TEH KURTZ.... parted out

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

KPI

TEH KURTZ.... parted out

Post by KPI »

I can't imagine how the guy will break even, but whatever. I was dissapointed to see that the flush switches are just regular switches with a spacer. presumably the routing on the body is deeper to accomodate.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

after playing with them for so long regular height i don't think i would like them all stubby
dots wrote:incesticide
kypdurron

Post by kypdurron »

it once did the same thing to my Mustang, but with much cruder stuff. These spacers should come with all Mustangs.
Obi Wan says: The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly.

strat-talk says: Shortscale is a crazy place. There seems to be no rules at all and they're all insane!
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

The spacers are great! I decided yesterday that I didn't like the way it was handling (electronics wise), so I took the thing apart yesterday.

Anyway, here's what I found:

Here are the things I noticed:

1. The neck pickup is the cheaper looking kind that comes with '69, '73, and the other RI, and not the better looking and cloth wire kind that comes in '65s. Slightly disappointing? However, I wasn't even using the neck pickup on mine so I guess I hardly noticed. Sounded pretty good, though.

2. The switches are the standard Japanese issue, they have retaining nuts, instead of being threaded at the switch. I'm not a fan, but here it actually makes a bit of sense, since it makes the foam retainers possible.

3. The JB is a standard issue JB but has short wires and the humbucker routing is weird. There is no recess at all for the mounting screws, the thing sits flush against the body, no spacer foam or anything. The pickup is actually quite close to the strings already, so if you don't like that, you have no option but to live with it. I wouldn't change a thing about the bucker, though, honestly, it sounds awesome already.

4. I don't know if you guys know this but SD and Fender pickups are reversed in terms of phase. You would think that Fender would have dealt with this by flipping the wires on the neck pickup. Instead, they went with a very interesting option: the red wire is the ground, white wire is hot, and the black and green are the split wires. The standard Duncan colors are green for ground, black for hot, and red and white for the coil split. The KC wiring changes the phase of the pickup, and not only that, it changes the behavior of a coil split if you ground the split wire, since you'll get the screw coil and not the slug.

5. The bridge is actually radiused to 9.5", and not 7.25". This was slightly disappointing. However, considering just how small the differences are, and the fact that it had 3/64" action from the factory and it was fine, this tells you all I need to know. I think I will one day install GraphTech saddles.

Overall, none of this is groundbreaking stuff but just some interesting quirks about a rather interesting guitar.

I made the following mods:

1. I cut the spacer in half with a box cutter and used it under both switches so I now only have half recessed switches.

2. I gave the JB what I've been calling the Avril Lavigne wiring, where the 3-way is wired so that I can split to slug, use as full humbucker, or split to screw. It's a neat idea stolen from the Avril Tele. I've been doing this on my humbucker guitars, and I really do love it. I think it's the best way to wire a coil split. The screw side is a bit weak but has good twang, whereas the slug is quite powerful and very usable. All three mix well with the neck.

3. I put in a Green Lace Sensor that I had lying around. I wasn't unhappy with stock, just that I knew eventually I'd want a different neck pickup since I prefer low noise or noiseless options. Since the SD was wired in reverse phase, I also installed the Lace in reverse phase (green hot, orange to ground). This was a complete shot in the dark, honestly, because I had no real way of knowing if SD and Lace have the same phase, but I figured they did, and it was a good guess.

4. I changed the neck 3-way to a pickup selector switch. It works exactly as you would expect.

I have to say this wiring does it for me. Not only that, if I ever have an HH Mustang, as in two Hot Rails or P-Rails or something like that, I could imagine using the bridge 3-way not only to select coils for one pickup, but for both at the same time, since it is capable of doing it.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
weeping_moon

Re: TEH KURTZ.... parted out

Post by weeping_moon »

the switches should be that way. if you want to change it to higer you can. aint that great?

and nothing has to be changed in this guitar, it sounds good as it is!!!
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Nothing needs to be changed, but there's plenty of customization to be done. The fact that the bridge pickup doesn't switch phase is kind of idiosyncratic for a Mustang.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

honeyiscool wrote:Nothing needs to be changed, but there's plenty of customization to be done. The fact that the bridge pickup doesn't switch phase is kind of idiosyncratic for a Mustang.
I like this mustang at it is. Im not even gonna change the pots. I tryed many guitars but this is one of the better.
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

those switchs what brand are?

been using Switchcrafts on my Surf
they are superb.

factory duncan on my Split-Series-Neck setup

Cheapo mass produced StratoCrappoCopy singlecoil , default on all japo-ressu :lol:
they brand was Mustang original for fools

thats close a mustang to me
duncan
novak

not even close singlecoil they selling :lol:
Precise dwarf bravery
dkoor

Post by dkoor »

+1 to Switchcraft rules. 8)
Cagethelephant

Post by Cagethelephant »

Makes me mad when people part out guitars
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

Cagethelephant wrote:Makes me mad when people post questionably relevant comments to inflate their post count.
dots wrote:fuck that guy in his bunkhole.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Cagethelephant wrote:Makes me mad when people part out guitars

*lolwut*
inkeye

Post by inkeye »

Sorry to revive an old thread. What kind of foam do you think one can use to make some spacers for some Mustang switches?

Thanks for any info.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

go to walmart.

go to the isle with kitchen supplies.

in there you can buy rolls of rubber to line kitchen cabinets with so your dishes don't get all shitty from putting them directly on wood.

get a roll of that shit.

cut it to spec.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

People are sick!
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
Cagethelephant wrote:Makes me mad when people post questionably relevant comments to inflate their post count.

Did the same shit on OSG just to get in to the classifieds haha. Shortscale has a better atmosphere in my opinion then offset but offset has some cool things pop up for sale.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.