les paul type guitar

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

folks might hate me for saying, but ESP makes some decent LP type guitars. They even make some of 'em without EMGs and with Seymore Duncans.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

damienblair17 wrote:folks might hate me for saying, but ESP makes some decent LP type guitars. They even make some of 'em without EMGs and with Seymore Duncans.
never played one, but they can be had very reasonably for the pu's in such

ESP LTD LP DEAL
lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

SGJarrod wrote:
damienblair17 wrote:folks might hate me for saying, but ESP makes some decent LP type guitars. They even make some of 'em without EMGs and with Seymore Duncans.
never played one, but they can be had very reasonably for the pu's in such

ESP LTD LP DEAL
do it. $375? DO IT.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

This thread is making me lust after the only 'fanboi' purchase i would ever make - a Peter Green style Les Paul. oooh so little money for such indulgences :(
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

I came really close to getting either an old Yamaha SL-550 or Greco LP, and would really like to mess about with them or a proper Tokai someday. Dreams aside, I was impressed with the Chinese Burnys that are sold over here. As someone mentioned, the electronics and pickups probably will need a switchout, but the ones I've been around seemed to have their construction and finish well sorted out to make a good starter. Pastel green and blue were other pluses!

For a while I'd also been tempted by nicely beaten cherry sunburst SG800s and the like selling on the cheap over here all the time, but the color and "Santana-endorsed" weight most of them carry have been a slight turnoff.

When my present gig job pointed me towards playing a humbucker'd guitar, I decided to go for comparatively lighter Yamaha reissue SG, though certainly not inexpensive. Still, it's structurally and tonally more LP than SG, and the push-pull coil splits give some great single coil tones that are far from unusable. It's the un-Les Paul I chose to get Les Paul toanz, and love it to death. Would recommend one, recommend even more looking for an older one to test drive to see what all of the hype is about, despite the funky looks.

Someone on the stage staff took this goofy shot of me "pretentiously enjoying myself" during our rehearsal last night.

Midway we switched out the above Vox AC30CC, which hates the 7-string Epi in the ugliest way...I've got a Super Reverb now and a huge smile on my face.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Dave wrote:This thread is making me lust after the only 'fanboi' purchase i would ever make - a Peter Green style Les Paul. oooh so little money for such indulgences :(
Wow,I didn't think that anyone on shortscale even liked Les Pauls.

westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

ultratwin wrote:I came really close to getting either an old Yamaha SL-550 or Greco LP, and would really like to mess about with them or a proper Tokai someday. Dreams aside, I was impressed with the Chinese Burnys that are sold over here. As someone mentioned, the electronics and pickups probably will need a switchout, but the ones I've been around seemed to have their construction and finish well sorted out to make a good starter. Pastel green and blue were other pluses!

For a while I'd also been tempted by nicely beaten cherry sunburst SG800s and the like selling on the cheap over here all the time, but the color and "Santana-endorsed" weight most of them carry have been a slight turnoff.

When my present gig job pointed me towards playing a humbucker'd guitar, I decided to go for comparatively lighter Yamaha reissue SG, though certainly not inexpensive. Still, it's structurally and tonally more LP than SG, and the push-pull coil splits give some great single coil tones that are far from unusable. It's the un-Les Paul I chose to get Les Paul toanz, and love it to death. Would recommend one, recommend even more looking for an older one to test drive to see what all of the hype is about, despite the funky looks.

Someone on the stage staff took this goofy shot of me "pretentiously enjoying myself" during our rehearsal last night.

Midway we switched out the above Vox AC30CC, which hates the 7-string Epi in the ugliest way...I've got a Super Reverb now and a huge smile on my face.
Haha,cool pics.I like those Yamaha SGsMy guitar teacher has one.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

I like most les pauls that aren't flame tops and/or bursts.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

westtexasred wrote: Wow,I didn't think that anyone on shortscale even liked Les Pauls.

haha, i like em, and i'm pretty sure jcyphe and steverpirates like em.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Mages wrote:I like most les pauls that aren't flame tops and/or bursts.
I like cherry burst, that's the only burst I like from Gibson. I hate flame tops and figured wood in general. I also dislike gold tops.

Now, blue, black, white, red, I love them all.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

westtexasred wrote: Wow,I didn't think that anyone on shortscale even liked Les Pauls.
I have one and in the only color burst I like. I love the tone of my Les Paul. Its just the weight and neck that sometimes bothers me about them and thats cause I was used to light and skinny fenders for the longest time.

Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

honeyiscool wrote:
Mages wrote:I like most les pauls that aren't flame tops and/or bursts.
I like cherry burst, that's the only burst I like from Gibson. I hate flame tops and figured wood in general. I also dislike gold tops.

Now, blue, black, white, red, I love them all.
yeah, plain top bursts are most definitely superior to flame top bursts however still not really my thing.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

ultratwin wrote:Image
That yamaha is so nice, I regret not getting one when I had the chance :(
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

westtexasred wrote:
Dave wrote:This thread is making me lust after the only 'fanboi' purchase i would ever make - a Peter Green style Les Paul. oooh so little money for such indulgences :(
Wow,I didn't think that anyone on shortscale even liked Les Pauls.

They are not my favourite although i'm not against them but I would love to own, in a future where i can afford a 'collection', to have a nice gold top with cream p90s and a bloody accurate replica of Peter Greens guitar! FUCK I'M REALLY WANTING A LES PAUL NOW YOU FUCKERS. FUCKING FUCK FUCK.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

I fuckin' love 'em
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

LPs are the only solidbody electrics that I get.

I wish I still had one for occasional moments of riffery.
everything is not going to be alright
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Dave wrote: They are not my favourite although i'm not against them but I would love to own, in a future where i can afford a 'collection', to have a nice gold top with cream p90s and a bloody accurate replica of Peter Greens guitar! FUCK I'M REALLY WANTING A LES PAUL NOW YOU FUCKERS. FUCKING FUCK FUCK.

Hahah, Shortscalers' true colors shining through in spades! Though I'd do just fine without all of the figuring in the maple top, a faded Peter Green LP is definitely one of those well-worn pairs of jeans kinda thing that look so perfect.

I've personally got a thing for plain tops, the plainer the better. The prospect of one acquiring a delightfully boring Tokai LS92 would seem to fit the bill, provided you could devote a good decade of playing, beer sweat, and smoke to age the thing. Prolly will never get one, but I love to look at them

Jangle alert! Years ago I wondered why Johnny Marr played an old LP so much on The Smiths' records. Took me a while to realize good one has all teh toanz and then some.

[youtube][/youtube]
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

I want this one

Last edited by westtexasred on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

ultratwin wrote:For a while I'd also been tempted by nicely beaten cherry sunburst SG800s and the like selling on the cheap over here all the time, but the color and "Santana-endorsed" weight most of them carry have been a slight turnoff.

Nice one Ultra. I love Yamaha SG's, had three on different occasions but always ended up selling them during difficult times. Mine were all old MIJ 200 models, no binding or inlays but awesome guitars.

I'd personally put an old Ibanez Artist up against a Les Paul anyday...
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Speaking of Les Pauls, here's a guy on my local craigslist selling this shiny beast. Kinda want. 1 of 400 in Fire Engine Red.

ImageImage
ImageImage