Cleaning stain from amp grill

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

mkt3000

Cleaning stain from amp grill

Post by mkt3000 »

So, today I hit up a few local pawn shops, and came home with a bedroom amp, a Marshall VS30R ($30!!)

It works fine and sounds pretty decent, but it could use some TLC (cleanup, replacing of all the screws that are rusted, and 2 knobs). Anyway, there's a huge stain on the grille... any suggestions on how to tackle it? Here's a pic:

othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I'm in the same position... and mines for sale.

I reckon numerous wipes with a non scratch scourer and minimal fairy liquid would do the job.... or maybe upgrading to turps or lighter fluid if really bad.

If you can hold tissue or kitchen roll behind the mesh I'm sure that would be a bonus.

That stain almost looks like a clean bit where the rest needs a basic dust / wipe over.

Have you tried anything yet ?

* Pour beer on it ??? I've drank all mine.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

The only beer I spill goes down my throat :twisted:

Honestly, I don't have a clue what was spilled on it. It had a Dec 2009 tag at the pawn shop when I bought it, and there's no discernable smell on the stain (yes, i smelled it). So it's been there a while, and it might have happened at the pawn shop some time over the past 2 years.

The other thing I thought about was going over the whole grille lightly with black shoe polish, like this

Dannymec

Post by Dannymec »

I'd recommend removing the grill, and letting it soak in warm soapy water. Then rub it with a rag for awhile.
Burn the South.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

This doesnt help but years ago all i could afford was an old Carlsbro valve combo that was going cheap because someone had painted a smiley 'acid house' face on it. I just sprayed the grill with black paint. Looked fine, not an ideal solution though i know.
These days you can buy speaker cloth/grill easily on the interwebs.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Dannymec wrote:I'd recommend removing the grill, and letting it soak in warm soapy water. Then rub it with a rag for awhile.
It didn't work :( That stain is in there.

I think I'm gonna hit it with a quick coat of black spray paint and just paint over the stain.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Disolve 1/4 cup of baking soda into 3 cups of boiling water, dunk and go at it with a toothbrush.
If the stain looks greasy, add a couple drops of dishwashing soap into the mix.
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Let us know how the cleaning goes, i'm very curious about this.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

go to the store and get some rad fabric son

do an robroe
dots wrote:incesticide
AaronGuitarDude

Post by AaronGuitarDude »

soak it with oil and burn it. :oops:
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

robroe wrote:go to the store and get some rad fabric son

do an robroe
Fuck yeah. I'm feeling inspired.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

JJLipton wrote:Let us know how the cleaning goes, i'm very curious about this.
Nothing killed the stain, so I sprayed it with black acrylic and it looks good now. I'll post pics once it dries.

However, robroe inspired me, so I'm gonna go to the fabric store tonight.
roachello
Cunt Punt

Post by roachello »

robroe wrote:go to the store and get some rad fabric son

do an robroe
Hell yeah

It looks like a grease stain. If it is some sort of oil-based stain, then I would just opt to replace it. You can also get artsy and paint something on the grill too, but yeah, I really like the Robroe method. It puts some individuality into ur gear :) It even works awesome as a bass drum skin

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

roachello wrote: It even works awesome as a bass drum skin

Haaaaha I did this on my first drumkit with some nice plaid material, poking out from the sides of the hoop. The covers band I played for always used to take the piss and said I was playing a jamjar though D:

mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

ugh... so the particle board soaked up a bit too much of the paint, and it wouldn't fit. I tried tapping it into place by hand and ended up breaking it. Particle board + caribbean climate = not a good mix

So I mounted the speaker backwards to hold it in place, since I travel tomorrow, and I'll fix it on the road. I know of a good lumberyard close to where I'll be. I'll also look at fabric samples. Or if I can find a blanket at a thrift store with a ninja turtles print, we're in business.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Another update... no pics yet, because I had to leave the amp behind due to lack of space in my car.

I've decided to make a new cabinet for it completely out of plywood, leave it natural, getting some rad light-colored fabric, spraying the Marshall Logo black, and putting it back together.