Squier Bronco Bass questions

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Golden_Sonic

Squier Bronco Bass questions

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Getting interested in to this bass and I did some researches: it seems that the Squier Bronco mounts a ridiculous cheap Strat-single coil. Is this bass playable on a guitar amp (it has the same scale length of the Bass VI, 30")? And how about to upgrade this bass with a better GUITAR single coil pickup (some people put a Lace sensor Red on it) instead of a bass single coil (the other idea was a Seymour Duncan P-bass single coil)? Finally, is the Mustang Bass pickguard and control plate suitable on this?
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

a strat hotrail is perfect for bronco i put a gfs rail in mine
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

brainfur wrote:a strat hotrail is perfect for bronco i put a gfs rail in mine
Have you ever tried it on a guitar amp?
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

yeah u can play any bass thru a guitar amp but it will not sound very good-- its ok for practice but not performing or recording
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

What I'm trying to say is if the Bronco bass may be used as a guitar through a guitar amp (I wonder it because of its single coil pickup and its short scale length, the same of the Bass VI).
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

its only got 4 strings so the string spacing is like a bass its not gonna feel anything like a bass VI

but theres not a huge difference between a bass and a guitar they are like different versions of the same thing so if u wanna experiemetn then go ahead-- be careful tho b/c u hear anecdotes of ppl distroying guitar amp speakers w. a bass
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Golden_Sonic wrote:What I'm trying to say is if the Bronco bass may be used as a guitar through a guitar amp (I wonder it because of its single coil pickup and its short scale length, the same of the Bass VI).
No, not really. It's a bass. Short scale length results in deeper tones with a more fundamental sound and fewer overtones. If you put a better single coil guitar pickup on it, it will sound even more like a bass. Guitar pickups and bass pickups aren't all that different from each other.

Sure, you could play it on a guitar amp, turn up the treble and turn down the bass, to get a noodly sound, but you can do that with any bass with suitably light roundwound strings. Bass VI also sounds like a bass, too, if you treat it like one.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

honeyiscool wrote:No, not really. It's a bass. Short scale length results in deeper tones with a more fundamental sound and fewer overtones. If you put a better single coil guitar pickup on it, it will sound even more like a bass. Guitar pickups and bass pickups aren't all that different from each other.
And what do you suggest me? what is better between a guitar singlecoil or a Seymour Duncan P bass singlecoil on a Bronco?
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Don't spend any money on modding a bronco if u don't have a bass amp?
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

brainfur wrote:Don't spend any money on modding a bronco if u don't have a bass amp?
And why? I'll buy a bass amp anyway, sooner or later... I need a cheap bass for home recordings and the Bronco is a short scale, that's the reason why I want one.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

brainfur wrote:
It's too expensive for me now, the lowest price I've found is on Thomann for €235 + €20 shipping cost = €255 and I don't have enough money. An used Bronco bass + a Lace Sensor/Seymour Duncan pickup would be cheaper anyway.
If I can't find an used Bronco, I guess I'll take this P Bass copy or an Epiphone EB0 in cherry red finish. If I had much more money, I'd buy a Squier VM Mustang Bass and then I could rest in peace.
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Golden_Sonic wrote:
honeyiscool wrote:No, not really. It's a bass. Short scale length results in deeper tones with a more fundamental sound and fewer overtones. If you put a better single coil guitar pickup on it, it will sound even more like a bass. Guitar pickups and bass pickups aren't all that different from each other.
And what do you suggest me? what is better between a guitar singlecoil or a Seymour Duncan P bass singlecoil on a Bronco?
I made a relatively comprehensive Bronco modding guide a few years ago:

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42850

I absolutely suggest the Lace Red Sensor, as that is what I am most familiar with on this bass. I have not tried Duncan P or rails pickups because the Red Sensor has worked out so well for me.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Lumpy Waters

Post by Lumpy Waters »

I play both my Bronco Bass and my Mustang through the same Gallien Krueger guitar amps (from the 80's). One is a little combo amp and one is just a preamp I use for recording. Sounds great. The stock pickup sounds good to me but I'll probably replace it someday with a Bill Lawrence dual rail pickup, which is what I have in the Mustang.
moore65

Re: Squier Bronco Bass questions

Post by moore65 »

Golden_Sonic wrote: bass single coil (the other idea was a Seymour Duncan P-bass single coil)?
The spacing on the single coil 4 pole P-bass pups isn't the same as the string spacing on the Bronco. I tried it a while ago. You could slant it to work, but then you'd have to make the cavity bigger and make a new pickguard. Could be cool, but also a pain in the butt.

Maybe I'll try that, I have my Bronco and the humbucker I put in it needs to be rewired...and a single coil P-bass pup laying around. I could just make a new pickguard. Yeah I'm bored at the moment!
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP