squier bronco bass to musicmaster conversion

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

UPDATE:

i can haz string-thru?

► Show Spoiler
i feel like taylornutt saying this, but:

all i have left is to wire it up. anything special i'll need to bear in mind when wiring a hot rail straight to a volume pot? caps? resistors? leds? etc.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

should be fine
it'll be nice and loud for ya
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Shouldn't be any problems yea. I have a hotrail in my Bronco bass. The only recommendation I would make is to not have it tooo close to the strings. I had mine pretty close, and when I would hit my low E, it would come into contact with the rails and it was just nasty. Cheers and good luck!
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

thanks y'all. i hope to have it wired up this weekendish.

any guide on what kind of strangz to use?
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Heavier than you would normally use, I've got a 50-105, and the E feels a bit floppy to me, but its all preference. I like my strings to have a really taught feel to them, so maybe I'm just picky :roll:
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I love D'addario and DR 45-105 strings for bass. Those are my two favorite brands that I've used. Stay away from Ernie Ball strings. I used to break bass strings constantly when I used them, they lost their tone and sounded dead after only a couple hours, and they would rust up, and collect dust, sweat and anything that comes in to contact with them and get all grimy real easily. Since switching to D'addario and DR strings I never break strings, and I usually only change them after about 2 months of steady gigging and regular practicing. I've also heard from quite a few other bassists that GHS bass boomers are great, I didn't like GHS boomers for guitar so I always steered clear of them, but in the last couple months at least 3 or 4 bassists from other bands' I've played shows with have told me they like them.

Oh and also, the shop I bought my Rickenbacker from, when they set it up for me, they put a set of THESE Smith strings on there for me and I really like the way they feel and sound so far, although I haven't had the bass long enough to speak about how long they keep their tone or how well they hold up after lots of shows and practice. But my initial feeling towards them is that they feel easier on my fingers than any other roundwound bass strings that I've played.

This bass is looking real nice by the way dude! Great job!
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

That looks nice. I prefer EMG or Lace for these basses, I never liked the look of rails pickups.

(But it's about the sound, not about the looks!)

((But since we're in this thread, I feel like I can make a shallow remark like that.))

And what's wrong with just good old 40-50-75-90 Fender strings?
tomin8r

Post by tomin8r »

Shorter scale, rubbery feeling strings.

Its all in the tension, and its also personal preference.

Cheers
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

tomin8r wrote:Shorter scale, rubbery feeling strings.

Its all in the tension, and its also personal preference.

Cheers
This. I just hate floppy, lighter guage bass strings. 45-105 is regular guage, so I wouldn't go any lower than that for personal preference, especially for a short scale bass.
astrozombie

Post by astrozombie »

man is this bass done or what?
Shaguar

Post by Shaguar »

Dont rush perfection dood.
No.