EHX SMMwH or Boss DD20 Giga Delay?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

johnnyseven

EHX SMMwH or Boss DD20 Giga Delay?

Post by johnnyseven »

After picking up a Boss DD7 for cheaps I have decided I would like to get a digital delay that has a few more bells and whistles, primarily the ability to store presets for ease of using multiple sounds when playing live. I whittled the selection down to 2 options, EHX SMMwH or Boss DD20. I know the SMMwH gets some love round these parts but how about the DD20? I think I preferring the DD20 at the moment as it has a wide variety of different delay sounds on offer, how the SMMwH does do nice MBV reverse type sounds (as demonstrated by Reece in his Youtube vid), however the DD20 may be capable of this too. Another reason to favour the DD20 is that i'm really liking my DD7 at the mo and it's pretty much the same plus a load more options, plus it has most of the functions that the SMMwH has but with a few more added on.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i really liked the SMMwH I had, all the features were great in that EHX way of being able to push the envelope. The only downside I felt was the looper and that was only because of the clumsyness of starting it off but the overdubs and changing the sound was fun elements. I haven't tried the DD20 but my mate loves his.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

I had both, the hazarai is way better, it's actually my favorite delay pedal, it does stuff no other pedal can. The dd20 is cool, it does the standart stuff and that's it...

Using the lopper on the hazarai at the same time has the delays isn't easy.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

I vote SMMwH!
MrJamesBrown

Post by MrJamesBrown »

The DD 20 sounds great, and is better if you need more delays available on the fly. But the EHX is pretty cool at the less standard stuff.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I wasn't aware that you could store presets with the DD20. I have the SMMwH and it's by far the most versatile, fun pedal I have. The best feature for me is being able to create my own delay sounds, that have become my signature sound over the last couple of years. I love it. I also love that you can loop your delays in any setting, bar one. This is something that really disappointed me with the Line 6 DL4, which would only let you loop in the actual loop setting. Which you have to twizzle the knob round to get to.

The only improvement they could make to it is to do what RiotShield had done to theirs - by swapping the footswitch which activates the loop. I'm not sure what the alternative is called but basically where you don't have to keep your foot on the switch while recording the loop, it works the same way that you'd switch the pedal on & off.

I'd really like to see EHX bring a Hazarai 2 out.

SMMwH all the way.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

sp3k wrote:I had both, the hazarai is way better, it does stuff no other pedal can.
What does it do that the DD20 can't?

Just trying to work out if the extra things it does are things that i'm actually likely to use. I'm not likely to use things like the looper but I do like the idea of the different sounding delays that the DD20 has, for example I use the Analog setting on my DD7 and i'm pretty sure i'd get some use out of the Tape, Smooth and Warp settings on the DD20. Also does the SMMwH allow you to store more than 1 preset per mode? I think the DD20 does and that would be a function that I would probably use.

Do you still have either the DD20 or the SMMwH? If not did you sell to buy another delay or did you just get bored of them?
Simon

Post by Simon »

It doesn't allow you to store more than one preset in each setting. It would be good if it could but I really don't envisage using it to that extent. I have a preset in each setting that works, whether it's 3ms + echo, or 1ms + Mod. For instance, the reverse delays, I have a preset in there that I have made my own, and if I wanted to do anything else with it, I'd just tweak the dials to get the desired effect, then a tap of the white knob takes me back to my setting.

I thought about selling my SMMwH a few months ago after I bought a DL4 on a whim. I'm so glad I didn't in the end because it turned out that the DL4 pales in comparison. Also, they're unreliable as fuck.

Boss do well at digital delays but I don't really use my SMMwH for clean delays/repeats. I use it for more ambient/atmospherics. I don't really consider it to be a digital delay. It's a bit more gritty than that...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The one thing that spoiled the Hazarai for me was the balance/mix dial- 100% wet or 100% dry; anywhere in-between results in a decrease in your dry signal, making your guitar drop down 'in the mix' in most settings.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I had a DD-20.

it was proper boring sounding.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Doog wrote:The one thing that spoiled the Hazarai for me was the balance/mix dial- 100% wet or 100% dry; anywhere in-between results in a decrease in your dry signal, making your guitar drop down 'in the mix' in most settings.
This is likely to bother me too. I want my dry signal to be consistant (preferably the same level with the pedal on or off) and have the ability to increase/decrease the volume level of the repeats.
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

johnnyseven wrote:
sp3k wrote:I had both, the hazarai is way better, it does stuff no other pedal can.
What does it do that the DD20 can't?

