EHX: 44 Magnum Power Amp & Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Haze

EHX: 44 Magnum Power Amp & Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi

Post by Haze »

EHX 44 Magnum Power Amp

PRESS RELEASE: Following the introduction of the innovative 22 Caliber Guitar Amp, Electro-Harmonix presents a more powerful 44-watt version in our smallest pedal-sized package. The 44 Magnum Power Amp, designed with guitar in mind, is also at home with bass, keyboards or virtually any electric instrument.

The 44 Magnum delivers a broad power range with plenty of headroom. It can also be driven to a natural saturation as the volume is turned up. A Tone Switch lets the player select a neutral tone or a top-end boost that adds upper harmonic definition.

The ultra-portable 44 Magnum is ideal as a primary or a backup amplifier, and at 4.70 (h) x 3.70 (w) x 1.18-inch (d), can go directly from your pocket or gig bag to the stage. It comes complete with a 24DC-3000 power supply and is compatible with any speaker cabinet providing an 8 or 16 Ohm load.

The 44 Magnum Power Amp has a US MSRP of $193, with a June 2010 delivery anticipated.

EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi

PRESS RELEASE: Electro-Harmonix has resurrected the warm sound unique to the germanium transistors of the 1960s and applied several modern twists to deliver a new pedal with a vintage vibe and feel, but modern control and power.

The Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi features two independent circuits, one Overdrive and one Distortion, that can be used individually or in series. The Overdrive and Distortion circuits each use a pair of NOS NKT275 germanium transistors. Purists will appreciate the authentic sound of these vintage components and the fact that the Germanium 4 is true bypass.

The Overdrive section features independent controls for Gain, Bias, Tone and Volume, while Distortion provides independent controls for Gain, Bias, Volts and Volume. The Bias controls adjust the tonal character of the distortion by changing the bias of the signal before it is distorted by the germanium transistors. The Volts control enables the player to dial back the amount of voltage supplied to the Distortion side and create varying "dying battery" sounds.

Stack the overdrive and distortion in series and the player has two individual control sets that work in combination for a hybrid tonality that can be mixed and balanced. When combined, the four germanium transistors are stacked providing a new power edge in performance.

The Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi features a compact 4.75 (h) x 5.75 (w) x 1.5-inch (d) enclosure. It comes equipped with a battery. It also uses an optional 9DC-100 power supply.

USA List is $193, with shipping dates TBC.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Just brilliant.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

uhm... loving that new muff.

How long on a MBM clone? ;)
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
the isaac eaton

Post by the isaac eaton »

glad I held out on getting a new muff. that thing looks rad.
Mike wrote:Welcome to like 2005, you bleeding idiot.
ohyeahfuzzbear

Post by ohyeahfuzzbear »

Just when I thought I was over Big Muffs...
Doog wrote:"And every day after high school, the young Kurt would sit down with his soldering iron and oscilloscope, to work on what come to be known as the Boss DS-1, the world's first guitar distortion pedal."
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

hmm... they have been putting out so much cool stuff lately that i kind off feel disappointed with this. I'm can't see the point off that amp thing. The muff might be cool, but there are so many overdrive/distortion pedals on the market... They should work on a deluxe hazarai, that would be awesome
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

it's got a fucking starve knob.

dwarfcraft much?
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
benecol

Post by benecol »

Powerful a hero as Aen is, I don't think he would lay claim to inventing the starve knob my old love. No interest in the amp thing, was full of excitement about the germanium muff, but its doubled-upness and it's iffy design put me off. Wish they'd just made a regular germ muff.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

benecol wrote:Powerful a hero as Aen is, I don't think he would lay claim to inventing the starve knob my old love. No interest in the amp thing, was full of excitement about the germanium muff, but its doubled-upness and it's iffy design put me off. Wish they'd just made a regular germ muff.
proven fact, aen invented the distortion pedal. He carved the first one out of the very asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs.

Look it up, it's on wikipedia.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

It was really boring after the dinosaurs died. No one around to fight.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I wonder if it actually sounds anything like a Muff, given the "overdrive" and "distortion" mode descriptions.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:"overdrive" and "distortion" mode descriptions.
That's when I stopped reading.

I would love two big muffs in a box, with everything switchable so that either of the two could be one of any of the various muffs, including diode switching and tone wicker and all sorts of other nonsense I wouldn't understand or be able to hear but would pay to have a labelled knob for.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

When I heard the were doing a germanium muff I was excited, not so much anymore.

I'll have to wait to hear it, the description sounds stupid and it looks dumb.
chisa

Post by chisa »

wanna hear what that muff is capable of
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Its probably two "germanium overdrives" in one box, with one twekaed for a little more gain. They slap "Muff" on naything that makes dirt it seems.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

NOS NKT275
Unobtainium! These are the things in Analogman's sunface special editions he claims don't exist anymore.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

The original Muff pedal was just an overdrive. The fuzz came later.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Mike wrote:
NOS NKT275
Unobtainium! These are the things in Analogman's sunface special editions he claims don't exist anymore.
same thing with the JRC opamp chips and whatnot. Those are still mass produced today.
I've been wanting a pair of ntks for the sunface you've built me to see what all the fuss(zz?) (and additional $50 charge) is all about.

It'd be silly for people to get these germanium "big muffs", swap out the transistors and sell/keep the 275s or even sell the BMP as new and do what have you with the 275s
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ekwatts wrote:The original Muff pedal was just an overdrive. The fuzz came later.
The Big Muff (which this box is calling itself) was always a fuzz though.
benecol

Post by benecol »

Boom. This ^.

I've read in a number of places that they're being a bit economical with the truth when they're describing the transistors in these, mind.