japan Jazz Bass 62 short scale by bluzdoctor[/img]

ImageFender Japan JB62SS by bluzdoctor

ImageFender
Japan JB62SS
by bluzdoctor http://[/img]

ImageFender Japan Jazz Bass 62 short scale by bluzdoctor
Dios Mio, man!