Tone of 24" scale vs. 24 3/4 vs. 25 1/2 ?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dynac0mp

Tone of 24" scale vs. 24 3/4 vs. 25 1/2 ?

Post by dynac0mp »

Hey everybody!

I'm new to the forum and pleased to find a place discussing exact topic that was on my mind today. One day I randomly picked up a Squire Classic Vibe Duo Sonic and was really enjoying playing it... not really thinking much into it. Now I'm a tad fed up with the Fender/Gibson duality and was reflecting on the fact that Bryan May played his home-made 24 scale guitar his whole career. I've owned many guitars and am starting to wonder if I've been barking up the wrong tree? Anyway... I digress.

Here's my question to the short scale gurus:

I think many of us will agree that differing scale lengths offer differing tonal characteristics (aside from the ergonomic differences).

So if 25 1/2 scale offers treble, twang and pop... the 24 3/4 scale, round, chunky, mellow....

...what of the 24 scale?
The time is now.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Tone of 24" scale vs. 24 3/4 vs. 25 1/2 ?

Post by Bacchus »

An interesting question, but:
dynac0mp wrote:So if 25 1/2 scale offers treble, twang and pop... the 24 3/4 scale, round, chunky, mellow....
Might this perhaps have as much to do with the pickups, hardware and woods that are usually found of 25.5" guitars compared to 24.75"? Those scale lengths are kind of typical of a certain two companies who have other certain typical traits.

Personally, I think shorter scales have a slightly darker sound, and kind of plinky. That's a crap description, sorry.

I'm interested in what other people have to say on this.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I find the tone largely unaffected by the scale. I notice things like quality of pickups and the kind of pickups but if you were to do a sound test with a Tele deluxe and a cyclone same amp, same strings, same pickups,etc, etc. I don't think there would be any difference. At least, not noticeable.

The shorter scale is all about how the guitar feels, imo.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
dynac0mp

Post by dynac0mp »

I won't disagree about all the other elements that factor into tone, however, I'm of the general view that you start with a scale length and then use elements, materials, electronics that combine to a net effect.

For example, I have a LP Junior-ish Hamer with P90's. It's got great twang from the P90's and relatively thin body, however, it's sonic signature is more crunch than twang. On the other hand, I owned a Reverend 25 1/2 scale with humbuckers that seemed to reduce some of the inherent spank, or twang of that scale.

And of course, when listening to recordings, it is not often evident what's actually being played, but my question is more from a players' feel point of view.
The time is now.
dynac0mp

Post by dynac0mp »

portugalwillie wrote:I find the tone largely unaffected by the scale. I notice things like quality of pickups and the kind of pickups but if you were to do a sound test with a Tele deluxe and a cyclone same amp, same strings, same pickups,etc, etc. I don't think there would be any difference. At least, not noticeable.

The shorter scale is all about how the guitar feels, imo.
Excellent point. I found myself playing that Duo Sonic way longer than I thought I would, and it was *very* comfortable to play. This will certainly effect performance, and inspiration.
The time is now.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

dynac0mp wrote:I'm of the general view that you start with a scale length and then use elements, materials, electronics that combine to a net effect.
I guess this is where are ideas differ a bit. I don't know what the designers of guitars were thinking but I don't think they build around the scale of the guitar. Obviously, I could be dead wrong. It is true though that short scale Fenders all have their own tone. Traditionally, Fender shortscales are going to be single coil. There are newer exceptions with the Jag but that it the only one I can think of. They all do there own thing and are good for a variety of sounds.
twitter.com/skcwillie

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Personally i dont think it makes any tonal difference, i've had Mustangs that sound like Strats.... i had a 25.5 BC Rich that was very dark sounding...
Could be wrong though. Interesting concept.
Welcome to the forum.
Haze

Post by Haze »

The longer scale length means that it will take more string tension to produce a particular note. More string tension can produce more "snap" and "twang" and generally a brighter sound. Everythin else really comes down to materials and construction. One guitar I've been wanting to try out is a new Gibson Les Paul Jr. The current production model is a 24" scale with a single p90 in the bridge and a nice chunky neck. Great looks too. Sounds perfect for rocking if you ask me.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

The string tension also is going to change depending on what kind of tail piece and size of strings.
twitter.com/skcwillie

stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

i can't say i've noticed a difference that isn't down to pickups. to be honest, i don't really notice that much difference in feel either.
DGW

Re: Tone of 24" scale vs. 24 3/4 vs. 25 1/2 ?

