Shell Pink MJT Tele Build

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Shell Pink MJT Tele Build

Post by benecol »

Hello there shortscale, thought I'd bring you up to speed with what I'm up to, since I've dropped various hints over the last few days... Not entirely sure if this counts as a build/project, since I'll be building the guitar from very big, guitar shaped bits, but thought it could be interesting...

I've been promising myself a lovely tele for ages - had some in the past that I've loved, and they suit the way I play perfectly. I had a Baja recently, but the neck was never quite big enough for me, and it always felt a bit stiff and lifeless to me. Played a 52ri a couple of months back, and even that neck felt too small to me (smaller than a Baja, in fact). I'm pretty particular about what I want, and had eyed up the various Warmoth options, but (corksniffer alert) I didn't want to spend all that money on a guitar with a neck radius I didn't want (can't get my specs in 7.25" radius) and a poly finish (fuck you if you sneer - I want it with a nitro finish). Flushed with my success at putting together my baritone tele, I looked at some of the various tele projects and builds around the place, and Mark Jenny from MJT Guitars was a name that kept cropping up.

Now, I'm not usually a fan of relicced finishes, but people were waxing lyrical over his painting skills, and his 'closet clean' finishes are grand - no big gouges or owt, just nitro finishes with light yellowing. So I got in touch with Mark about the specs I wanted, and he's been good as gold... He usually uses Allparts necks (same as I used on the baritone), which, word on the street is, are the same as are used on CIJ guitars. However, since I was very particular on what I wanted, he advised we use Musikraft. I also wanted the finished guitar to be very light (another beef with the Baja - I'm aiming for under 6.5lbs.), and he was able to lay his hands on a very light swamp ash body made by Wildwood Manufacturing. This was all starting to look much better than Warmoth, and cheaper too, so I went for it.

My specs run:
  • - Shell pink tele with (very) light yellowing.
    - Closet clean finish, no checking.
    - Ash body: hoping the finished guitar will weigh in at around 6.5lb.

- Musikraft neck made to the following spec (have put in bold any changes): right-handed, 25.5 scale, 21 frets, 1-3/4" nut, standard heel, rock maple, Kluson tuner holes, single action trussrod, 7-14" radius, black markers with standard spacing, 6105 frets, flat nut, Fat C 1" to 1", slotted bone nut installed +$55, no finish (no warranty), semi rolled fingerboard edges.
    - Closet clean finish on the neck too.

- Closet clean hardware too.
    - White button Kluson tuners
    - Compensated brass saddle tele bridge
    - Three-ply mint guard, domed knobs, round string tree, round switch tip, and I plan to flip the control plate.
Mark sent through examples of shell pink finishes with varying degrees of yellowing - I went for this one with very light yellowing (ignore the battle damage, and the fact it's a strat):

Image[/img]

The neck is going to be a real caveman job: was umming and ahhing about a V neck profile (my old CIJ tele had a great neck like this) but also wanted the neck to be as thick as possible; gone for the fat C figuring that I can always shave it down/replace it with a V/have a tele custom made with this profile sometime in the future. Plus, this frankly terrifying image of a Musikraft Fat C helped me make my mind up:

... mother of god.

The only things I need to source myself are electrics (more about these another time - suffice to say, I'm a little confused) and pickups. Did a load of listening to clips, eBay scouring and so on for pickups this last week: I know I want a traditional tele sound, and I tend to shy away from overwound pickups as a rule. Fender '51 Nocasters seemed to be a good choice - traditional, but still grunty, and in the world of m@j@ pickups, not a bad price. So some of those are winging their way to me.

So that's what I've been up to: bit of a TLDR post to start with, but I'll update you as we go. Mark reckons on a 4-6 week build time, and sends pictures throughout. The guitar arrives as a kit, so we can all laugh together as I fuck up my beautiful shell pink nitro finish by dripping solder over it, then drill up through the fretboard when the time comes to attach the neck.

WHAT FUN WE'LL HAVE.
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

((front))
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

That neck looks amazing. I love massive necks.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Awesome, can't wait to see how this turns out. A lovely tele is the one guitar I would really really love.... alas being a skint teenager sucks.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Shell pink - yes!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Ash Teles are definitely the way to go, especially if you select a lite one as you have. That's what I used for my Baja tele.

You mentioned you had a Baja tele recently. How about using the Baja Electronics? Such a versatile set of pickups and the series and out-of-phase options are amazing.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Thom wrote:Shell pink - yes!
And Tele...One more yes to boot!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

taylornutt wrote:How about using the Baja Electronics? Such a versatile set of pickups and the series and out-of-phase options are amazing.
In terms of the four-way switch: no, I had it on one of my older teles, and I'm not that keen on the boosted humbucker-esque sound, and since I'm a clumsy fella, one of the appeals of the tele switch is that it just clonks from one position to another - the four way makes me skip past the neck pickup and makes the whole thing unnecessarily fiddly.

In terms of the S1 system, I really didn't like the feel of the pot with the button on the top: I'm flipping the control plate because I use volume swells a lot with delay - I thought the S1 pot felt horrible and got in the way of this.
JesusRancher

Post by JesusRancher »

Good luck m8, the MJT examples look good. I'd love to own a custom colour on custom colour relic strat, they are about the only relics I'm into. It's funny how fender charge so much for a custom shop recreation of a 60's factory fuckup.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

ruddy hell, that neck looks monstrous.
StevePirates

Post by StevePirates »

Pretty sure that neck is a repurposed Louisville Slugger.
Hell is other people.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

The neck on that Gordon Smith has fair ruined me for other guitars.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

where Da binding At' ?
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

stewart wrote:ruddy hell, that neck looks monstrous.
It is crazy big!!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Since you are planning on using compensated saddles, you might want to checkout this bridge.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-C ... p_873.html

I used it on my tele. it works great and is on sale right now.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
JesusRancher

Post by JesusRancher »

I've become slightly obsessed with that mjt site, the la cabronita teles are so awesome especially without the fender custom shop price.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

taylornutt wrote:Since you are planning on using compensated saddles, you might want to checkout this bridge...
Streets ahead of you. Had already changed this in the spec, funnily enough. Although I'm loathe to have Trev Wilkinson's name on my guitar.

Izodiak, no binding because I wanted a tele with a maple neck: all my other guitars have rosewood necks, and I only like binding on rosewood board teles.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

benecol wrote:I only like binding on rosewood board teles.
ohhh, +1.

love where this is going
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
lorez

Post by lorez »

this sounds like its going to be brilliant and love the relic'd shell pink on that strat
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i think portugal_willie just bought an allparts FAT C maple one piece and was surprised to see that it was in fact SUPER FAT.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.