Fender price rise - update

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

ekwatts wrote:
Mike wrote:They are of equivalent quality, Eric.
Yeah, I know, just seems odd to have those crazy Mezcans priced as highly as the Japanese ones. It's not tradition, and as a guitarist, I am afraid when companies break from tradition.
I've owned many Japanese Fenders, and they're great, however the perceived difference between the Japanese Fenders and the Mexican ones is no longer real. It is all just old news. The Classic Player Telecaster and Jaguar I have are superb, more than the equal of the Japanese guitars I have owned and played, particularly when you factor in pickups.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Mike wrote:
ekwatts wrote:
Mike wrote:They are of equivalent quality, Eric.
Yeah, I know, just seems odd to have those crazy Mezcans priced as highly as the Japanese ones. It's not tradition, and as a guitarist, I am afraid when companies break from tradition.
I've owned many Japanese Fenders, and they're great, however the perceived difference between the Japanese Fenders and the Mexican ones is no longer real. It is all just old news. The Classic Player Telecaster and Jaguar I have are superb, more than the equal of the Japanese guitars I have owned and played, particularly when you factor in pickups.
It seems that way. I remember back in the day when the MIM stuff first started to appear in shops and it was like "how can they put 'Fender' on a Mexican guitar"? People could only accept Jap and US. But they have made some great stuff especially over the last year or so. I still think they have their own 'feel' though.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The Standard's aren't great but if you're a Telecaster fan (I know you're not, Fran), I implore you to explain the £1100 price difference between my Baja Telecaster and the '52 AVRI Telecaster. It just doesn't exist, they are comparable. The Baja even has better Custom Shop pickups, FFS.

Would be interested in your feelings on the Jaguar at Doogfest, I think you might not like it as much as the classic ones. It's more of a rhythm machine than a lead guitar. Suits me though.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Mike wrote:The Standard's aren't great but if you're a Telecaster fan (I know you're not, Fran), I implore you to explain the £1100 price difference between my Baja Telecaster and the '52 AVRI Telecaster. It just doesn't exist, they are comparable. The Baja even has better Custom Shop pickups, FFS.

Would be interested in your feelings on the Jaguar at Doogfest, I think you might not like it as much as the classic ones. It's more of a rhythm machine than a lead guitar. Suits me though.
I dunno mate, MIMs usually have a more modern 'player friendly' neck, the CIJ models dont particularly exceed in the widdly widdly department. Interesting to try.
I see what your saying about the Tele, i had a brief strum on yours and i did like it. Is'nt Progs Strat a MIM classic player? That was really nice.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

yeah I always forget to mention his Classic Player Strat when I wax lyrical about how great the MIM CPs are.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i'm glad the MIM jags are so good. i don't think i could ever really bond with a japanese mustang or jag, i think the necks on them feel weird. i played a CP jag and a 65RI mustang back to back a couple of months ago and the CP felt a lot more comfortable to me. i'd definitely buy one if i was in the market for a jag, seeing as vintage ones are out of my acceptable price range.

my only other experience of a mexican fender was a tele that my friend had a few years back and it was dreadful. sounded like someone dropping a drawerful of cutlery when you strummed a chord.

edit: of course, the mexican factory seems to have upped its game on other models recently too, not just the jags/jazzies.
msteuk

Post by msteuk »

I was massively unimpressed when I tried out a MIM standard strat recently. Played and sounded worse than my old Squier imo.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

msteuk wrote:I was massively unimpressed when I tried out a MIM standard strat recently. Played and sounded worse than my old Squier imo.
Well, thats what they were. Then they stuck 'F' on the headstock and a few upgrades. Personally i have a fondness for the old Korean Squiers. The Protone series were amazing and even the standard stuff, i put a MIK neck on my Bullet Special Strat and its one awesome guitar.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Fellow Jag-Stang hoarders, wait for it, wait for it....

With most of the Fenders I like up in the ludicrous bracket these days, I'd pretty much stopped paying attention anyway. My $900 strat would probably go for $1200 now, in it's slightly played condition. I think it's nuts that they'd ease in the increases they have in the last 5 or 6 years across the board and I haven't noticed, at least everyone's reminding each other that there's an overall 10% increase now.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

My mim standard is awesome, of course it was a limited edition 50th aniversary of the strat; satin strat.
william

Post by william »

my MIJ squier is the shit, if it were white/white/maple id have a harder time selling it. its going on ebay probably tomorrow. if i find myself needing/wanting a strat again ill be kicking myself.

if we just dont buy the things they will have to lower the prices. dont they have a hard enough time selling anything but 200 dollar strats as it is?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

william wrote:dont they have a hard enough time selling anything but 200 dollar strats as it is?
No. Clearly not.
msteuk

Post by msteuk »

Would be interesting to find out when their prices were at their lowest (in real terms). I remember reading that back in the '50s/'60s a standard strat or tele would be sold at what would be around £2000 in today's money.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

my mij squier was/is better than the mim standard strat i had.. until it got warmoth and 'merican fender-ized to be as far removed from the mexican factory as blighty.. the neck felt like it was made of balsa, but ended up being replaced with a us deluxe version instead..

had a go on a 72 thinline mim reissue once which seemed pretty good - still couldn't get on with the neck though, mainly due to the profile. the cp jazz/jags seem great though.

if they keep going with the price hike, a 70's reissue will be worth more than the real thing...
my signature goes here
Jazzmasterfan

Post by Jazzmasterfan »

I've got a MIJ Jazzmaster (95) and whilst it is alightly heavy (about 9lbs) it is a good quality guitar...the pickups weren't the best but I upgraded those with Seymour Duncans and it not kicks and purrs lovely.

I bout a MIM Fender Telecaster Deluxe (after wathing Mike on you tube) and am very very happy with. Unless I had alot of cash spare (not going to happen with a wife, two kids and a mortgage!!!) I don't think I would want to pay over £500 for a guitar.

Knowing that the Fender prices are about to go up, I'm trying to get a deal on a Fender Baja Telecaster...and expect to get it shortly. That will be the end of my guitar buying!
liams_coke_dealer

Post by liams_coke_dealer »

To give everyone an actual example of the price rise, I bought a new Jazzmaster last weekend. I have spammed about it on here so much you ALL must know about Milky.

anyways. i put it on layby last nov. It cost $1200 Australian then. When i picked it up, they said they would have made me pay $2000 AUD had i not layby'd it last year.

thats 800 more! FEK ARSE!
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

paul_ wrote:Fellow Jag-Stang hoarders, wait for it, wait for it....
Ha, I've been watching this too.

In the past fortnight 2 Jag-Stangs have sold on ebay uk for £545 and a ludicrous £700 (although that one only went today so may not complete). In the past month 2 more have sold for £350. Definitely worth holding on to for a bit longer, this Fender price rise should help the cause.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Why? It's not like you can buy Jag-Stangs now for new, hence the price rise is meaningless.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It's still a hilariously ugly guitar. I can't get over the multiple ways in which it sucks. That Mustang guard is far too close to the body edge on the left side, the stupid lower horn pickguard thing, slanted bucker = ugly. Probably should have the Jaguar Trem system also.
aphasiac

Post by aphasiac »

Mike wrote:It's still a hilariously ugly guitar. I can't get over the multiple ways in which it sucks. That Mustang guard is far too close to the body edge on the left side, the stupid lower horn pickguard thing, slanted bucker = ugly. Probably should have the Jaguar Trem system also.
I think it looks better when it's being played, as the slanted bucker runs 90 degrees to the floor, and the offset body looks hot.

That said, it still sounds like ass.