Guitar hybrids that WORK

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Guitar hybrids that WORK

Post by Dave »

The internet age has heralded an unprecedented amount for guitar tinkering, particularly Hybridization. Post pics of any hybrids that you've seen that you think works really well and say why!

I saw this over at Cousin Offset's gaff - someone there also made one with different finish but I can't locate that thread right now. I think they work really well, in fact better than Telemasters which always seem to have too much blank wood behind the bridge to be truly pleasing.

iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
luciguci

Re: Guitar hybrids that WORK

Post by luciguci »

Dave wrote:I think they work really well, in fact better than Telemasters which always seem to have too much blank wood behind the bridge to be truly pleasing.
That's why I would want a Telemaster with the JM trem.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Now this is sweet.

DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

This might be my favourite looking guitar EVER. Again, from Cousin Offset. One day, I hope to have something very similar.....

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

^ Doesn't that belong to Finboy?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Brandon W wrote:you elites.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

that would be much better if the hardware matched.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I can't find the image any more, but Google's cached it so I hope this works:

EDIT: it doesn't so here's the lank.

HNB did a 'Jazzstang' once that looked sexy as heck iirc, but I'd love to have jazzmaster circuitry and trem in the compact-ness of a Mustang body and scale length.
dub

Post by dub »

Travis Bean Artist crossed with Neil Young's Old Black Les Paul. By EGC.
► Show Spoiler
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Yes, EGC get almost all of their hybrids right. I've seen some very nice plexiglass bodied guitars from them too. There was also a nice Hagstrom HIIN- meets - Travis Bean.

This one will doubtless go down well:

+

=

Richard

Post by Richard »

Hahaha totally see it. The balls are offset.
skip wrote:satan rules
Doug

Post by Doug »

Richard wrote:Hahaha totally see it. The balls are offset.
This is truly unique. One of four men, the left testicle is the bigger one. :wink:
Doug
Doug

Uniquely cool axe

Post by Doug »

timhulio wrote:Image
That's a pretty cool axe, in a funky way. Love the offset (but the offset F-holes are kinda...dunno... :?...maybe if there was just the top F-hole?). Beautiful harmony of the natural wood body, Maple neck, and black trim make the F-holes more dramatic. From Wikipedia:

The Starcaster was commercially unsuccessful, perhaps because of a public notion that Fender was a "solidbody, single coil brand" and Gibson was the "semi-hollow, humbucker brand". As a result, Starcasters are very rare, but are worth less in today's vintage market than many other semi-hollow guitars from the same period to collectors because of their unpopularity and lack of name endorsers at their time of manufacture.

Several modern high profile guitarists use the Starcaster as a preferred instrument. Jonny Greenwood, guitarist of Radiohead, can frequently be seen playing a Starcaster on stage. Sammy James, Jr., guitarist and front man of the Mooney Suzuki, uses a natural finished one and appeared on Late Night with Conan O'Brien with it on June 21, 2007. The guitar can also be seen in the music video to Morrissey's single "You Have Killed Me". Dave Keuning of The Killers also started using one shortly before the release of the album Sam's Town. He could be seen playing his Starcaster during The Killers headline slot at Glastonbury Festival 2007, on Later... with Jools Holland for "Read My Mind" and in the videos for "For Reasons Unknown" and "Human".

Scott McMicken of Dr. Dog employs the Starcaster as one of his main guitars, along with an Epiphone Sheraton II and a Gibson ES-335. Trey Anastasio of Phish plays a custom Languedoc guitar that was originally designed after the vintage Fender Starcaster. Arctic Monkeys guitarist Jamie Cook can also be seen playing one at the 2009 Reading Festival, also in the video for the 2009 single 'Crying Lightning'. Chris Walla of Death Cab For Cutie has occasionally used a Starcaster live.
Construction

The Starcaster has a unique headstock design, with a painted bottom curve matching the color of the guitar body. No other production Fender guitar before or since had the same headstock, but some prototypes of the Fender Marauder, and also designed by Fields, had a similar headstock design. It was also unusual for a semi-hollow guitar in having an asymmetrical ("offset") body, a maple fretboard, a bolt-on neck, a novel control configuration consisting of a volume and tone control for each pickup as well as a master volume control, and Fender's traditional six-on-a-side tuning pegs.

I wouldn't mind havin one, and if I had one now I'd hang on to it...bet they will become collectable even if not primo.

Cheers,
Doug
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Starcasters are difficult to find and expensive. While a Coronado II might run $1200-$1500 range, Starcasters are often double that.

I played one at the last guitar show and it's heavier than you might think. It's definitely on my guitar bucket list.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Doug

Post by Doug »

taylornutt wrote:Starcasters are difficult to find and expensive. While a Coronado II might run $1200-$1500 range, Starcasters are often double that...
I played one at the last guitar show and it's heavier than you might think. It's definitely on my guitar bucket list.
Thanks, TN. I'd gotten some different info.

Cheers,
Doug
paul_

Post by paul_ »

If I ever get a singlecut LP kit the Gretsch Paul shall ride again

Past a certain point they became the only thing I ever built on Kisekae

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doug

Gretsch-Paul kit?

Post by Doug »

paul_ wrote:If I ever get a singlecut LP kit the Gretsch Paul shall ride again...Past a certain point they became the only thing I ever built on Kisekae
Not sure exactly what you're referring to...a build yer own guitar kit?..."Gretsch Paul"?..."Kisekae"? Would you explain? And the reason I'm curious is the LP-lookin guitar with the f-holes looks just like my beloved guitar, a BluesHawk.

Can you explain what it is?

Cheers,
Doug
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Kisekae flash guitar builder thingie: http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/yswtct-kis ... M%20System

Made those pics on it, but would really like to turn a DIY LP kit into one.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doug

Gibson BluesHawk

Post by Doug »

paul_ wrote:Kisekae flash guitar builder thingie: http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/yswtct-kis ... M%20System Made those pics on it, but would really like to turn a DIY LP kit into one.
Okay, thanks Paul. A cool tool and nice pictures.

Hey, no need to build unless building is yer passion; check out the wonderful Gibson BluesHawk if you haven't become familiar with this model. I have two and love em. You can buy this Gibson, with P90s (and a dummy coil for the humbuck function), for what you'd invest in your build.

Cheers,
Doug