Working on plans

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Been forever but made a bit of progress. Got two bodies to this point.

neck from a different build

They're rough round the neck area as I'd like to build the neck first and I'm still undecided what one is going to be? Swaying between a bass or baratone?
Anyhoo... hoping as always to be finished soonish
cur

Post by cur »

looks nice. I had forgotten about this project.

olin

Post by olin »

These are looking good so far.
Did you get your wood from David Dyke for that? I'm tempted to try him out but thought I'd ask first.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

Cheers Cur. I really struggled to move these forward. Just can't get the access to the tools I need. Hopefully more soon

olin wrote:These are looking good so far.
Did you get your wood from David Dyke for that? I'm tempted to try him out but thought I'd ask first.
No. I got a huge bit of wood from a local timber merchant. It cost £25 and I got enough for four bodies. Two of them aren't perfect but for painted guitars they'll be fine.
Problem with that is reducing the wood. I couldn't get access to a thicknesser or bandsaw like I'd enitially planned so got a local joiner to thickness, join and rough cut them.
It worked out at about £21 per body. I'm hoping to get future access to a workshop by getting an art studio with one on site. Just missed on one with a huge workshop
which is pretty annoying but I recently met a guy from art school that does a lot of fabrication and he was saying his place might have a spasce coming up?

Still a lot of work to do in terms of finishing them off but I've got a good idea of how to go about it. I'm getting the wood for the necks in the next few weeks and they don't
take too long to do so should see some progress soon.... but I might have said that ages ago to