Just trying to work out if the extra things it does are things that i'm actually likely to use. I'm not likely to use things like the looper but I do like the idea of the different sounding delays that the DD20 has, for example I use the Analog setting on my DD7 and i'm pretty sure i'd get some use out of the Tape, Smooth and Warp settings on the DD20. Also does the SMMwH allow you to store more than 1 preset per mode? I think the DD20 does and that would be a function that I would probably use.

Do you still have either the DD20 or the SMMwH? If not did you sell to buy another delay or did you just get bored of them?
the hazarai has delay plus reverb settings, that sound really good and can also do only reverb. The mod delay is also much better then the one on the dd20.
You can also control if you want the delay to fade in, fade out or to just be at the same volume in all the repeats. I don't know of any other delay that can do this, and i can get some really unique sounds from here. There's also a mode where you can reverse the delay by hitting a switch, this way you only reverse what you want!
Then you have the reverse delay mode, it's not the like any delay or reverb reverse mode I've used, is much better, so many good sounds...
There's also some really cool sounds when you use the delay time really low, like oscilation and flagger weird stuff.

The guitar volume only drops if you put the delay mix higher then the guitar mix, and if you do that I guess you would want the ear more delay then guitar!

I do have 2 things I would change. First the looper should have it's own mix knob. If you're on a 100% wet delay and record something you'll have to change to another preset or the loop will also have a 100% wet mix.
The other one is the lack of a mode that self oscillates like an analog delay. I miss this. Also, a footswitch to change presets would be cool.

I traded my dd20 for the hazarai. Before and after that I've tried lots of delay pedals, and the only one that never left my board is the hazarai.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

the looper on the SMMwH is pretty poor, and the blend/level knob is irritating at times. those are my only faults with it.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Thanks for that Sp3k. I just need to work out if I want to go with the DD20 which is pretty much the same as my DD7 (which I really like) with a couple more options or go for the SMMwH, I think the question I need to ask myself is if I think I would want to use all the extra functions that you mention. A mate at work has a SMMwH, if I ask him nicely he'll probably lend it to me for a bit and I can work it out from there.

Has anyone had any issues with reliability with either the DD20 or SMMwH?
sp3k

Post by sp3k »

I had to change the footswitch twice on the hazarai! the first time it was under warranty. the second I just did it myself, didn't want to wait for it to be shipped to the states and back. ehx uses crappy 3dpts, I had 3 ehx pedals Iwhere had to switch them.

Your best bet is to try it! I fell in love with the pedal, but I know some people that find it to confusing. I do love to spend hours turning knobs and making noise...
Simon

Post by Simon »

stewart wrote:the looper on the SMMwH is pretty poor, and the blend/level knob is irritating at times. those are my only faults with it.
I'd agree. The problem I have is with the switch. If you could take your foot off when recording a loop it would be 10x better. I find it bloody difficult to get a loop in time too. It never seems to work for me.

I find the best use for the looper is for recording little bits of guitar/vocals during songs. I'm playing a gig with someone tomorrow and we've worked on her using it with my volume pedal, with some reverse delays on the Hazarai and a shedload of reverb. Building up snippets of her vocal towards the end of the song. It sounds bloody lush.

I'd advise against buying it if you want to use it predominantly for the looper. 30 seconds recording time is still handy though.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

If you are considering the Hazarai check out the demo of mine which is slightly modded for better looping function

[youtube][/youtube]

Last time I checked this particular pedal was for sale in the classifieds by ...ahem... me[/shameless plug]
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Had forgotten about that vid - ruddy brilliant!
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Simon

Post by Simon »

riotshield wrote:If you are considering the Hazarai check out the demo of mine which is slightly modded for better looping function

[youtube][/youtube]

Last time I checked this particular pedal was for sale in the classifieds by ...ahem... me[/shameless plug]
Thing with that Mod you made is that it renders the 1 Sec + Reverse setting useless. You need to have the tap tempo switch in order for it to work when reversing the note. I wouldn't be bothered about it as I'd rather have the different switch that makes looping easier but some other's wouldn't.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

Simon wrote:
riotshield wrote:If you are considering the Hazarai check out the demo of mine which is slightly modded for better looping function

[youtube][/youtube]

Thing with that Mod you made is that it renders the 1 Sec + Reverse setting useless. You need to have the tap tempo switch in order for it to work when reversing the note. I wouldn't be bothered about it as I'd rather have the different switch that makes looping easier but some other's wouldn't.
that is not correct.
the latching switch still has all functions the stock momentary switch had, it just works differently.
more specifically on the 1 sec + reverse setting, when you press (once) the switch the reverse signal starts playing until 6 secs pass or you press (once) again the switch. the only difference with the momentary switch is that the reverse signal plays while the switch is kept pressed and stops once someone takes the foot from the switch.