shortscale love for acoustic guitars?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

sonicboom

shortscale love for acoustic guitars?

Post by sonicboom »

Bought this a while ago and can't put it down. It's a Crafter TA050AM and it's pretty much a copy of a 1930 Martin 000-45 - of which there's one here http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/2179 ... _41539/for a hefty chunk o'change.
Mine was uh...significantly cheaper. That 000 sized body (I had to look it up) makes it a great guitar to play pre-war blues/ John Fahey type stuff on.
Just occurred to me that someone here might like it.

endsjustifymeans
Grown Up Punk

Post by endsjustifymeans »

Where are the pickups?
dots wrote:society is crumbling because of asshoels like ends
brainfur wrote:I'm having difficulty reconciling my desire to smash the state & kill all white people with my desire for a new telecaster
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

i play my acoustic (awesome rogue Honduran mahogany d-15 copy) on the daily, but no one else seems to like 'em around here.

yours looks lovely. my next huge guitar purchase will be a used martin 000.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
lorez

Post by lorez »

nice acoustics guys, i have a fender gemini II which is 20 years old now and I play it quite a lot. at the moment its in dadgad for some nice droney strumming. i'll try and get a shot of it tomorrow
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
sonicboom

Post by sonicboom »

Thanks. I'd be dead happy too with a guitar made of rogue mahogany.

I've been getting right into the old blues tunings - DADF#AD (called Vestapol tuning - very long story behind that) and Spanish tuning (DGDGBD). There's two killer low tunings too - Fahey used CGCGCE and Martin Carthy (proper English folkie) uses CGCDGA.
You need 12s at least to make those low boys work, but they sound hellish good.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I play my acoustic more than electric. It lives in the lounge like a piece of furniture. I love it. It's a K.Yairi G1F:
Advertised as a parlour guitar but in reality is slightly bigger, neck joins at the 14th fret instead of the usual 12th on a parlour.

K.Yairi are a japanese company. They build the top line Alvarez guitars in the USA i think.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

Nice to see proper wide nuts on some of these - when will electric makers learn?
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

lorez wrote:dadgad for some nice droney strumming.
<3 dadgad. that's primarily how my dot is tuned (fun for electrified versions of jose gonzales tunes), but i normally keep my acoustic in slack.

love yr k.yairi, dan.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

I have mine tuned to standard tuning, but a whole step down. D standard? The steel strings were messing up the skin on my fingers in standard tuning so having them looser helps. I just add a capo for when I need it standard.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

that's beautiful

When I play guitar it has to be a dread though.
everything is not going to be alright
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

DanHeron wrote:I play my acoustic more than electric. It lives in the lounge like a piece of furniture. I love it. It's a K.Yairi G1F:
Advertised as a parlour guitar but in reality is slightly bigger, neck joins at the 14th fret instead of the usual 12th on a parlour.

K.Yairi are a japanese company. They build the top line Alvarez guitars in the USA i think.

the nike swoosh looks like it's actually in the finish on the guitar.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

endsjustifymeans wrote:Where are the pickups?
:lol:
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

That guitar is beautiful! I play my acoustic more than electric too. I have a Taylor 414ce, and I love it.

DADGAD is my favorite tuning for acoustic as well. And Hotrod, I have a friend that has a rogue acoustic that he loves too. I have a cheap ass rogue mandolin and I love that thing too.
Will
Up on his Whore Lore

Post by Will »

My classical has been getting nearly all the love lately. It's so freeing to be able to grab any chord you want anywhere on the neck without hitting adjacent strings.

It's left me trying to figure out how to get an electric with a near 2-inch nut.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Billy3000 wrote:Hotrod, I have a friend that has a rogue acoustic that he loves too. I have a cheap ass rogue mandolin and I love that thing too.
rogue shit is really well made, and has a fantastic sound. i actually have two of the dreadnaughts in honduran mahog. just an acoustic and an acoustic/electric with the shitman piezo job in the bridge and a cutaway.

they're so nice and i think it got the a/e one for $90 (local), and the regular one for like $45 (ebay), both used. they have the martin non-offensive headstock and everything. they'll hold tune forever and have nice skinny necks.
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
Billy3000 wrote:Hotrod, I have a friend that has a rogue acoustic that he loves too. I have a cheap ass rogue mandolin and I love that thing too.
rogue shit is really well made, and has a fantastic sound. i actually have two of the dreadnaughts in honduran mahog. just an acoustic and an acoustic/electric with the shitman piezo job in the bridge and a cutaway.

they're so nice and i think it got the a/e one for $90 (local), and the regular one for like $45 (ebay), both used. they have the martin non-offensive headstock and everything. they'll hold tune forever and have nice skinny necks.
Seriously. One of the things people warned me about with the rogue mandolin was that it's not real wood so it would feel cheap, and sound like shit and the tuners wouldn't hold. I hardly ever tune the damn thing, and it holds in tune really well for a couple days at a time. It doesn't slip out of tune while I'm playing it like people said would happen. Plus, it sounds really fucking good especially considering I only paid $30 for it brand new! It was intonated right out of the box and everything! I didn't even have to fuck with that, and the strings on it seem really nice too... much nicer than most guitar strings that come on stock guitars. They're really smooth and easy on my fingers.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

agreed.
every acoustic needs a pickup.
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

serfx wrote:
agreed.
every acoustic needs a pickup.
so you can do this :D

[youtube][/youtube]

but seriously I Love acoustics, its a MUST own....
Last edited by SGJarrod on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
lorez wrote: I'm a fuzz lover so my clean is another man's crunch ;)
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Billy3000 wrote:
hotrodperlmutter wrote:

Seriously. One of the things people warned me about with the rogue mandolin was that it's not real wood so it would feel cheap, and sound like shit and the tuners wouldn't hold. I hardly ever tune the damn thing, and it holds in tune really well for a couple days at a time. It doesn't slip out of tune while I'm playing it like people said would happen. Plus, it sounds really fucking good especially considering I only paid $30 for it brand new! It was intonated right out of the box and everything! I didn't even have to fuck with that, and the strings on it seem really nice too... much nicer than most guitar strings that come on stock guitars. They're really smooth and easy on my fingers.
fact: rogue instruments come with quality martin strangz. the thing that sucks is finding the replacements. :)
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

love me some acoustics, though i've never owned a particularly nice one. I have a takawhateverini 12 string that was pretty sweet til it got a dent in the side, which totally destroyed the sound and volume. I have a silvertone 3/4 size acoustic which is surprisingly fun to play, and for whatever reason, is easy to write songs on. My first guitar ever was a silvertone classical guitar. still have it. intonation is fucked. It's unfortunate, cause i really like the sound. I inherited my brother's acoustic, which i cant' remember the name of, but it's a less expensive guitar that has a decent sound and is super comfortable to play.

I really, really crave a very nice classical guitar. one of my favorite types of stringed instruments to play.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.