Squier Jaguar Bass Video

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

soundofseventythree

Squier Jaguar Bass Video

Post by soundofseventythree »

[youtube][/youtube]

For those interested in hearing it in action.

I know the people who have played it so far have been unimpressed, but mine is beautiful both in sound and playability. I took it out of the box, tuned it, and recorded the bassline to this song; it was set up that well. Does it compare to a bass twice its price that shares its name? I don't honestly know, but in my opinion this is a beautiful sounding and playing bass in its own right.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I don't like the sound of that because you can tell the strings brand new.

It makes bass tones so tinny.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
soundofseventythree

portugalwillie wrote:I don't like the sound of that because you can tell the strings brand new.

It makes bass tones so tinny.
I hear ya, but I actually intentionally use a pretty bright sound for this style of music. I had the tone all the way up on the AmPlug Bass, I had the treble pickup only on the Jag Bass and I had the tone full up on the bass too. So yeah the strings were definitely a factor, but I could have tamed it if I had chosen to. Since the melody (or one of them) is in the bass I use a brighter tone than I would if I were just trying to hold down the low end.

The interesting thing about the bass which I did not realize when I ordered it is that the tone controls are notched in increments. I think this helps when you are adjusting the volume to not also adjust the tone. Its the first time I have encountered this style of notched control on a tone control but I think I like it.

Anyway thanks for checking out the vid. :)
Rox

Post by Rox »

Sounds good . I for one won't dog the Squier . I have a modded Squier Dirnt and it's killer . A good friend of mine has the CV P bass and that thing plays much better than a Mexi P bass . In fact both the Squiers do .
Does the Jag bass come with a real tort pick guards or is it one of the cheesy tort print ones like the CVs ?
soundofseventythree

Rox wrote:Sounds good . I for one won't dog the Squier . I have a modded Squier Dirnt and it's killer . A good friend of mine has the CV P bass and that thing plays much better than a Mexi P bass . In fact both the Squiers do .
Does the Jag bass come with a real tort pick guards or is it one of the cheesy tort print ones like the CVs ?
Hey thanks! I'll take a look at the pickguard when I get home. How would I know for sure if it is imitation or real? I've never owned a tortoise shell p-guard guitar before.
THEGREATJONZINI

Post by THEGREATJONZINI »

nice little jingle that.
soundofseventythree

THEGREATJONZINI wrote:nice little jingle that.
Thanks I appreciate it! :D
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

soundofseventythree wrote:Hey thanks! I'll take a look at the pickguard when I get home. How would I know for sure if it is imitation or real? I've never owned a tortoise shell p-guard guitar before.
If it's imitation it will be printed and a very close look, maybe even needing a magnifying glass (I'm not sure as I've not done it) would let you see pixels. Frankly, the majority of the modern 'real' stuff looks useless anyway, and you're probably better off with a printed version of a nice looking pattern.
Shabba.
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

Nice tune, and I think the bass sound fits well. It kind of reminds me of Sunny Day Real Estate.

Is that an E-Bow in there from 2:25-3:09? Sounds like it may be in a few of the chorus lead-ins too.
Rox wrote:Does the Jag bass come with a real tort pick guards or is it one of the cheesy tort print ones like the CVs ?
I'm sure it's not real tort, as it's not legal anywhere in the world. Fender and Squier seem to use several variants of some horrendous photocopied dogshit. Some of it does look decent, but it's really hit-or-miss.

EDIT: Whoops, took a little long to compose this. What James also said.
soundofseventythree

James wrote:
soundofseventythree wrote:Hey thanks! I'll take a look at the pickguard when I get home. How would I know for sure if it is imitation or real? I've never owned a tortoise shell p-guard guitar before.
If it's imitation it will be printed and a very close look, maybe even needing a magnifying glass (I'm not sure as I've not done it) would let you see pixels. Frankly, the majority of the modern 'real' stuff looks useless anyway, and you're probably better off with a printed version of a nice looking pattern.
Well at first I was thinking it might actually be real but upon close inspection on the in-between areas I think I can see little dots like on a newspaper, so I guess that is the printing? Its three ply with black, then white, and then the tort veneer on top. Its that real 'busy' lighter kind of tort-shell rather then the larger swirly or real dark kind and I would probably never know it wasn't real unless I were looking for it. As for the pattern I'm ok with it but it probably would look real nice with a less busy darker larger swirl tort-shell too.
soundofseventythree

avj wrote:Nice tune, and I think the bass sound fits well. It kind of reminds me of Sunny Day Real Estate.

Is that an E-Bow in there from 2:25-3:09? Sounds like it may be in a few of the chorus lead-ins too.
Rox wrote:Does the Jag bass come with a real tort pick guards or is it one of the cheesy tort print ones like the CVs ?
I'm sure it's not real tort, as it's not legal anywhere in the world. Fender and Squier seem to use several variants of some horrendous photocopied dogshit. Some of it does look decent, but it's really hit-or-miss.

Hey thanks! Yes its an Ebow played on an original Reverend Warhawk HB (you can actually see it behind me in the video).

