Bargain stompers.

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

No worries at all. Looking forward to getting my hands on them :)
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Well, finally started coming out of my depression, and got back to finishing the damn designs. Here's the status - I've finished designs on all. I am still unsure about the overdrive, so I've devised two types, see the first post in the thread. I am waiting on an order of trimpots for those, so until I know the physical size I can't make the boards for those two overdrives yet. So, in the meantime I'm going to print a batch of Fuzz, PerkyFuzz, and Boostz.

The boost I just tested. And it rules. It is loud, and it pushes tubes so well it could fry the internetz just by me posting this. This is a true overdrive itself, it makes your tubes work if you crank it.

Now, I'm going to make one of each now. Then I'll record some sound clips, post them up, and I'll ship out if everyone is happy with the results. This is going to happen very soon now, I'm actually really excited about it.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nice. I'm still on for both overdrives!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

PenPen wrote:The boost I just tested. And it rules. It is loud, and it pushes tubes so well it could fry the internetz just by me posting this. This is a true overdrive itself, it makes your tubes work if you crank it.
I'm looking forward to this very much! Very exciting.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

PenPen wrote:The boost I just tested. And it rules. It is loud, and it pushes tubes so well it could fry the internetz just by me posting this. This is a true overdrive itself, it makes your tubes work if you crank it.
how much for this?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Yeah, regarding prices. My first run of these for you guys is $30 each, because I already stated this. However, I am going to have to raise the prices a bit after that. When I first decided to do this I thought I had a supplier for very cheap casings and stompswitches, but it turns out that wasn't a stable supplier and thus my cost on these tripled. I can use what I have bought already, and after that my cost on each box will be right at break-even for PARTS, no time factored in. So, I have commited to do this first run for everyone who have already gotten on this list for flat $30 even. After that, I will need to re-evaluate the costs involved, but I can say it won't go above $50. My figures last night are indicating $40-$45 will be possible.

Sorry if this upsets anyone. I suppose to get started any business loses money at first, but being that I am financing this venture purely on my own pocket-book I can't run in the red too much. Add to the fact that I ended up NOT using any stock designs, I thought they sounded bad so I ended up with pretty much original designs for all (except the Perky, of course, but that is just an interpretation of an inaccurate circuit).

Recap- everyone who put in an order already is getting it for the price of $30, since I've already committed. After this new prices will be calculated and posted.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

How involved is the boost circuit?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Doog wrote:How involved is the boost circuit?
Stupidly simple. It is similar to the ZVex SHO in that it uses a mosfet for it's gain, but I'm most proud of the fact that I did NOT base it on the AMZ Mosfet Booster that the SHO was. This uses a totally different approach, really just a standard gain-stage set up. But that is all, really. A single Mosfet is all it takes to roast your tubes. I couldn't believe how crunchy it got when I turned up the amp, and thus letting more signal in. Single knob on the tail end of it, guitar-volume-style.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

that's seems fair penpen, what happened to the supplier? wasn't it going to be that place cowbell told us about?
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Mr Mustache wrote:that's seems fair penpen, what happened to the supplier? wasn't it going to be that place cowbell told us about?
Yes, but it turns out that was a wholesaler with a mis-shipment of them and they were blowing them out at that price to get rid of them. I thought they were always selling at that price.

So now I'm back to using Smallbear for boxes.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

ah well that sucks, what about the 3PDT switches? i've been waiting to order some from them
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Mr Mustache wrote:ah well that sucks, what about the 3PDT switches? i've been waiting to order some from them
AFAIK that is the same deal. PM Cowbell for more info.
Mr Mustache

Post by Mr Mustache »

ok thanks dude
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

PenPen wrote:
Doog wrote:How involved is the boost circuit?
Stupidly simple. It is similar to the ZVex SHO in that it uses a mosfet for it's gain, but I'm most proud of the fact that I did NOT base it on the AMZ Mosfet Booster that the SHO was. This uses a totally different approach, really just a standard gain-stage set up. But that is all, really. A single Mosfet is all it takes to roast your tubes. I couldn't believe how crunchy it got when I turned up the amp, and thus letting more signal in. Single knob on the tail end of it, guitar-volume-style.
Could you point me in the direction of a schem for the one in question please dude?
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

euan
gary

Post by gary »

Chris, I'll gladly take one of those clean boost pedals from you for $40-50 plus whatever UK shipping is (I think around $20-25 going from eBay experience). Been hankering for a mosfet based one since I sold my SCP a few years ago.
hell is most other guitarists
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Yep. Now that I'm actually LOOKING at it I see some similar aspects (the note at the top scared me away from even looking at it before), but all the same there are several differences, and the similar aspects are merely the fact that both are mosfet gain stages. My biasing is different, my cap on the source is different, and my input/output cap values are different. Plus, that thing has at lowest unity gain. Mine has a fixed gain on the mosfet but with a guitar-style volume on the end, so you can turn it completely out if desired.

Gary: Would be happy to. Again, I want to get things going first before taking the next batch of orders. I never imagined this would be so difficult to start up, I'm nickpicking over details more than I ever have since this is now my rep being put on the line, and not just some box for me that I can just change later. Now I have to quadruple check every aspect of the designs before doing ANYTHING, otherwise it will be costly in the long run. I am DYING to print these boards and get to actual construction. My biggest fear is that the pedal's will overlap in function, but then again variety is nice, no? We'll just see how it turns out with the first run.