I wanna get a "parlor" guitar

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

I wanna get a "parlor" guitar

Post by westtexasred »

Maybe a La Patrie Motif

Like Jemaine's

I got an old one at a tag sale about 6 years ago for $10 but I sold for $50 because it needed a neck reset.

I wouldn't mind having a Harmony like Daniel Johnston's if I found one cheap. Anybody know what model his guitar is?

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

They made so many of these back in the day, that's why you still see so many kicking around for cheap.
MISSINGNO.

Post by MISSINGNO. »

Yeah, I've got a friend that picked up one of those for less than $9 USD.

I'm pretty jealous.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Look at Republic Resonators, too. They're a new company, but a shop by me just became a dealer. They needed to be set up still, but they were still nice.

http://www.republicguitars.com/rp1parlorguitar.html

westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

Will wrote:Look at Republic Resonators, too. They're a new company, but a shop by me just became a dealer. They needed to be set up still, but they were still nice.
Wow,that looks cool! I love the body shape. Like a real turn of the century parlor guitar.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by westtexasred on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MISSINGNO.

Post by MISSINGNO. »

Those prices are sure friendly, too. I even like the hand painted ones.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'm a big fan of parlours and other small bodied acoustics, I'm not a big guy and have always found them so much easier to play - coming from a mainly electric background.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Will wrote:Look at Republic Resonators, too.
:shock:

SNAP

Do want
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've tried a second-hand Yairi parlor (I think the model was called Rag 65) in Tokyo a few months ago. Sounded and felt really great even though I usually dislike most steel-strung (vs. nylon) acoustics. I kind of regret not having bought it ...
MISSINGNO.

Post by MISSINGNO. »

Marc wrote:I've tried a second-hand Yairi parlor (I think the model was called Rag 65) in Tokyo a few months ago. Sounded and felt really great even though I usually dislike most steel-strung (vs. nylon) acoustics. I kind of regret not having bought it ...
I'd definitely regret that too. How much were they asking for it?
Marc

Post by Marc »

As far as I remember, something like 400 or 500 euros. They had one new at almost twice that price.
BartMan

Post by BartMan »

I'm also looking into parlor guitars. I'm quite interested in this one by Aria. Very cool slotted headstock. At $299, it ain't bad at all.

Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Slotted headstock is cool. You gotta try them, though - sometimes the tuning is wonky because of all the down-pressure on the nut.
CaptainGD

Post by CaptainGD »

I've been interested in acquiring a small bodied acoustic, as well. I have no experience, but I remember somebody recommending these here, they look pretty nice:

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/ami.htm

Last edited by CaptainGD on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BartMan

Post by BartMan »

Will wrote:Slotted headstock is cool. You gotta try them, though - sometimes the tuning is wonky because of all the down-pressure on the nut.
That's true. Republic's parlor is nice. I've tried one and it played nicely.
George

Post by George »

Dunno if this thread is still going but I was gonna bid on this home made guitar on ebay but I had guests over for a bbq and forgot. For the price I was thinking even if it's shit it would make a nice ornament hanging up somewhere round the house.

Who knows, it may actually be a good guitar. Pretty gutted actually; will probably never see anything like it again.

I often hear Larrive parlours are amazing although quite pricey - I've yet to try one.
billy budapest

Post by billy budapest »

I was lucky enough to come across this rather uncommon 1970 Guild F-20 on Craigslist. It had some cracks in the back, but I've had it all fixed up and now it's a constant companion in the office!

ImageImageImage
bb
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

GeorgeF wrote:Dunno if this thread is still going but I was gonna bid on this home made guitar on ebay but I had guests over for a bbq and forgot. For the price I was thinking even if it's shit it would make a nice ornament hanging up somewhere round the house.
E-Snipe is your friend.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

billy budapest wrote:I was lucky enough to come across this rather uncommon 1970 Guild F-20 on Craigslist. It had some cracks in the back, but I've had it all fixed up and now it's a constant companion in the office!

ImageImageImage
bb
That is sweet Billy,nice score!
jumbledupthinking

Post by jumbledupthinking »

Picked up a Tanglewood mahogany parlour guitar at the weekend:
Loving it so far...small size, big sound :D (excuse the lo-fi camera phone pic)