I'll have to check out Sunny Day Real Estate because you are the second person who has said that. I've never heard them so I know I was not imitating them, but it would be interesting to hear them since two people have made the comparison. Is there a particular song that you are thinking of or is it more just overall? Are they instrumental?

Anyway thanks for checking out the video.
endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

seriously enjoyed that song. Alot.
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
soundofseventythree

endsjustifymeans wrote:
seriously enjoyed that song. Alot.
Thanks, so much! :D
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Doesn't sound too bad. The song is pretty sweet, initially I wasn't enjoying the processing on the guitar, but it grew on me!
I like a bright bass tone, and love the new bass string sound (hated it when I first was playing, but I've gotten into a brighter state of mind as I aged :P ). While the Jaguar is sounding pretty decent here, it's not what *I* would want it to be. While kinda bright I find it still a little undefined… but not really, ya know, bad.

Thanks for the demo. I won't be getting one; but I wasn't planning to in the first place, and this hasn't changed my mind… but it's great to hear it in action!
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Rox

Post by Rox »

avj wrote:Nice tune, and I think the bass sound fits well. It kind of reminds me of Sunny Day Real Estate.

UGH..... :?

avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

soundofseventythree wrote:

Hey thanks! Yes its an Ebow played on an original Reverend Warhawk HB (you can actually see it behind me in the video).

I'll have to check out Sunny Day Real Estate because you are the second person who has said that. I've never heard them so I know I was not imitating them, but it would be interesting to hear them since two people have made the comparison. Is there a particular song that you are thinking of or is it more just overall? Are they instrumental?

Awesome. I picked up an E-Bow a few years back, and while it's not something to be used all the time, it's a really great tool to have around. (I used it recently on a song for a friend's solo project.) Love the Warhawk, too. I'm a big Reverend fan and visited the factory a few times (it's nearby) and also had a chance to meet Naylor.

As far as the Sunny Day Real Estate thing, I guess I don't really know why it reminds me of them. Perhaps it's just the melodic bass line with clean-to-loud dreamy guitar stuff; I have no idea how to quantify this kind of thing. They're one of my favorite bands, and their entire catalog is rock-solid in my opinion -- not one bad album. You'd probably like them. Or not.

Here are a few examples:
► Show Spoiler
But anyway, yes, again: great tune. I listened to a bunch of your stuff the other day when I saw the Harm 1 video, and I'm officially a deranged fanboy. Keep the good stuff coming.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

in reality i didnt actually hear the bass.\ and also. play the low notes, thats what bass players are meant for.
sorry if i come off harsh. im a bass player. but i suck and you are much better than i, and thata bass seems that it may actually soumds good
avj
A Select Individual

Post by avj »

For no good reason, I did a quick mockup of what the Squier Jag Bass would look like with the Jazz bridge cover I recently put on my Fender Jag Bass.

RESULTS: In my opinion, not so good.

I do think it looks great on the Fender version, however.

soundofseventythree

avj wrote:
soundofseventythree wrote:

Awesome. I picked up an E-Bow a few years back, and while it's not something to be used all the time, it's a really great tool to have around. (I used it recently on a song for a friend's solo project.) Love the Warhawk, too. I'm a big Reverend fan and visited the factory a few times (it's nearby) and also had a chance to meet Naylor.

As far as the Sunny Day Real Estate thing, I guess I don't really know why it reminds me of them. Perhaps it's just the melodic bass line with clean-to-loud dreamy guitar stuff; I have no idea how to quantify this kind of thing. They're one of my favorite bands, and their entire catalog is rock-solid in my opinion -- not one bad album. You'd probably like them. Or not.

Here are a few examples:
► Show Spoiler
But anyway, yes, again: great tune. I listened to a bunch of your stuff the other day when I saw the Harm 1 video, and I'm officially a deranged fanboy. Keep the good stuff coming.
Hey awesome man! The deranged fanboys are always the best ones! ;)

BTW thanks for turning me on to sunny day. I checked out some of their stuff on emusic and I dig it. i can't say that i hear the resemblance yet but the previews are really short, so maybe i will hear it when i get the albums next month when my downloads refresh.
soundofseventythree

robert(original) wrote:in reality i didnt actually hear the bass.\ and also. play the low notes, thats what bass players are meant for.
sorry if i come off harsh. im a bass player. but i suck and you are much better than i, and thata bass seems that it may actually soumds good
hey no worries man, i plan to do a proper 'demo' of just the bass solo playing more traditional stuff, finger-style etc. however if you can't hear the bass then you are not using the right speakers!!! during what what might be called the 'chorus' all i play is 'traditional' bass (the low F and low G among other things) so that is one half step above the lowest note on the Jag. the tone may be bright but there is still plenty of low end there (i just did not cut the highs). but perhaps you meant the tone was too bright??? which again i will cover some different tones you can get with the jag in a demo video. this was just sort of me using the jag in context.

i also have to respectively disagree that basses are not made to play melodies or high notes. i have a few tunes where the bass carries the melody for part of the tune and then when it comes time to really rock it drops down to fill in the low end. besides a lot of my favorite bands use bass in non-traditional ways. but i know most people want to hear the jag bass play more traditional stuff which i will do in my demo vid which i will see if i can knock out later today.

anyway thanks for checking out the vid! :)