fantasy

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

plopswagon
cutesy tag

fantasy

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
YuriK

Post by YuriK »

Thats beautiful
Beau In Space wrote:I hear this guy uses a capo.
Josh wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU POUR WINE ON IT INSTEAD OF BEER.
euan wrote:stop trying to put guitar mojo arrows on yuri's dick
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Make it yo
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I just need to know what to use for the black blocks.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
SherwoodJim

Post by SherwoodJim »

plopswagon wrote:I just need to know what to use for the black blocks.
I considered doing some a while back. Some ideas here:LINK
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Love it. Personally I'd go rosewood with dots, but I appreciate your vision.

One serious suggestion: why not a Toronado bridge instead? Same great hardtail, more saddles.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

or this?

I made that at work an I could only find a good image of the Musicmaster/Duo-Sonic bridge.

I like the maple necks I've already got tons of rosewood.
► Show Spoiler
Rox

Post by Rox »

Rather a Toronado with JM Pickups.... :D
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nice job on the bridge! Looks perfect.

What about the body? Thinking to carve one from scratch?

I think the maple with black blocks is essential for this build. Otherwise the mismatched pup covers make no sense. Just saying I'd love to do an identical build for myself but with rosewood instead.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Rox wrote:Rather a Toronado with JM Pickups.... :D
Damn, that's one of my dream builds but I'd have to find the right person to do the routing. Would be much easier to drop in a pair of HB sized mean 90s.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Yeah, I have 5 body blanks my brother put together for me years ago just gathering dust in my closet. Gonna do this guitar a Swinger and a couple of Duo-Sonics for the kids, and maybe an Esquire for me as well.

I don't want to be one of those guys that post the start of a project and never does anything with it (which is totally something I'd do) but I guess this is going to be my commitment to this project.

So to break it down, I'm gonna make the neck, maple with a separate maple fret board in true Fender 70's style, black blocks and binding, Alder body Black over white and gently reliced, because me playing it will relic it pretty good anyhow, which is why I have the mismatched pickup covers, I'm gonna bust the white one up so it looks like it's had a hard life. Hardtail, through the body bridge, not sure which pups yet definitely Jazzys but there's a ton to choose from.

I hope I keep this up and will keep y'all posted
► Show Spoiler
cur

Post by cur »

YES!

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Worked on some templates today, if they look a little off its just the odd angle I shot them. Cooterfinger I'm using your drawing for the Swinger. Next step is to go over to my friend's to borrow the bandsaw.
► Show Spoiler
MattK

Post by MattK »

I presume you know there is a Modern Player Jazzmaster with black blocks n binding. And a black body too. You could install the hardtail bridge and leave the trem there, if you wanted. Or blank it off.
visceral

Post by visceral »

MatthewK wrote:
I presume you know there is a Modern Player Jazzmaster with black blocks n binding. And a black body too. You could install the hardtail bridge and leave the trem there, if you wanted. Or blank it off.
^ I was just wondering the same thing
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I didn't realise they had binding too, I thought it was just blocks. Nice.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

No binding, also 9.5 radios with medium jumbo frets and the truss rod adjuster on the headstock. I want binding, 7.25 vintage radius and Vintage frets and the adjuster at the heel.

Oh and I want to build it. That's the fun part.
► Show Spoiler
MattK

Post by MattK »

Gotcha - one could always try binding, but 9.5 is a deal breaker. Except my Greco Strat, but that gets *everything* wrong, including being a Strat, which is somehow why I love it.
Those Modern Player mashups of otherwise rare features shit me, to be honest.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Just so I actually say something helpful - any commercial plastics retailer could sell you an offcut of 2mm black acrylic sheet for a dollar or two. Any fine tooth saw would cut that into the block shapes, then you sand the edges and you're good. Inlay them flat before sanding the radius into the fretboard. Or if you want to buy a premade neck with frets installed, you could install and then use a scraper to take the blocks down to the fretboard surface. You'd have to sand it anyway, because you will need some filler around the edges of the blocks.
Ooh - or if you might want to pull the frets, sand the proper radius then refret vintage, Eden do a maple neck with black blocks for $69.99!
http://www.edenguitars.com/eden-pre-sha ... ock-inlay/
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

hmmmmmm, just found this...

► Show Spoiler