Another (paranoid) question: Squier or Fender?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Golden_Sonic

Another (paranoid) question: Squier or Fender?

Post by Golden_Sonic »

I'm saving money for MY Christmas present and I could have the necessary amount to finally get a Squier Mustang but I've found 2 used Fender Mustang (both with different price: the first one 450€ in Rome, a friend of mine who lives there could get it to me so I can avoid the shipping cost; and the second one 500€) and now I don't know if take the Squier or still save money for an used Fender
(and delay my Christmas present ç_ç)... What's the real difference between Squier and Fender Mustang? Is Fender actually better than Squier?
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
Viljami

Post by Viljami »

A good Squier is better than a bad Fender. NB, I've never played the Squier-stangs, but if they're anything like the other new Squiers that I have actually played, they are pretty badass. Then again, it isn't like Fender Japan is known to make bad instruments either.

Really hard to say anything definitive without trying them out. What reissues are the Fender- ones?
Wild spirit of the Eagle, Black hawk, bird of prey design
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

They seem like decent prices for Fenders, and I prefer used guitars, so long as they're not smashed up. I've not heard spectacular thing about the Squier bridges, but I've not played one. I miss my cij Mustang a lot, though. Essentially, I'd go for one of those used Fenders.
Doug

Post by Doug »

BobArsecake wrote:They seem like decent prices for Fenders, and I prefer used guitars, so long as they're not smashed up. I've not heard spectacular thing about the Squier bridges, but I've not played one. I miss my cij Mustang a lot, though. Essentially, I'd go for one of those used Fenders.
The Fenders will always have cache and likely will hold better value for resale (or as a valued collectable).

I've played recent-manufacture Squiers, including Mustangs, and found good ones that were easily as good as Fenders. And I do think the latest reissues by Fender and Squier are much better than the originals (my Mustang is 1965 all original).

So (depending upon the specific guitar at hand) Squier and Fender may be equally good players. New, used, shouldn't matter for playability. But I doubt Squiers will retain value like a Fender. Personally, I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it, and with that said, I'd opt for a used Fender.

BTW, a detail to consider...do all the guitars you're considering come with HSC?

Cheers,
Doug
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Doug wrote:
BobArsecake wrote:They seem like decent prices for Fenders, and I prefer used guitars, so long as they're not smashed up. I've not heard spectacular thing about the Squier bridges, but I've not played one. I miss my cij Mustang a lot, though. Essentially, I'd go for one of those used Fenders.
The Fenders will always have cache and likely will hold better value for resale (or as a valued collectable).

I've played recent-manufacture Squiers, including Mustangs, and found good ones that were easily as good as Fenders. And I do think the latest reissues by Fender and Squier are much better than the originals (my Mustang is 1965 all original).

So (depending upon the specific guitar at hand) Squier and Fender may be equally good players. New, used, shouldn't matter for playability. But I doubt Squiers will retain value like a Fender. Personally, I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it, and with that said, I'd opt for a used Fender.

BTW, a detail to consider...do all the guitars you're considering come with HSC?

Cheers,
Excuse me, what do you mean with HSC?
In each case, unlikely, I can't try either Squier or Fender so my only references are Youtube videos, your experiences and, maybe, my Squier Duo Sonic to imagine how the Squier-stang could be...
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Hard shell case.
Johnny Noir

Post by Johnny Noir »

i hate the squier stang (but i'm in love with my squier vmjm)
i see you have nice deals, go!
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I have a cv duosonic and a vm jaguar. I would say, both guitars are as good as my fenders. But i've never played a squier mustang - so i can't say anything about it. What's about testing the squier mustang and shipping it back if it's not good (i think in italy you should have a 14days shipping back guarantee?)?

As a side note: For a used fender mustang i would not pay more than 450€.
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

BobArsecake wrote:Hard shell case.
Ok, you refer to an hard case: no, all the Stangs I'm considering have just a gig bag. Usually, the price for an used Fender Mustang is about 600-750€ here in Italy (the price for a new one is 850-890€ if you buy it online, I think more than 890€ in a real shop).
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

I liked the Squier Mustang I tried. Personally I thought the Squier stang neck had a more pleasing feel than the Squier Jag neck I tried - depends if you like slim or chunky though. You WILL have to learn to set up the bridge and trem, but really that stands for any mustang unless it comes to you already set up.

I can't state this enough: Most of the perceived benefit between similar guitars is down to set up, excepting where there are insurmountable defects.

That being said, for the build quality etc (and hopefully better manufactured parts) you can't go wrong with second hand Japanese Fender. Will hold it's second hand value too of course.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I am also paranoid about guitars.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Big difference woth noting will be that the Squier has a 9.5 board, and Med/Jumbo frets. The Fender has a 7.25 and skinny frets. So that will be down to personal preference.

For direct comparison, I have a CIJ Jag, and a VM Jag. The CIJ is a "better" put together instrument. It feels more robust, the finish is better (things like slightly rolled fretboard edges), and it feels more "solid". However, the VM is lighter (being bass wood), is more resonant, and has better sounding pick ups. They both have their merits, and I'd be hard pressed to pick if I had too.

I also have the KC mustang (also CIJ), and it's a belter. Fretwork, and finish were excellent straight out the box.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The new Squier Jazzmaster I had was a great guitar build wise, however the electronics were UTTER SHIT.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

I would take fender over squier, anyday!

Sure Squier can be good playing guitar.
And if you mod them they can be really great to play.

But here is the thing for me. They feel so cheap.
And not really the guitar i wanna pick up and play.

More for the beginners whos going to decide if they wanna play.

And if you wanna sell it later youll get almost nothing for it, if its made in
Indondsia, China or Korea.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Bullshit, you cockend. I've been playing guitar for 15 years and I'd happily take a Squier guitar as a primary weapon of choice. The quality can be variable the lower down the chain you go but the majority are great quality, affordable instruments. Stop talking bollocks.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

The Classic Vibe line models I've tried have all felt EASILY as well made as real fenders. The CV Tele i got of George feels like a million dollars. it looks stunning, the build quality and finish is immaculate, the neck feels like a proper fender with rolled edges and lovely gloss tint...really really fucking good.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

Well you just had your opinion (ekwatts).
My words may be bullshit to you and some others.
Well lets say good for you then.

Im still standing on what i just said.

I would recommend try these guitars before you buy.
No one except you can decide what you like.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

What you said is demonstrably false. Many, many guitarists will disagree with you.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Which classic vide tele have you got Dave? I like the look of the CV custom with the rosewood board and the binding. I played a 50 CV tele, and wasn't so impressed.

The J Mascis JM is made in China > is pretty much a CV Jazzmaster, or a modern player. It's a trmendous guitar, and is genuinely a better instrument to the VM Jag I have.

I gig the JMJM, but would have no quams about gigging the VM Jag either.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I also have a vm jag and a squier jmascis jm. I feel not a big difference in building quality and i have gigged both. This are very fine and solid guitars.

If someone feels the differences between fender and squiers, he should play the better thing. I play guitar since nearly 30 years and own fenders and squiers from usa, mexico, japan, indonesia and china. I don't feel big differences :oops:

... only the hellokittycaster feels a bit cheaper - but this doesn't mean i don't like to play it...

The question was if it's worth to wait for getting a fender over getting immediately a squier. Because of the neck/fret-differences i will say it's better to test it...