'66 Mustang Revival (Mutilated Mustang Build) Paint is done!

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

'66 Mustang Revival (Mutilated Mustang Build) Paint is done!

Post by Awstin »

So I just received that Thurston Mustang body. The paint on it is complete shit so it needs a repaint. Anyone wanna help me decide what to do with this? I have an extra JB in Black, a mustang neck pickup also in black, a spare toggle, knobs, and a jaguar tremolo. I was thinking maybe just do the exact same pickguard as on my Jag-Stang 2.0 in white pearl also but I have no idea if I want the control plate included in the pickguard or buy a control plate, or throw a jag trem on instead of a mustang... etc. Anyone have any ideas? Open to any color as well. Photoshop/builder me some pictures and post them of what you're thinking. Thanks.
Last edited by Awstin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
weeping_moon

Re: Mustang Project (Need some ideas)

Post by weeping_moon »

Do the jb humbucker with a single coil in neck. Paint it lpb with stripes. A mus
tang tremelo system instead of jaguar. Looks better. The tune o matic system is not needed in my taste as well.
But hey, do it as you want its your project.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

I probably would've just updated the other thread you started, and add some pictures.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

hotrodperlmutter wrote:I probably would've just updated the other thread you started, and add some pictures.
Yeah but I am going a complete different direction.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Ditching the Thurston idea
Last edited by Awstin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

but the thurston stang with 3 pups looks so cool! ...just my opinion
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Johnny Noir wrote:but the thurston stang with 3 pups looks so cool! ...just my opinion
But I have a spare JB lol. and no strat pickups or singles in general
Addam

Post by Addam »

Johnny Noir wrote:but the thurston stang with 3 pups looks so cool! ...just my opinion
YES!!!!!

Paint over all that beat-to-shitness and it will be ruined! :shock:
You could make a stock Mustang body for next to nothing. :wink:
paul_

Re: Mustang Project (Need some ideas)

Post by paul_ »

weeping_moon wrote:Do the jb humbucker with a single coil in neck. Paint it lpb with stripes. A mus
tang tremelo system instead of jaguar. Looks better. The tune o matic system is not needed in my taste as well.
But hey, do it as you want its your project.
This is a stock Mustang with an added JB, or the new Kurdtzstang without the TOM... I get how it can be a preferred setup for Mustangs by now, but what's the point if it's a project unless that was the whole idea from the beginning (i.e. kurt's Mustang but for less money)?

I say Punkacc9's done enough kurdtz-like stangy projects by now that he can go full Thurston with this one, or just something off-the-wall crazy. At the very least I think it should be all single coils, and would like to see something other than yet another Mustang trem on there (as they look ok but are shite at the end of the day and impart a very specific sound/feel on any guitar that has one... I'd aim for variety this time around).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Ok I will still do the Thurston stang if someone can donate me some strat pickups. Because that blue guard is gonna cost me $30.00 and I hbe to have cooterfinger mod it for the extra single and the strat switch, plus I need to buy the trem and the plate. Then whenever I get the paint and neck..
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

ITT: dude makes a new thread instead of updating and ask for free pickups
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

SKC Willie wrote: dude
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

Punkacc9 wrote:Ok I will still do the Thurston stang ..
8)
weed_killer

Post by weed_killer »

No offense, but it seems like you just keep starting new projects instead of finishing one first, and then running out of money for them.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

weed_killer wrote:No offense, but it seems like you just keep starting new projects instead of finishing one first, and then running out of money for them.
I ran out of money for them? Not finishing them? What? Lol. Just because they take time doesnt meen they arent getting finished. Have you actually ever payed attention to my builds? My strat projects done, My white mustangs done, The Jag-Stang 2.0 is done, the mustang offset is in paint and then needs to be wired, the Musiclander is in paint as well and then needs to be wired, My jaguars paint is curing and I'm awaiting the rival of parts for it, then this project I just started. Where is your reasoning here?

So I got a vibrato for this project. I traded my Jag-Stang guard for one. (:
weed_killer

Post by weed_killer »

I got the impression of 'running out of money' by you asking for the strat pickups and mentioning the price of the pickguard, but I guess I was wrong.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

weed_killer wrote:I got the impression of 'running out of money' by you asking for the strat pickups and mentioning the price of the pickguard, but I guess I was wrong.
It's cool. And that's just because I have all the parts and would save money if I did the 2.0 style but everyone wants me to make the thurston stang lol
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

Build what you want and what you would use.

basing your opinion based on what two people said on the internet is dumb.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
HNB

Post by HNB »

I agree that you should make something the way you want it. I never normally end up too happy with my tribute guitars because they are not styled for me, but to look like someone elses guitar. :) Make a guitar for you, get famous, and inspire others to copy your guitar. :)