Latest projects.

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Dillon

Latest projects.

Post by Dillon »

What I've been doing lately:

Yes, it's transparent white, say what you will.

What I'll be doing soon:

Squier '51 project. I've got a black top mount hardtail strat bridge, so I started toying with the idea of doing all black hardware, and that's what came out. I think it looks rather classy. I'll be going with Lace Hot Gold pickups, not EMGs as pictured. Still trying to decide on a neck but I'm leaning towards an allparts piece, or if I decide to go cheap, mighty mite.

Took some steel wool to my bass, and I'll be getting a maple fretboard P-bass neck for it, as well as a black pickguard. I'm going after that 70s target burst P bass look. Currently considering spraying some nitro on it and inducing checking.
Sublimedo

Post by Sublimedo »

sorta antigua-ish. I think its awesome. Great job on both counts.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Thanks! It looks more white in person. And that picture was with only a few coats of paint on; it's been too cold here to put any more on. But after a few more coats it should be more of a solid finish.

As a side note, it's amazing how much the tone of that bass body was affected by taking off some of the lacquer. Now when I tap on it, it actually sounds like wood, instead of plastic. And putting a tuning fork on it reveals that it's more resonant, too.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Blondes have more fun! I had considered that color for one of mine, but I had to go with favorites first.
Yell Like Hell
mezzio13
GOODmin

Re: Latest projects.

Post by mezzio13 »

Love it....... Good stuff as always man...
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Thanks. Although it's actually the same body from three years ago...I decided to refinish it and do it right this time. If there's one thing I regret about this body, it's the placement of the knobs. That is, having the knobs behind the bridge is kind of weird. And of course that big ding in the neck pickup route... :lol: I've got another one like it (but slightly revised) sitting around that I'll finish one of these days. The wood's not as pretty, so I'll paint it a solid color. I'm thinking of daphne blue for that one, or maybe trying my hand at a metallic color like LPB.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Ding schming. You won't even see it onc ethe pup is in. Metallics are surprisingly easy. Who doesn't love LPB? Although my god, there are five stock colors, and they can be modified with CARs. I have painted LPB and copper, and will soon be doing a shoreline. Would love to try silver or Icey blue.
Yell Like Hell
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Dillon wrote:Thanks. Although it's actually the same body from three years ago..
I was thinking it was the same body from back in the day.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

wheres the progress?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!
even if there are just some mock up shots, that wil lsuffice,
i need my fix!!!
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Sadness. :( It took a spill from about ten feet up onto my concrete garage floor. Never hanging anything from up there again. Although I'd hate to say this is the end, I'm not sure it's even worth my time to fix something that bad...

My bass is still dismantled as I've been spending a ton of money on my car lately.

I don't know if I'm going to take on a '51 project. But, I'd like to build this:

Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

totally fixable. Use your head. Hint: epoxy fillers.
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Aug wrote:totally fixable. Use your head. Hint: epoxy fillers.
what about counter sinking some screws or those really small finishing nails used for trim to be used as a brace or pin? and what aug said...when used together it will be stronger than before!
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

OW. SHit! BUt yeah. Glue will make it stronger than before. The bionic bass.
Yell Like Hell
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Yeah I know it's fixable. But it'll be a lot of work that I wasn't looking forward to. Plus filling it will pretty much mean painting it a solid color, or else it'd look like ass in that spot.
Radio friendly

Post by Radio friendly »

i saw that first pic without reading and i thought you were making a reversed RD artist
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Dillon wrote:Yeah I know it's fixable. But it'll be a lot of work that I wasn't looking forward to. Plus filling it will pretty much mean painting it a solid color, or else it'd look like ass in that spot.
actually...mix wood glue and water, use a syringe to inject and clamp it. Good As New!
Alyn
formerly Bob_the_godly_dude

Post by Alyn »

Yeah, indeed, if done well it will hardly be noticable. Shame to throw it out because it was looking good.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Well, I haven't got the patience up yet to fix that body. But I did this instead, since I haven't done anything guitar related in a while. Roadstar v 4.0:

And I'll be getting some of these for it soon:

I might even put wide range HBs in it. It came from an HSS setup, and that just wasn't working. The single coils I had in it sounded terrible with 500k pots. Ultimately a dual humbucker setup is a better choice for this guitar.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

the color reminds me of a glazed krispy kreme... it looks delicious

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Dillon wrote:Well, I haven't got the patience up yet to fix that body. But I did this instead, since I haven't done anything guitar related in a while. Roadstar v 4.0:

And I'll be getting some of these for it soon:

I might even put wide range HBs in it. It came from an HSS setup, and that just wasn't working. The single coils I had in it sounded terrible with 500k pots. Ultimately a dual humbucker setup is a better choice for this guitar.
with those knobs and wide rangers that's like a '72 Strat Deluxe.