Squire Bass VI

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Al_

Squire Bass VI

Post by Al_ »

Scored one off a buddy of mine ($300). Still waiting to get a schedule together where I can grab it from him, but pretty excited. I love love love the tone from Fredo & Rochelle's legit Fender Bass VI but that would never be in the cards in current financial circumstances. I'm hoping my budget alternative still has the mid-range bite I really like about theirs.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Congrats. Love mine. It’s ace.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Awesome, thanks man!
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Excellent.
They are pretty well reviewed in the BassVI Facebook group I’m in. There are plenty of people who are Fender purists, but many also rave about the quality for price... the usual for the VM/CV Squiers.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Thanks, hopefully I'll get it next week.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

What colour combo is it? I've always liked these
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

If you're buying it off a mate then these things may already have been addressed but the stock low E is floppy as hell and you'll almost certainly want to replace at least that string (if not the whole the set). The stock bridge is a bit cheapy and a lot of people upgrade them straight away but I've actually found the one on mine to be okay. I do intend getting one of the wider Staytrem ones at some point though.

Not sure what particular toan you're hoping it'll do that the legit one did but I've always been really impressed at the different variety of tones you can get out of the Squier using the various switching combinations.

Hope you like it anyway!
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

It's white/cream with tort trim from my memory of the photo I saw of it. It is from a mate of mine; and I recall when he listed it he indicated he had replaced the stock bridge--just messaged him to confirm. He also said he's giving me an extra set of strings. He's a pretty deft player and he used it to record a couple of years back so I imagine he's got it pretty well set up.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Oh, and in terms of tone--I want that mid range/high cliff/definition/heft/chunk tone. I had an old recording from an ALBQ of I think AEN playing Fredo and Rochelle's Fender Bass VI and OH MY FUCKING GOD. When the bass dropped in on that song I fell in love. Unfortunately the drive I had a bunch of those songs on got scrubbed and Apple Music was nice enough to delete them all off my phone; so I can't post it and it's obviously difficult to describe tones in words. But yeah.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

No new bridge, he just put ferrules in the posts to keep it from shifting. Looks like I should be able to meet up with him tomorrow to grab it. Will post pics!
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Got it!

Still has the stock strings on it, though he gave me a spare set had gotten awhile back--D'Addario; said they were the cheap set. What would you (Bear Boy) recommend as far as strings go if I decide to get something else? Anyway, pretty excited about this! I'll give a shot at playing it this evening.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

And so I'm just now listening to the Damned's Black Album--so kind of the bass tone on "Hit or Miss" to get in the ballpark of what I'm angling for.

[youtube][/youtube]
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Pretty nice electric bass guitar.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Cheers!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Good taste (same colour as mine ;) )

As you're US based, take a look at Kalium Strings. They used to be known as Circle K and do Bass VI sets in about a million different gauges (very useful if you're thinking of going down the baritone rather than bass route). They're really reasonably priced but the postage costs over to the Island, which you obviously won't have to worry about, are a bit nuts. Got a friend due to bring me some over in a month or two when he comes to visit.

The D'Addario ones are, I think, the same gauge as the stock ones. They might be better quality though.

I've read lots of people recommending the La Bella flatwounds but they're about £65-£70 over here so I've steered clear. There are some La Bella roundwounds that are a bit cheaper but still 5 or 6 times the cost of the Kalium ones.
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Awesome, thanks!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

My favourite colour scheme too, looks lovely!
Al_

Post by Al_ »

Cheers. Had a meeting last night so haven't yet had a chance to try it out. Tonight!