Mustang/Jaguar bridge help

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

matocaster

Mustang/Jaguar bridge help

Post by matocaster »

Hello all,
I once owned a orignal 1966 Fender Mustang and I made a little upgrade to it by putting small bridge sleeves into the body thimbles where the bridge mounts so that the bridge would not rock back and fourth. This made my intonation VERY stable those little bastards were the best mod I ever made to my mustang, I was sick of the bridge rocking back and fourth on stage so I asked a friend of my grandfathers to hlep me make sleeves to fit in the thimble and allow my bridge to slide in. I had the brass sleeves custom milled for me by my grandfathers friend, sadly he has passed away and sadly the mustang is gone, had to put myself through college somehow haha. I was just curious if anyone out there is making these? I am building a Jaguar now want/need to make the same mod. Has anyone seen these before? And if so where can I get 'em?

Thanks so much for any help!
“I need to take a piece of wood and make it sound like the railroad track, but I also had to make it beautiful and lovable so a person playing it would think of it in terms of his mistress, a bartender, his wife, a good psychiatrist - whatever.� Les Paul
bassintom

Post by bassintom »

I wrapped mine with cooper tape w adhesiv
I'm goin ta be i'M so drukn
Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

People tend toward just wrapping them with electrical tape, but I've never found it necessary... Especially on the Mustang.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

If you do use a non-conductive tape just make sure there is contact somewhere or the bridge wont be grounded.
Personally i have never had these rocking problems on any 'Stangs, Jazzys or Jags i have owned, in fact the Jag trem is the most stable design besides a Floyd in my opinion.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Fran wrote:If you do use a non-conductive tape just make sure there is contact somewhere or the bridge wont be grounded.
Do the height grub scerws make contact? I think those will do it fine.
Shabba.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Grubs should contact the cups just fine for the height of most, donchathink?

When Mr. Ryu put together the Televersary, he had hoped to come up with a similar sleeve of sorts, suggesting that there would be some dispelling of sustain via the electrical tape I was to put in the cups. I'm sure it's undetectable to most of us, as my Jag with 'Stang bridge does fantastic with electrical tape filling the space...And even previously without the tape, I had little to complain about the trem rocking motion & tuning.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

James wrote:
Fran wrote:If you do use a non-conductive tape just make sure there is contact somewhere or the bridge wont be grounded.
Do the height grub scerws make contact? I think those will do it fine.
Usually yes. Although some people use teflon tape to secure the post height grub screws i'm sure there will be a point of contact somewhere.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I put rubber washers around the jag bridge poles and it didn't move
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i have never had a problem with it on my j.s. or any of my jaguars.
altho when i made my tele with the jag/jazz trem and bridge i opted for no cups, just the bridge straight into the body.
no rocking back and forth.
it wasn't that i didn't want the rocking motion, but it was just easier.