BANJO!

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

BANJO!

Post by gaybear »

i think i posted some about this. or maybe not.

regardless, here's the lil tale

I got a banjo from craigslist for 5 bucks. or maybe it was 15. anyhoo, it was dirt cheap, and the seller got a bunch of offers, but out of some sort of sense of honor
gave it to me, as the first respondant, for the listed price.

made the mistake of bringing it to a lil shop i wanted to succeed for some repairs. They did give me some good info (i guess it's 100+ years old catalog (but decent) and needed just a few repairs). the mistake was that this shop took 2.5 months to tell me, well, nothing. I called to cancel the repairs, and they said they were just starting them. i said, no. their quote was about 80 bucks in repair plus parts, but they'd gotten the price up without doing any work already, and i think it would have been 200 bucks. egads.

took it away from them (paid only for parts) which brought my investment up to 30 bucks total.

brought it to my friend's shop (to whom i should have brought it originally) and he did the whole thing for another 20 bucks.

anyhoo, i have a really cheap banjo that i am totally in love with.
i wish i would have found one when i was younger, because the more i play it, the more it feels like my natural instrument.
will post pics manana, and maybe someone can ID it for me. i'm thinking SEARS or something.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Dude! That's awesome! I just got a banjo about a month ago too and I love it! I know what you mean about wishing you started younger. I've taken to it really well, and I can definitely see it becoming one of my main instruments!
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I've been toying with the idea of getting a banjo for a couple of years but keep talking myself out of it, but then I remember what my signature says and want one again...
XY
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Banjos are great :)
The guitar/vocal/frontguy in my band recently acquired one and we've been using it in acoustic sets. It's pretty sweet.

I've been wanting one for years. I often pick them up in music stores and give them a pluck... they're so satisfying!
One of these days...
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

5 string right?
everything is not going to be alright
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I've preferred the 4 string... cause it's tuned the same as my ukulele so the chords are the same
XY
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

mine's 5 string, though i really don't know how to utilize the droning g yet.
ploppy

Post by ploppy »

Banjo's are great!
Not brilliant at it - can string a few chords together but i love mine.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Banj-NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I recorded a bluegrass album for an elderly bluegrass band once. Now banjo is the soundtrack to all my nightmares.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Banjos are so haunting. I have an old Kay I forget to play, but don't plan on getting rid of it. In the 19th century banjos held the status we give to the electric guitar because they were loud and portable. There are probably plenty of old ones around.

What's the standard tuning? I was tempted to use mandolin tuning or lower guitar tuning so I wouldn't have to learn yet another. But I love the voicing on a mandolin. I am a firm believer that new patterns lead to rethinking old patterns. There are chord combinations I have found on the mandolin that wouldn't have occurred to me on the guitar. You get used to something and stop seeing it fresh.
Yell Like Hell
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

DGNR8 wrote:Banjos are so haunting. I have an old Kay I forget to play, but don't plan on getting rid of it. In the 19th century banjos held the status we give to the electric guitar because they were loud and portable. There are probably plenty of old ones around.

What's the standard tuning? I was tempted to use mandolin tuning or lower guitar tuning so I wouldn't have to learn yet another. But I love the voicing on a mandolin. I am a firm believer that new patterns lead to rethinking old patterns. There are chord combinations I have found on the mandolin that wouldn't have occurred to me on the guitar. You get used to something and stop seeing it fresh.
The tuning on a 5 string banjo is GDGBD.
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

aen wrote: Now banjo is the soundtrack to all my nightmares.
Lol'd IRL
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I find banjo so weird to play because you have 4 strings in your left had and 5 in your right, (unless you move your hand down obviously) I'm a finger picker (sort of) on guitar anyway so if I haven't played banjo in awhile this fucks me up all the time. If I'm not playing banjo regularly my skills fade so quickly.
obscure pop culture reference
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

Stuart wrote:I find banjo so weird to play because you have 4 strings in your left had and 5 in your right, (unless you move your hand down obviously) I'm a finger picker (sort of) on guitar anyway so if I haven't played banjo in awhile this fucks me up all the time. If I'm not playing banjo regularly my skills fade so quickly.
This is what has thrown me off about playing banjo... it's like it fucks with my depth perception.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

My wife has one of those Dean six string banjos that use standard guitar tuning. Cheap and easy way to get that twang without learning new finger positions.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Billy3000 wrote:
Stuart wrote:I find banjo so weird to play because you have 4 strings in your left had and 5 in your right, (unless you move your hand down obviously) I'm a finger picker (sort of) on guitar anyway so if I haven't played banjo in awhile this fucks me up all the time. If I'm not playing banjo regularly my skills fade so quickly.
This is what has thrown me off about playing banjo... it's like it fucks with my depth perception.
this is why I want a tenor banjo 4 strings all the way...
XY
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

sorry no pics yet.

been doing some online lessons here: http://www.littlerockbanjo.com/

it's really helping learn to use that 5th string which is opening up all sortsa stuff.
i think i should get a 5th string capo for more keys
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

oh, and as far as depth perception, etc, i think it's easier just to not look at it. it's a small instrument, so trust your hand's muscle memory. kind of like drumming.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I agree.. most of what I've been playing so far has been behind the fifth fret anyway, except for the modest mouse song "bukowski" and the avett bros song "paranoia in B flat major" With those songs I seem to not have problems with depth perception as far as the fifth string goes. It's mostly just with the exercises in the book I'm learning basic banjo techniques out of that I have problems with the depth perception. So far in the book it's stuck to G C D7 chords and different roll patterns within those chord shapes. I've gotten much better and the depth perception hasn't been as much of a problem as I've gotten more used to it. It was just really weird at first, and sometimes now on busy weeks, where I don't get to practice the banjo until the weekend. If I got about a week just playing guitar and bass while teaching lessons and band practice that is when I notice I have to re-adjust to the fifth string depth perception as far as my right hand goes. After a few minutes of practice I get used to it again though.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

i can totally see that, and i'm probably making myself sound better than i really am