EQ as an OD

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

EQ as an OD

Post by dezb1 »

Been messing with my new pedal board and have just realised how good an OD you can get from boosting your EQ.

XY
NickS

Post by NickS »

I've seen them used that way, I really should get one.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Only recently got mine, well worth the money makes getting a good sound easy. Adds depth going into the flanger and like the thread title says doubles as a multi band overdrive. I don't think I'll have a pedal board that doesn't have one on it from here on... a must have pedal.
XY
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

So you're using it to boost your signal to make your amp overdrive?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I'm not entirely sure as it works at low volume too, I do run my amp just under break up I'll give it a whirl with a purely clean tone later and see.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

found a you tube video that demos the sound you get.

[youtube][/youtube]
XY
paul_

Post by paul_ »

dezb1 wrote:I'm not entirely sure as it works at low volume too, I do run my amp just under break up I'll give it a whirl with a purely clean tone later and see.
That's basically using it a booster. The preamp setting is probably all that matters... the "just under breakup" setting you're using relies on your pickups'/pedalboard's output which you're redlining with the EQ. A higher output pickup, booster or max'd EQ will make it crunch if it's set within the realm of reaching that stage to begin with. I have to turn my plexis down when I go from '57 RI Strat to Les Pauls/SGs or else my carefully-dialed Little Wing sound goes all Fairies Wear Boots on me.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickS

Post by NickS »

Does the Harley Benton have a metal case? Are those LEDs on each slider, and are they all lit when the pedal is on?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Seems to be the same as the more expensive GLX and similarly priced Chord...
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Yes it has a metal case, they're not less, and it's definitely made in the same place as my GLX flanger
XY
NickS

Post by NickS »

I snagged the Chord bass version for £22.40 on Amazon; exactly the same frequencies as the Behringer BEQ700 and presumably the Boss.. When I went back to check it had gone up to £25.60 wtf? I suppose really I should have gone for the Caline 10-channel one at £28 as it covers the whole range from about 35 Hz in octaves, but it's a bit big for the board....maybe I need a bigger board.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

I do this also.. i push certain freq's way up without adjusting the volume on anything and it seems to give an overdriven sound.. i usually crank mids way up
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

with the right (settings on the) eq, i bet you could dial up some pretty whacky tones that way, too. suck out the bass, mids, and highs except the high mids and crank the volume to get a nasally tone. stuff like that.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

dots wrote:with the right (settings on the) eq, i bet you could dial up some pretty whacky tones that way, too. suck out the bass, mids, and highs except the high mids and crank the volume to get a nasally tone. stuff like that.
exactly.. another thing i did a few days ago was the old wah thing where you leave it on and open and it sounded really rad. I'm gonna use it to "punch in" little riffs and fills in my bowie cover. It really stays out of the way in the mix and works well.
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
NickS

Post by NickS »

Beta Aivin (Chord/Harley Benton) Bass Equalizer BEQ-1 received, pleasantly surprised to find it came with a battery. I won't get a chance to fiddle for a day or two, but I'm tempted to open it up and see what the guts are like. Can I replace any op-amps with lower noise equivalents?