EHX The Worm (now with demo)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

blacktaxi

EHX The Worm (now with demo)

Post by blacktaxi »

[youtube][/youtube]
does anybody have any experience with this pedal?

i'm particularly interested in using it with expression pedal - would that sound as a wah good enough? and does the new version have expression input anyway?

played with the old version at a shop some months earlier, the trem and vib modes kick ass, the phaser sounds much like small stone in color-off mode, but somewhat different. still nice, awesome pedal.
Last edited by blacktaxi on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
i like chocolate, i like fudge
if i can't make any, i won't budge
benecol

Post by benecol »

Caution Mr Taxi; I've heard plenty of griping about these: noisy, and not in a good way.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

benecol wrote:Caution Mr Taxi; I've heard plenty of griping about these: noisy, and not in a good way.
true, the old one has the noise, i could hear it myself, especially in tremolo mode. that's what stopped me from buying it, aside from it's enormous size of course. but the videos on the tube suggest that the new one isn't as noisy, or maybe even as good as any other pedal.

i was thinking, it would've been kinda cool to hook it up with expression pedal and use it as a wah but in phaser mode. i wonder how would that sound.
Johno

Post by Johno »

I had one years ago, sold it to someone on JS.com , is without doubt most dissapointing pedal i ever owned. The effects were sooo subtle if it wasn't for the led you'd never have known it was switched on.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

I've heard here and there that the new version is less noisy. Haven't tried it to see for myself.

The Worm is the only pedal I've ever tried that I would consider truly unusable. The noise, especially is the trem setting, was the worst I've ever heard from anything short of a broken Gibson Reverb unit. The sweep of the phaser seemed off - like the wave wasn't right. The vibrato is just the phaser 100% wet - very unconvincing and not a true pitch vibrato. The wah was OK.

I'd get individual pedals or a digital multi-effect. Both would be substantially better.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I have got the new one. I love it. The old ones make lots of noise. Check out this video I got the gearmandude to do for me when I was trying to decide if I wanted the old one or new one.. I bought the new one after I saw it. The new one is very quiet. I love the auto wah and phaser. I have other tremolo and vibrato pedals so I never use them on the The Worm.

[youtube][/youtube]
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

taylornutt wrote:I have got the new one. I love it. The old ones make lots of noise. Check out this video I got the gearmandude to do for me when I was trying to decide if I wanted the old one or new one.. I bought the new one after I saw it. The new one is very quiet. I love the auto wah and phaser. I have other tremolo and vibrato pedals so I never use them on the The Worm.

[youtube][/youtube]
yeah seen that vid!

so does the new one have expression pedal input?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Yes, it does have the expression pedal input. I have never used it, I just sweep with the knob.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

taylornutt wrote:Yes, it does have the expression pedal input. I have never used it, I just sweep with the knob.
awesome! thanks for the info!
Rayjaysonic

Post by Rayjaysonic »

Get one of the new ones. I have one of the huge old ones, I love it but it makes a f***ing racket and takes up a load of space. New ones are supposed to be way more quiet.
Don't look at me I'm irrelevant!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Rayjaysonic wrote:Get one of the new ones. I have one of the huge old ones, I love it but it makes a f***ing racket and takes up a load of space. New ones are supposed to be way more quiet.
+1. That's pretty much the situation. I love the smaller footprint. I have a Polychorus that takes up a lot of pedalboard space. I wish they would make it smaller like they have done with some the other large pedals. The big pedals have lots of mojo for sure.
1,2,3, Pull Out!

Post by 1,2,3, Pull Out! »

I've tried one. Pretty cool but nothing I would ever use.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

forgot to report.

got my worm few weeks ago. so far i really like it, and should probably do a demo. sounds really good with exp pedal in wah mode. love the vibrato. tremolo sounds a bit like phaser (?), and i suppose they have something like treble bleed there, so at low depth it gets kinda hissy, still very good.

awesome pedal.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Johno wrote:I had one years ago, sold it to someone on JS.com , is without doubt most dissapointing pedal i ever owned. The effects were sooo subtle if it wasn't for the led you'd never have known it was switched on.
You sold it to me and I sold it about a week later. It's pretty shite.
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

Been havin' it for over a month now.

Did some demo. Fast forward to about 8th minute for exp. pedal usage. The Worm can be used as a wah-wah with exp pedal. Sounds funny with phaser + exp. pedal, pretty useless in vib & trem modes with exp. pedal.

Here it is:
[youtube][/youtube]
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Great video, mate- some really nice playing and good demonstration of the tonez.

Odd that the tremolo sounds far closer to a Leslie sim, but it's nice all the same. Still a bit of a shame though; the vibrato was making me consider swapping my Pulsar for one of these until I heard the trem.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

super good dude. love your playing style
dots wrote:incesticide
blacktaxi

Post by blacktaxi »

Thanks dudes, glad you liked it.

Yeah, the trem is kinda odd... I thought it would act like a volume controller with expression pedal hooked up, but yeah, some kind of leslie sim is a good description.
Vis

Post by Vis »

I think that's the most musical auto wah I've ever heard.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I loved the Auto Wah when i had one, to me it is what Auto Wah should sound like ie. not an Envelope Filter. Soon sold the pedal though, it seemed to struggle in the live enviroment but a handy thing to have for recording purposes.
Sweet playing blacktaxi :wink: