Best 30w or 50w amp?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

argylelewis

Best 30w or 50w amp?

Post by argylelewis »

Right so I've sold my amp and I'm now looking for a smaller 30w or 50w amp just for mucking around with at home. Which in your opinion is the best to consider? Bearing in mind I have a maximum £150 at the most.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Depends on what you are looking for in an amp, nice cleans/ handles pedals well/ reverb/ tubes?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The usual set of questions apply, really:

-What style of music do you play? What kind of sounds?
-If you use distortion/OD, does it come from a pedal or the amp?
- Do you need an FX loop?
- Do you want onboard FX, reverb?

I'd always recommend buying something secondhand because you'll generally get more for your money; be it in the shape of a familar brand or addition features that'd normally push the brand new price out of your range.

edit: DAMN YOUR EYES, JOHNO!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Also, do you want it to be valve or not?

If it's for bedroom use only and not gigging, then 30 watt tube is still pretty loud, a lot louder than you'll likely need in your bedroom.

If I were you, I'd look at a second hand Marshall AVT or similar. They are (for the most part) solid state, sound great, and will get great sounds at a range of volumes. It's unlikely that either a 30 or 50 watt one would be loud enough to gig with though, maybe the 50 would.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

i dont gig that's why I don't especially want a massive amp. I'm not goin to be able to get valve for that price I dont expect. Stuff I like to play would be things like Forward Russia, At The Drive-In, Sonic Youthy type stuff.. I prefer pedals so don't need on board FX but reverb would be nice. I looked at the Vox Valvetronix and the Orange Crush but I'm not entirely sure on either of them.
Johno

Post by Johno »

just get a Marshall Valvestate & be done. I always go 2nd with gear as much as poss, better value for money + green points.
Last edited by Johno on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'm not sure of the recent transformations of the Valvestate. I know there was the Valvestate, then the VS2000 (maybe), then AVT (which I have) then they all got a bit weird looking, but I think they were roughly the same amp and it was just cosmetic changes.

Doog: Didn't you just buy a Valvestate? Which one was it?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

VS100 for £156 on eBay, local pickup. Somewhat overpowered for home use (the volume dials are so touchy because of the amount of range on them), but a fine fine amp. The drive channels are pretty nice too, it's all about using the EQ well.

It's the reason these sort of amps often get a bad rep; the price dictates that they're often used by gigging newbs who haven't quite nailed how to dial an amp in properly. They're actually pretty warm sounding beasts if you keep the high end down.
Last edited by Doog on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Slightly out of your budget, but these are excellent. I know someone who used to gig with one of these, so as well as sounding great a low volumes, being stereo, it might be of some use at some point for gigs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-AVT-275- ... 996wt_1167
lorez

Post by lorez »

30-50 watts is pretty loud for home use. Have a scout around for a 2nd hand laney VC15, I have one and it is great sounding amp. I had a valvetronix and while it had an interesting range of sounds I just stuck it on one setting and stuck with it while using pedals for effects. Not tried the Orange Crush though so I can't comment.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

it may sound stupid but I can't actually stretch the extra £6. £150 is the maximum I'd have which is a bugger
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

There's a 50w Valvetronix on the bay for £150 buy it now but I was wondering if anyone here had one to know what to expect.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

argylelewis wrote:it may sound stupid but I can't actually stretch the extra £6. £150 is the maximum I'd have which is a bugger
The point being made that I picked up a used 100w Marshall Valvestate for that price, so you'd be able to get a smaller home amp for a fair bit less.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Ah right. Sorry I thought you meant there is one now on there for that price. I'll look into them then and see what we can fund
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

The Laney VC15 looks really nice on google. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work and ebays filtered so can't find a price but they sure look good.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Roland Cube 60 & Marshall MG100DFX both £150 for sale in your area, Gloucester...

http://gloucester.gumtree.com/gloucester/19606_1.html
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Going on completed Ebay listings, they go for £200 or so used, although one went for £160 pickup only.

I'd personally say a modelling amp is the way to go for messing about at home; they're ideal for when you want a variety of half decent sounds but can't be bothered setting up pedals and stuff. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I love my Zoom Fire 15.
Last edited by Doog on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
lorez

Post by lorez »

argylelewis wrote:The Laney VC15 looks really nice on google. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work and ebays filtered so can't find a price but they sure look good.
there is a limited edition Old English White one on there at the moment at £155 with a day left. You might be able to get closer to your budget with one of the normal ones.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
chisa

Post by chisa »

i had a vox ad50vt and it was great for bedroom playing
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

The problem is the MG100 will be too big really for what I'm looking at getting and the effects just won't get used. The music shops by myself (The Soundhouse) don't really offer all that much though so it may need to be a trip to Bristol this weekend