Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

HELP COMPUTER: modding a Boss pedal

Post by Doog »

GIJoe.jpeg
GIJoe.jpeg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Hey gang, seeking some specific advice or even offers of handsomely paid service here, so I'd be grateful for any input at all.

So, I love a good Big Muff-based circuit, namely due the fact there's some filtering happening early on in the circuit dulling the sharp attack of the input, resulting in That Muffled Thing It Do.

That's key to me as I run a very sharp clanky 'clean' sound into the Muff, and I really want a lot of contrast when it's on, all while still keeping that clanky OD on to goose the Muff. Sounds so sick, bruh.

Up until now, I've been using a Boss LS-2 to switch my Muff O'Choice in and out as, sat next to my OC-5 and TU-3, it makes turning multiples of these on and off together a snap.

However, I've really wanted to replace that system with a standalone Boss pedal to keep things lighter and simpler, but literally every Boss distortion or fuzz I've tried (I've honestly tried pretty much them all at this point, even weird rare ones) maintains or even BOOSTS that sharp attack. I guess that's the nature of distortion really.

I'm mostly likely looking at a Boss HM-2 or MD-2 Mega Distortion as they have great EQ and gain characteristics.

I've done some simple mods to the MT-2 and DS-1, but they're generally subtractive, just removing caps etc. to tweak the sound to sound, uh, better.

I feel like, all this needs to be is adding a cap to the right place in the circuit, but I'm a bit too green to scope out any schematics and relate to the circuit currently.

Thank you! xo
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: HELP COMPUTER: modding a Boss pedal

Post by plopswagon »

Doog gonna cap that bitch!
β–Ί Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: ↑Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Sounds like you want a single transistor input stage with that negative feedback cap that simulates the Miller effect you get with valves and germanium transistors.
Personal pronouns he/him
dub

Post by dub »

Feels like it would be easier to stick another circuit and/or foot switch into a muff enclosure than trying to mod a completely different circuit into something it isn't? Plenty of space.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Looking at the circuit diagrams for the SD-2 and HM-2, the HM-2 has a similar input stage to the Big Muff Pi. You might try increasing the value of C10, currently 100 pF, if the other aspects suit.
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

dub wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 1:20 am Feels like it would be easier to stick another circuit and/or foot switch into a muff enclosure than trying to mod a completely different circuit into something it isn't? Plenty of space.
But my point is I want the Boss enclosure because of the form factor and those 2 Boss pedals I mentioned CAN get close enough for me, but just need a bit of a help.

I had previously thought about rehousing a mini Muff pedal into a Boss enclosure, but as the whole bypass system is different, as soon as you start having to fuck with that - now having to operate the Frankenstein'd BossMuff different because of a 3PDT switch hiding in there -, it just introduces a different flavour of problem.

NickS wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 7:42 am Looking at the circuit diagrams for the SD-2 and HM-2, the HM-2 has a similar input stage to the Big Muff Pi. You might try increasing the value of C10, currently 100 pF, if the other aspects suit.
Ooh that's very interesting, thanks Nick! Based on the circuit, would you foresee any problems with me just running some flying leads out to a pot and a cap, so I can experiment before settling on a specific cap value? It's just sorta working as a guitar tone control at that point, no?

I'll likely pick up a Behringer copy and fuck around with it before sinking a ton into the real thing; based on the mod I did to a Behringer Superfuzz, they're relatively friendly to work with.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Doog wrote: ↑Sun May 12, 2024 3:23 pmI've honestly tried pretty much them all at this point, even weird rare ones) maintains or even BOOSTS that sharp attack. I guess that's the nature of distortion really.
Did you try the PW-2? It was, IIRC, supposedly their attempt at a Big Muff style pedal.

Hurb did an demo of the Behringer clone:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BearBoy wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 10:26 am
Doog wrote: ↑Sun May 12, 2024 3:23 pmI've honestly tried pretty much them all at this point, even weird rare ones) maintains or even BOOSTS that sharp attack. I guess that's the nature of distortion really.
Did you try the PW-2? It was, IIRC, supposedly their attempt at a Big Muff style pedal.

Hurb did an demo of the Behringer clone:

Yeaaaah, I so badly wanted this to be solution but no dice; there's still looooads of attack coming through. I've not tried one (Boss or Behminger), but they do still sound quite different in this and other demos.
β–Ί Show Spoiler
In general, I guess likely down to the the buffer and/or input impedance of Boss pedals, so the 'tamping down' needs to happen inside the circuit for sure.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Suspected it probably wouldn't have escaped your attention but thought it worth mentioning just in case.

Hopefully Nick's suggestion will help you wreck an expensive vintage Boss pedal get the sondz you need.
Doog wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 11:05 amBehminger
Not sure if deliberate or typo but :lol:
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

πŸ˜‰
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 8:07 am
dub wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 1:20 am Feels like it would be easier to stick another circuit and/or foot switch into a muff enclosure than trying to mod a completely different circuit into something it isn't? Plenty of space.
But my point is I want the Boss enclosure because of the form factor and those 2 Boss pedals I mentioned CAN get close enough for me, but just need a bit of a help.

I had previously thought about rehousing a mini Muff pedal into a Boss enclosure, but as the whole bypass system is different, as soon as you start having to fuck with that - now having to operate the Frankenstein'd BossMuff different because of a 3PDT switch hiding in there -, it just introduces a different flavour of problem.

NickS wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 7:42 am Looking at the circuit diagrams for the SD-2 and HM-2, the HM-2 has a similar input stage to the Big Muff Pi. You might try increasing the value of C10, currently 100 pF, if the other aspects suit.
Ooh that's very interesting, thanks Nick! Based on the circuit, would you foresee any problems with me just running some flying leads out to a pot and a cap, so I can experiment before settling on a specific cap value? It's just sorta working as a guitar tone control at that point, no?

I'll likely pick up a Behringer copy and fuck around with it before sinking a ton into the real thing; based on the mod I did to a Behringer Superfuzz, they're relatively friendly to work with.
There's no harm in trying, but keep the leads as short as possible.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote: ↑Mon May 13, 2024 8:07 am
Well, sort of. Where it is you get a filter effect that is larger than you might think, as the value of the cap is effectively multiplied by the gain of the stage (the Miller effect).
HM-2 input.png
HM-2 input.png (85.89 KiB) Viewed 15 times
In this diagram the high frequency cut-off in the input stage is pretty much determined by the values of R19 and (C10 x gain).
Notice that right behind that input stage is another similar stage around Q7 (upside down, PNP transistor) but with lower gain so the effective cut-off frequency would be higher; maybe if the input stage goes into clipping that takes some of the edge off the clipping? I really should learn how to use SPICE or some other circuit emulation.

There are a whole bunch of variations of the Muff input stage, though, so I'm not quite sure which you prefer; see http://www.bigmuffpage.com/Big_Muff_Pi_ ... part1.html

I did add a small feedback cap to the silicon Fuzz Face clone my son built. The Fuzz Face has variable gain on the input stage so as you turn the gain up the cut-off frequency comes down.
Personal pronouns he/him