Drum dampener suggestions

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Radio friendly

Drum dampener suggestions

Post by Radio friendly »

Yo, i got a tama superstar drumset just this weekend and i dont have it yet but its on layaway. i have another tama swingstar snare i got on egay for 20 bucks and i need a good drum dampening product because of these damn snare overtones, any suggestions?(for you drummers in here)
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

robroe likes his pearl muffle heads, though you might want to check up with him on those.
DeadPenny

Post by DeadPenny »

studio rings and moon gel. they work wonders, without killing your drum.

EDIT: oh, and check out the Aquarian Performance II or the Evans Power Center. solid, good sounding drum heads.
Being in love, I've found, is a lot like working at a factory - eventually, you get replaced by either a foreigner or a machine...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Tune the snare properly and use an O-ring.

StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Hi, I'm gaybear's friend.

I play drums. What type of sound are you going for? Are you going for a nice open ringing sound? Are you going for a dry crisp attack? Are you going for '70's studio thudditry?

If you're going for the open ringing sound, then Evan's G2s or Pinstripes with some moon gel will be right up your alley.

Dry Crisp attack calls for some Studio O-rings (and maybe some strategically placed Moon Gel, over some Evans Genera HD with the vents for the snare, and then whatever your heart fancies for tom heads with more O-rings.

If you want some nice ubercontrolled '70's studio thudditry, get the Evans Hydraulics and never worry about excess ringing again.

For bass heads I can't recommend the Evan's E-Mad enough. it comes with a built in ring that can be left open, have minimal damping, or a large damping ring. So it's very versatile. I have that on my DW with the DW control pillow only very lightly touching the head, and it brings the thunder when I have it opened, and a nice bass attack when I damp it up.

And lest we think I'm just an evan's fanboy... Stay away from the Evan's mini-E-mad damping system. They are a velcro and glue based strap that latches your head to the rim and they do a GREAT job of muting.... except that if you're a basher, like myself, you'll pop them off the head!!! So don't bother.
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

StevePirates wrote:If you're going for the open ringing sound, then Evan's G2s or Pinstripes with some moon gel will be right up your alley.
I agree and welcome to the board.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

i taped a cymbal felt to the snare. sweeeeet.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Chico Malo wrote:
StevePirates wrote:If you're going for the open ringing sound, then Evan's G2s or Pinstripes with some moon gel will be right up your alley.
I agree and welcome to the board.
thanks, I like the other board for socialization n' stuff. But I'm a gear geek, so I need a place to geek out and not just have people tell me "why you don't play drums for band X no moar?!"

school that's why.
and starting in August... man, I don't even want to think about the next 3 years of law school.
Radio friendly

Post by Radio friendly »

thanks for the help guys but i already got some moongels for my swingstar snare. i shouldve got the powerstroke 3 with dot head, but i just got the powerstroke 3
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

how are the moongels working out for you?

one of the DIY solutions that I forgot to mention was duct tape.

seriously, take a stretch of duct tape, tape part of it to itself till it's in a T shape, then use the rest to attach to head to the rim.
Radio friendly

Post by Radio friendly »

moongels working perfect, before i had those, i was taping paper towels to my drumhead :P