i'm thinking of taking the plunge

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Progrockabuse

i'm thinking of taking the plunge

Post by Progrockabuse »

i love my strat to bits and will shortly be the proud owner of a duo sonic again, but i have the biggest craving ever for a gibson 335.

i have a westfield 335 which i love alot but after playing my mates es335, i cant get enough of it. any other shortscalers got a veiw on this? the main downside is that a 335 is stupidly exspensive, i think i've seen them locally for £1,899, which is way too much at the moment.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

They are a tad pricey for the real deal but they are killer guitars. That IS serious coin though, you may want to sleep on it for a while, and play a ton of them til you find one you can't part with.
Chorlton

Post by Chorlton »

yeah id love a mint 335 but just cant justify the price. As a matter of prinicipal, i wouldnt want to pay much more than £500 for any axe
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i am going to get some crap for saying this but the gibby 335s are over priced, even when they are on sale, for the cheapest ever, they are still overpriced.
the main reason i said that is becuz of the laminent wood they use to construct the peice with.
you are better off getting a nice epihpone, its the same damn guitar but without the name and 1000 less.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

the type of 335 in question is similar to the one bernard bulter had in his suede days, which is really a 355, but fuck me if i'm gonna pay shitloads for one.

i've seen an epiphone jorma kaukonen rivera, which to me, just looks like a 335. but it's discontined

it's my birthday soon, i'm going to london and want to go guitar shopping, trying to get ideas.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

robert(original) wrote:i am going to get some crap for saying this but the gibby 335s are over priced, even when they are on sale, for the cheapest ever, they are still overpriced.
the main reason i said that is becuz of the laminent wood they use to construct the peice with.
you are better off getting a nice epihpone, its the same damn guitar but without the name and 1000 less.
Its always been a laminate though I'm sure Robert.

There have been special solid top versions and the sexy smaller body CS335.
euan
Zeezee

Post by Zeezee »

Yeah, i'd go with a decent playing Epiphone.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I would never even entertain spending that much on a guitar. If you're going to do it play a lot of them and get one that is perfect (it had better be for that money), since Gibson quality control is a mess these days.
benecol

Post by benecol »

This is why Edwards and Tokais were invented - Ishibashi is your friend.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Was watching this earlier. I love love love the guitar sonds in this clip.

[youtube][/youtube]
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Been thinking seriously about a quality semi for a while. Old 345 with varitone appeals for some reason. Do these have a center block? Might not need it if fixes to my red Viking sort the thing out. But anyway, if you've only got one or two guitars, or are getting a main guitar you're planning to keep forever, I don't think £1500 is too much.
Chorlton

Post by Chorlton »

ive gotten an Ibanez artcore as my semi. There's a few things i will change when i can be arsed but it really is outstanding for its price point. Certainly scratched my itch for a semi.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

timhulio wrote:Was watching this earlier. I love love love the guitar sonds in this clip.

[youtube][/youtube]
that is the very guitar and guitar sound i was after. i just love the 355/345. did tokai ever make a version of a 345/355, i know they make really good 335 copies.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I could watch that clip over and over - soooooooo good. BB's sound is just amazing. AC30TB + 345/355 for most of it, Rat for the fuzz, Holy Grail or similar for the solo reverb... but most importantly, the feeeeeeeel....

Fanboyisms over, can you not get Varitone kits?
my signature goes here
TheBurbz

Post by TheBurbz »

I love the Suede guitar sound, you can always tell it's them.
Are you a Wizard?
Ninja Mike 808

Post by Ninja Mike 808 »

Money is a bitch.

On the other hand, when it comes down to it, if you have your eye on somethin' then you should jus get it and not settle for second best. Whether you dig the Gibson because of the name, or if there actually is a difference between them and the knocks, jus do it. I would definitely play ever hollow at every guitar shop I could find before I make my mind up. I mean, it's easy to fall in love with a person's sound on a guitar, but you might not get the sound you want at home...
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

b-stock epi dot for $330 on MF. not anywhere close to the same level of quality as the 335. but still that is an amazing deal.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I could never spend that sort of money.

Although, at the same time, if you're going to put yourself out a serious, serious amount of money (>600 quid, say) then there's no point having something you're not going to be happy with, so you may as well fuck cost, because you're already screwed on that front.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

i thinking maybe getting a epiphone 335 and making it into a 345 like bernards, but will i be able to create that same vibe as an actual 345/335/355?

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
suede

Post by suede »

timhulio wrote:Was watching this earlier. I love love love the guitar sonds in this clip.

[youtube][/youtube]
fuck yeah SUEDE!!!
I'll see you in hell with the rest of the trash