Post by DGW »

BacchusPaul wrote:An interesting question, but:
dynac0mp wrote:So if 25 1/2 scale offers treble, twang an
Might this perhaps have as much to do with the pickups, hardware and woods that are usually found of 25.5" guitars compared to 24.75"? Those scale lengths are kind of typical of a certain two companies who have other certain typical traits.

Personally, I think shorter scales have a slightly darker sound, and kind of plinky. That's a crap description, sorry.

I'm interested in what other people have to say on this.
24 scale guitars have a slightly warmer tone but its not a very noticable difference..Last weekend i sat in with my friends blues band for 4 songs..1 guitarist had a Les Paul and my buddie with his 50th annivesary strat and my 24 short scale...Bottom line is we all had great tone...Everything will effect the tone....I have 2 guitars,,,same pickups strings ect....1 has lacqer finish neck 1 has a Tru-oil gunstock finish like the EBMM...There is a Slight Difference in the tone of thoes 2 guitars but not by much..I wouldnt overthink it...Just plug 1 in.
Durango Guitar Works 24" Short Scale Guitar
http://durangoguitarworks.com/
DGW

Post by DGW »

dynac0mp wrote:I won't disagree about all the other elements that factor into tone, however, I'm of the general view that you start with a scale length and then use elements, materials, electronics that combine to a net effect.

For example, I have a LP Junior-ish Hamer with P90's. It's got great twang from the P90's and relatively thin body, however, it's sonic signature is more crunch than twang. On the other hand, I owned a Reverend 25 1/2 scale with humbuckers that seemed to reduce some of the inherent spank, or twang of that scale.

And of course, when listening to recordings, it is not often evident what's actually being played, but my question is more from a players' feel point of view.
If you have been playing a 25.5 scale guitar all your life then 1 day decide to play a 24",, you will notice a difference but give it a chance. you will find you have more controll over your bends,,,hammer ons & pulloffs <shorter distance fret spacing>,,,,,Remember you can always swap out pickups to fit your needs...But I would go to a music store and play one...Lots of big names play short scales...
Durango Guitar Works 24" Short Scale Guitar
http://durangoguitarworks.com/
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

the tone is definitely effected by the scale. it is an effect created by the difference in string tension on the various scales.

shorter scale = lower tension = deeper tone. if you tune the same size string to the same pitch on a long scale and a short scale, the short scale will be less tension. the short scale will be appoximately the same tone (but not pitch) as if you tuned the long scale about a half step down.

the low tension can be counteracted with thicker strings but that will obviously change the tone as well. this is one of the main reasons gibsons and fenders sound different even when they have the same pickups and strings.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
Reece

Post by Reece »

Lots of people will be familiar with mustangs and jaguars as shortscales. Both of those tend to have a kinda plunky sound as a result of the bridges and some other stuff.

By the time that guitar sound gets to someone's ears through a record or through an amp at a gig the tone of the scale length (hahahaha) makes as much difference as a drop in the ocean.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Water off a duck's ass
johnniespring

Post by johnniespring »

put a capo on your guitar. it shortens the scale. does the tone change?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

johnniespring wrote:put a capo on your guitar. it shortens the scale. does the tone change?
I happen to think it does. Also changes when you fret chords and notes. I'd argue that each note played on each string has a different tone.
Mages
súper crujiente

Post by Mages »

Nick wrote:
johnniespring wrote:put a capo on your guitar. it shortens the scale. does the tone change?
I happen to think it does. Also changes when you fret chords and notes. I'd argue that each note played on each string has a different tone.
+1 you can play the exact some note or pitch on many places on the guitar but they all sound different.
cogito ergo sum...thing or other...
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

so it's settled then. everything effects tone, and whoever cares about tone should just fuck off and go buy a les paul, a strat, a marshall, and a silverface.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
eurotrashed

Post by eurotrashed »

Its blind to think that scale length does not affect tone. I really don't want to get in the physics of wavelengths and the length of of an object... there is definitely a difference.

A Jaguar with Jazzmaster pickups does not sound like a Jazzmaster.